Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Beware re-purchasing your Kindle books

I don't know why, but several times lately I have noticed Amazon no longer labels ebooks I've already purchased as ebooks I already own. Without realizing it, I have re-purchased ebooks I already owned because I did not realize Amazon is no longer always putting the notice at the top of the Kindle page when it's a book I already own.

Just a heads up to carefully check before re-purchasing an ebook you may already own.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It usually happens when the author has changed the ASIN for the book.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Just a heads up to carefully check before re-purchasing an ebook you may already own.
Good to know. Thanks. I've been trusting Amazon to let me know. (Although I don't buy as many books as many here do, so I'll usually catch it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I had that happen when I tried to purchase and ebook I had already purchased but got the prompt from Amazon. On, the other hand I have also gotten prompts from Amazon to purchase an ebook I have previously bought again!

This happened after allegedly I had previously reached the limit of downloading the ebook different devices. I tried deleting the ebook from different devices however I was still unable to download the ebook to the device I wanted to read it on. I didn't want to deregister a device the ebook was on to add it to my new device so it looked like the only option was to purchase the ebook again. However, after calling Amazon customer support they sent the ebook to my new device free of charge.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It usually happens when the author has changed the ASIN for the book.
That is interesting. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Watch out for Changing Cover....also Titles ugh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Watch out for Changing Cover....also Titles ugh
Yes, that would be easy to miss. And I think Amazon got me with that one awhile back. I thought for sure I had Brian Jacques book "Mossflower". I think the original had the subtitle - book 2 of Redwall, or something like that. But the newer one had: "Mossflower A Tale from Redwall".
That's a good warning.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
I don't know why, but several times lately I have noticed Amazon no longer labels ebooks I've already purchased as ebooks I already own.
I have indeed seen a few like that and even grabbed one ... luckily it was a freebie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
This happened after allegedly I had previously reached the limit of downloading the ebook different devices. I tried deleting the ebook from different devices however I was still unable to download the ebook to the device I wanted to read it on. I didn't want to deregister a device the ebook was on to add it to my new device so it looked like the only option was to purchase the ebook again. However, after calling Amazon customer support they sent the ebook to my new device free of charge.
I had something similar happen to me, and talk about a marathon event to get fixed. At one point, after removing the ebook from every device (including the PC app), the guy I was dealing with at Amazon told me I needed to wipe one of my devices and start again. I refused of course (way too many to reload), and he eventually passed me up the chain and someone with more power, fixed things.

I really don't understand the need to limit the number of devices you can have an ebook on, certainly not for fiction. All the devices are in your name and linked to your credit card, so just a fool's paradigm to think you are somehow gonna overcome DRM using that method.

"Here friend, have this device of mine for free, and while you are at it, use one-click purchase for any ebooks you want." .... not bloody likely is it, truly ludicrous!

Last edited by Timboli; 11-19-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
I really don't understand the need to limit the number of devices you can have an ebook on, certainly not for fiction. All the devices are in your name and linked to your credit card, so just a fool's paradigm to think you are somehow gonna overcome DRM using that method.

"Here friend, have this device of mine for free, and while you are at it, use one-click purchase for any ebooks you want." .... not bloody likely is it, truly ludicrous!
I can think of scenarios where this could occur, say with a book club. Someone sets up an account for the club and buys the book of the month using a gift card. Everyone in the club then installs the Kindle app on their own device, signs into that account and reads the book. That situation would be even more likely for students and textbooks.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Timboli ... Amazon does NOT Link ebooks to Credit Cards. You don't even need a Credit Card to buy anything on amazon.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Timboli ... Amazon does NOT Link ebooks to Credit Cards. You don't even need a Credit Card to buy anything on amazon.
Your Kindle is effectively linked to Credit Card if your account has a credit card. I change address slightly (even as it was works) if I'm loaning Kindle or worried about 1 Click etc as then Kindle purchases are blocked and website purchase needs the Card details confirmed.
The way Amazon uses Credit Card and allows purchases too easily via Kindle is shoddy. The so called "1 Click" is nonsense too.

A separate problem is being in Ireland. Some things can be bought of USA site (postage too high) or German site (has English and same Currency as Ireland, Euro). However ALL eBooks must be bought from Amazon.co.uk, in STERLING if your address is Irish. Also Search mostly does not indicate if whatever can be shipped at all, you can ONLY be sure doing checkout, at which point not only does the price change more than the difference in VAT, but shipping changes. Then sometimes when confirmation email with "the order can no longer be changed" the origin is Hong Kong or China and not the original listed UK address.

I found I could not complete checkout on ANY Amazon site with a refurbished PaperWhite 2015. The final price for a new model was "free shipping" but £20 more, no £10 discount as per listing.

Also they preregister the Kindle to your account!

The LEAST of the problems is Amazon letting you re-purchase the same eBook.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Not Mine I Use GIFT Cards! I don't have any Credit Cards on my Account.

When you order a Kindle Mark it as a GIFT. You don't even need to use it with Any Account.... Sideload the eBooks.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Amazon will refund you if you realise before you read it. I think there's an option to return a book in the long press from book title drop down menu on your kindle.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post

I live in a retirement home and I'll often lend a Kindle to a neighbor with a book on it he/she wants to read. In this unit there are only 16 apartments and another 16 a couple blocks away so this isn't a big issue. But if I was in a larger place with hundreds of tenants that kind of limit would make a lot of sense.

By the way, lest anyone think I'm defrauding Amazon by doing this I have discussed it with their support people and they say this is a common practice and they really don't care, within reason. They say their TOS is there to prevent abuse.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I don't know why, but several times lately I have noticed Amazon no longer labels ebooks I've already purchased as ebooks I already own. Without realizing it, I have re-purchased ebooks I already owned because I did not realize Amazon is no longer always putting the notice at the top of the Kindle page when it's a book I already own.

Been happening since the early days of Kindle. Usually happens when a book goes from one publisher to another or from a commercial publisher to being self pubbed (sometimes it's the same publisher, but a new "edition", but not all that often in my experience unless there is extensive content changes). The ASIN changes, as Terisa mentioned, and the book then becomes a different item in Amazon's eyes.

Note this isn't an Amazon unique thing. It happens on Kobo too, & I think I've had it happen at B&N too although I don't buy much there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote