Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That's really an individual level question.

For me, the iPad (or similar tablet) certainly could. I like my Kindle, but I don't really read enough to need the e-ink, super long battery life etc. and would be fine reading on the iPad.

Reading for 30-60 minutes here and there (usually just before sleeping 4 or 5 nights a week) on my Kindle, I don't really have to worry about the eyestrain, battery life etc.

I read that long on my girlfriend's iPad a couple of times the past two days and didn't have any eye strain issues etc.

But on the other hand, for avid readers who are reading a ton every day, something like the iPad probably can't replace their e-reader.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
msrie
msrie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
You get no more eyestrain from reading LCD than e-ink! eye strain is caused by keeping the eyes focused at the same distance it doesn't matter what your looking at. regularly looking away at something in the middle to far distance will remove eye strain using either device.
I do get eye strain from reading even a page of a book on a lcd computer screen. Its nothing like eink screen where i do not get tired at all looking at it.

So for me i will not get ipad, but i am sure plenty will.
msrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
You get no more eyestrain from reading LCD than e-ink! eye strain is caused by keeping the eyes focused at the same distance it doesn't matter what your looking at. regularly looking away at something in the middle to far distance will remove eye strain using either device.
It's interesting to see the number of comments from iPad users so far in which they relate how they had to lower the brightness or switch to sepia mode to make it comfortable for reading.

The biggest issue is size and weight, though - it's just too big and too heavy in comparison to 6" devices.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrie View Post
I do get eye strain from reading even a page of a book on a lcd computer screen. Its nothing like eink screen where i do not get tired at all looking at it.

I sold my reader with the e-ink screen because I was getting horrible eye strain. I've been reading on my iPhone for the last few months and have had no problems with my eyes.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
The biggest issue is size and weight, though - it's just too big and too heavy in comparison to 6" devices.
Doesn't bother me as I mainly read my Kindle laying down and resting on my chest and had no problems doing the same with my girlfriend's ipad.

Sitting up I just rest in on my lap with no issues.

I like the larger size, easier to have large font, more words per page etc.
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
It's interesting to see the number of comments from iPad users so far in which they relate how they had to lower the brightness or switch to sepia mode to make it comfortable for reading.
It shouldn't come as a surprise. The reason you don't have to change the brightness of an eInk screen is that it's always the same brightness as the rest of the room.

Your eye can't tell if the light hitting it is reflected off a page or comes straight from a monitor. Your eye CAN tell that said light is TOO bright. So adjust the brightness of the screen to match the ambient light and a good deal of the eye strain goes away.

Bring the device closer -- like where you'd read a book, and adjust the font size. You'll find you have a very nice reading experience.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrie View Post

So I assume you can never use a computer then for more than reading what 4 or 5 minutes?

not trying to be funny (honest )but have you considered an eye test?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #23
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Of course it can. It just can't replace all of them. But it is clearly a capable ebook reading device.

I think that the way to frame the question is, "will the iPad be the ebook reading device of choice for anyone looking to buy his or her first edevice?"

I think that the way to answer this question is to pretend that the iPad was primarily an ebook reading device, without all the other capabilites it has.

So...how many people would buy the heaviest edevice with the shortest battery life, if that edevice had the only color screen, read the most ebook file formats (drm & otherwise) and was at the upper range of the cost spectrum?

Answer: not many. It's just not a very big niche.

But what the iPad will do is attract readers who want an all-in-one media device, including books, blogs, magazines, movies, internet, email, twitter, etc.

Readers like me.

Last edited by Harmon; 04-05-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please have the full URL? I do not click on hidden links. No idea where they may end up. Thanks.
A bit silly. Any link can re-direct you to somewhere else.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Answer: not many. It's just not a very big niche.

But what the iPad will do is attract readers who want an all-in-one media device, including books, blogs, magazines, movies, internet, email, twitter, etc.

Readers like me.
Yeah, and what it will also attract are casual readers who would never buy a dedicated reading device.

They'll buy it for the web surfing, games and other random apps (as well as the hype) and hopefully end up buying some books, magazines, comics etc. on it.

So it, and other tablets as they roll out, can expand the market for e-books by getting capable machines in the hands of people who don't read enough to buy a dedicated reading device.

But I agree with your assessment. I was much more impressed with it than I thought after playing with my girlfriends for a few hours. It's just very slick and being a person that spends more time on movies, games, net surfing etc. than novel reading, it's a device I'd get a lot more use out of than I do my Kindle which just gets read in bed.

I found it a lot smoother and more enjoyable surfing the net, watching a show on ABC etc. on the iPad than I do doing the same on my laptop.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Does the iPad get hot as laptops sometimes do?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #27
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Ultimately, the answer to this question lies not so much in how many people out there like to read e-books, but with how many of those people are die-hard e-ink fanatics.
I'm not an e-ink fanatic, and I won't touch the iPad. I'm happy to read on glowing screens, don't care much about typographic features beyond what's standard for webpages, and am willing to do a fair bit of document conversion work to read the books I want.

My two biggest factors in an ebook device are portability & battery life. The iPad may have enough battery life, but its size & weight knocks it right out of the other category. If I wanted to read on something that bulky, I'd get a netbook.

At $500, *especially* if the bookstore isn't publicly viewable, the iPad is a non-starter as a competitive ebook device. It'll be much-loved by people who want all the other features, but it won't be able to compete with ebook-only devices that are half the price and work better for leisure reading.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I didn't notice any heat coming from it. Even when watching some streaming HD video for a couple hours.

Certainly nothing like a laptop.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
My two biggest factors in an ebook device are portability & battery life. The iPad may have enough battery life, but its size & weight knocks it right out of the other category. If I wanted to read on something that bulky, I'd get a netbook.
Fair points. I didn't mind the size and weight myself. I will say the form factor is vastly superior to netbooks (or laptops) for reading.

I found it much more comfortable to read lounging on the couch, or laying in bed, than I do with a laptop or netbook. I also found it superior for web surfing--not for forums etc., but great for reading some news sights, blogs etc. on the couch.

Though part of it for me is that I spend so much time on pcs and laptops doing work (and goofing online when needing breaks etc.) that I pretty much hate them and don't like to do anything with them during my leisure time.

Quote:
At $500, *especially* if the bookstore isn't publicly viewable, the iPad is a non-starter as a competitive ebook device. It'll be much-loved by people who want all the other features, but it won't be able to compete with ebook-only devices that are half the price and work better for leisure reading.
Yeah, I don't see it having much impact in the avid reader market. But I also thing Apple doesn't give a crap about that niche market.

While I'm not buying one yet, I fit more they type of market they're at. Younger folk, into tech gadgets who spend a lot of time on stuff like TV, movies, games, random net surfing, read some news, read some magazines and read a book here and there. Time will tell if this niche for multimedia tablets is any bigger than the avid e-reader niche.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #30
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Nope. That's a big plus for reading over the laptop for sure.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote