Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2022, 09:39 PM   #1
aggie4always
aggie4always began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhile (10th generation)
calibre not finding my kindle

I am using Linux on a chromebook. This fact being stated I have all the files except the program itself on an external hard drive as there is no storage on the chromebook. The first time I connected my kindle via USB connect I got about 100 of the message box that states the error that occurs with covers. Now when I try and connect it, the computer is acting like the kindle has been disconnected when I have not done that. I have run the debug in calibre and I have it in this post. Can someone help me figure out how to fix this issue. I have restarted both devices and linux with another restart of the the computer.
Spoiler:
calibre 5.44 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-5.10.114-16024-gbdf1547bd4f4-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.10.114-16024-gbdf1547bd4f4', '#1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 22 19:04:26 PDT 2022')
Python 3.8.5
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 16) && EpubMerge (2, 11, 0) && EpubSplit (3, 0, 0) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 5, 1) && Generate Cover (2, 1, 0) && Goodreads (1, 5, 3) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 29) && Kobo Books (1, 9, 2) && Manage Series (1, 3, 0) && Quality Check (1, 12, 0)
USB devices on system:
[['0x1949', '0x324', '0x401', '', 'Internal Storage', 'G0016R03038707ME']]

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
No MTP devices connected to system

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'lo': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'peer': '127.0.0.1'}], 'eth0': [{'addr': '100.115.92.198', 'netmask': '255.255.255.240', 'broadcast': '100.115.92.207'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...
USBDevice(busnum=1, devnum=2, vendor_id=0x1949, product_id=0x0324, bcd=0x0401, manufacturer=, product=Internal Storage, serial=G0016R03038707ME)
Detected possible device KINDLE2

Devices possibly connected: Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite/Voyage Device Interface,
Trying to open Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite/Voyage Device Interface ... failed
Opening of the following devices failed
<calibre.devices.kindle.driver.KINDLE2 object at 0x7d594a46e310>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 713, in open
File "calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 577, in open_linux
calibre.devices.errors.DeviceError: Unable to detect the KINDLE2 disk drive. Either the device has already been ejected, or your kernel is exporting a deprecated version of SYSFS.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/devices/__init__.py", line 159, in debug
File "calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 716, in open
File "calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 577, in open_linux
calibre.devices.errors.DeviceError: Unable to detect the KINDLE2 disk drive. Either the device has already been ejected, or your kernel is exporting a deprecated version of SYSFS.

aggie4always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC chromebooks dont export USB devices so you cant connect to them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:48 PM   #3
aggie4always
aggie4always began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhile (10th generation)
Thank you. I was told that this was a way to connect my kindle to a computer that has calibre. I guess I will deal with no covers on my kindle.
aggie4always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4always View Post
Thank you. I was told that this was a way to connect my kindle to a computer that has calibre. I guess I will deal with no covers on my kindle.
There is a way. By not running ChromeOS. ChromeOS is a walled garden worse then what Amazon does with KFX.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-10-2022 at 04:12 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There are lots of drawbacks using ChromeOS. You found one.
OTOH many folk don't do the stuff we do, so they just love the cheaper price these systems supply.
Balance. Cheaper or meet your full needs.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your solution is to buy a new laptop with a full OS such as Windows.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Any old or new computing device that's not a Tablet or Chrome book and can run at least one of Windows (only 64 bit now), Mac OS (only 64 bit now) or Linux (Mint + Mate Desktop is most stable & compatible, but 19.3 is last 32 bit version), depending on what other applications needed.

You can install Linux on a Chrome book instead of ChromeOS, but it's too cheaply made hardware produced especially for Chrome OS.

A Chrome Book is in concept closer to a graphical Cloud Terminal than a general purpose computer, though later versions allow local programs and data. It's misleadingly advertised on UK television.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Any old or new computing device that's not a Tablet or Chrome book and can run at least one of Windows (only 64 bit now), Mac OS (only 64 bit now) or Linux (Mint + Mate Desktop is most stable & compatible, but 19.3 is last 32 bit version), depending on what other applications needed.

You can install Linux on a Chrome book instead of ChromeOS, but it's too cheaply made hardware produced especially for Chrome OS.

A Chrome Book is in concept closer to a graphical Cloud Terminal than a general purpose computer, though later versions allow local programs and data. It's misleadingly advertised on UK television.
I think they are misleadingly advertised worldwide.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think they are misleadingly advertised worldwide.
I'd imagined so, but I accidently saw some of UK's ITV on TV here in Ireland. I watch DVD & BD & VHS on TV set. Rarely TV. Wife watches Tennis on German & UK TV (FTA satellite).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, chromebook, linux, not finding kindle