Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Just wanted to comment on this:

Quote:
On a normal transflective LCD, there is a colour filter that sits on top of the display with (usually) red, green and blue filters for each subpixel. Underneath the panel is the equivalent of a 2-way mirror. There are two problems with this:

1) The colour filter massively reduces the brightness of the light, both as it goes in and again as it comes out
2) The mirror layer cuts down on the amount of light that can get through from the backlight
This is true of a color LCD display, but not of grayscale displays. While they are no longer fashionable, grayscale LCD displays are quite readable in sunlight with no backlighting. They are not quite as power-efficient as e-ink screens, of course, because the electrophoretic screens, being bi-stable, use no energy between page refreshes, but on the other hand, reading refreshes the screen quite frequently. And LCD screens refresh a lot more quickly than electrophoretic screens. (I personally find the lag pretty annoying when I'm reading journal articles, particularly if I'm trying to quickly skim to find a reference.)

The older grayscale screens didn't have the high DPI count of new LCD screens. I think if someone wanted to bring out a new, high-density grayscale LCD screen with LED backlighting that could be switched off, it could seriously undermine the e-ink market, purely on price. The e-ink displays are trendy, but with the current state of engineering, I think it might be possible to create an LCD grayscale device that would do everything the Kindle does for $100 less, maybe even cheaper.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #47
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Bill Gates

"It's is a nice reader, but there's nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it."

Even Bill Gates is calling it a reader.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
See this thread for info on ClearType:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73493
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Bill Gates

"It's is a nice reader, but there's nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it."

Even Bill Gates is calling it a reader.
Some people call point&shoot devices - cameras and the results - pictures.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by teko View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

the video here gives some views of how ebooks look, I'd be concerned with glare on it
The touch screen seems to be rather unresponsive at times. It is also seems to be more glitter than function.
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #51
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The touch screen seems to be rather unresponsive at times. It is also seems to be more glitter than function.
Don't be so harsh. Based on the video it does what it was designed for very well.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #52
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Maybe we should wait until people have actual production units in their hands before really judging.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #53
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Maybe we should wait until people have actual production units in their hands before really judging.
That's crazy talk.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #54
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The ebooks part looks great. Finally, books can look as good on screen, as they look on paper.

Wish the screen was a bit bigger - 11" maybe. Then it would be closer to the size of a hardcover, and PDFs will be comfortably readable. As it is, it's the same size as my KDX, which is too small.

I am puzzled by both the lack of camera and Flash. Stupid decisions, IMO, which may cost it sales.

It seems you can scribble on screen, which may lead to plausible note-taking apps.

I sure hope there's a way to integrate a dictionary with the the book reader. There are some great dictionaries for the iPhone, which would be perfect for the purpose.

Multitasking..., yeah, Apple should really get with the program here, even if it's not a deal-breaker for me.

For myself, I can't wait to see it, but without Flash, I don't think I'll actually buy it.

I am hoping that in another 2-3 months there are a few Android competitors out there, to push the concept forward. While Apple and Google are in a p***ing match, maybe Google will come up with a larger, IPS-screen tablet, just like they did with the Nexus One....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #55
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
There is a lot of people whom used E-ink screen believe cause no matter how good an LED screen is, there won't be much different to other LCD screen the computer industry has been using for monitors.

As an IT guy who has been using computers for atleast 3 hours at day since age of 14, now in our early 30s, we found our eyes are having trouble focusing at times reading on LED LCDs.

E-ink was a great solution, provide less strain on our eyes.

I do not think Ipad has put enough technology to set itself apart on reading compare to all the large screen photo frames or Mp4 players out there that can do ebooks as extra function. Which means, reading on the ipad will strain my eyes just as i read on the best LED monitor money can buy. Still i will have to see the actual product when it show up in the stores to confirm.

Even if the ipad is not a good e-reader, the exitence of Ipad is important for the industry, as it would force the e-ink bunch catch up in hardware technology and software development, plus bring down the price for newer bigger devices.

Ipad business model will face a lot of challenge, its over entry fee appear stiff for general customers, uptake is the key. The iphone would not have the success today, if the price remain as high as it was at launch.

One thing i am pretty sure is, ipad would be the best device to read unmodified pdf when it comes out.
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #56
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I will be getting an iPad as soon as it's out. I am an avid ebook reader -- and my device is the iPhone. I was SHOCKED at how readable books (text) were on such a small screen, and an lcd one at that. I cannot stand to read books on a PC even with an lcd screen. But for some reason, I do not tire when reading on the iphone. The small size of the screen may actually be a benefit.

I don't have a kindle but I do have actual books. I prefer reading on my iphone to reading actual books. I read indoors in low light far more than outdoors in bright sun light.

Will the iPad be good for long form reading? I do not know. I'm sure eInk will be preferred by lots of people. Horses for courses and all that. I do expect that reading magazines and web content will be MUCH nicer on the iPad than my small screened iphone. I'm really excited by what Wired has been showing as a prototype interface for their magazine.

I like that the iphone is small, comfortable to hold. I'm not sure I'll use my iPad for reading books even when I get it (other than to try it out).

I don't think there is going to be a "universal truth" with regard to the reading experience. Some will think it fine, others will not find it acceptable.

The iPad doesn't have to be "as good" or "the best" book reader. It need merely be "good enough" -- as it does SO much more than a kindle. It is for those other reasons that I'm getting one. And it is the "more than good enough" reading on my iphone that makes me not even WANT an eInk device any more.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #57
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I am puzzled by both the lack of camera and Flash. Stupid decisions, IMO, which may cost it sales.

For myself, I can't wait to see it, but without Flash, I don't think I'll actually buy it.
As far as Flash, I'd suggest reading http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...ant-use-flash/ which is written by a Flash designer. The iPad supports HTML5 which Youtube, Vimeo and from what I've been reading Hulu will also be developing an app for their content on the iPad.

As far as someone on another forum said, a camera is kind of pointless unless you want people looking up your nose during a video chat. A camera on the backside of the device is pointless because the device is rather bulky to hold and take a picture.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #58
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
it turned out that the display is not Pixel QI technology, and the backlight cannot be turned off, which means that it still cannot be used as an ereader for long-hour reading.

SOOOOOooooooo disappointed !!!
I've been reading on small LCD devices like the Palm PDA and iPod Touch for 12 years and have never had any major issues with long reading sessions. I love the eInk screens and want to get one for daytime reading, but the screen is not what is turning me off about the Ipad. It is the price and small amount of storage. Not much of an all in one media device with only 16GBs of storage and getting more means the astronomical price just gets worse.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #59
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
As far as Flash, I'd suggest reading http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...ant-use-flash/ which is written by a Flash designer. The iPad supports HTML5 which Youtube, Vimeo and from what I've been reading Hulu will also be developing an app for their content on the iPad.
Yeah, I've read this blog, and it's uninformed FUD. This has already been discussed at length. The fact remains, the iPhone will be the only major smart phone without Flash, and the iPad will be a large screen device with crippled access to the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
As far as someone on another forum said, a camera is kind of pointless unless you want people looking up your nose during a video chat.
You mean, just like it's on my Mac Book Pro?

So many nonsense arguments floating around, to justify glaring shortcomings.

All this reminds me of the lengthy arguments why nobody needed Cut/Paste and Search on the iPhone.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #60
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
You mean, just like it's on my Mac Book Pro?
Granted the webcam on my laptop is always aimed right at my face.

That would be a bit awkward to hold a tablet at the right height/angle for a lengthy video call etc. But if you have a dock/stand it would be fine as long as you just want to do video chats at a table/desk etc.

Personally, I couldn't care less about having a camera in a tablet as I'd stick with using my laptop or PC for video conferencing even once I buy a tablet.

But I do think it's an easy and cheap feature they probably should put in for people who'd use it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote