Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #46
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I thought my iPhone 4S would not be compatible but it does offer to upgrade. However, I heard that I may not be a good idea as it could be slow. I'll probably wait for 8.1. I'll upgrade the iPad Air before that but I'm giving it a few days for all my critical apps to be updated and debugged.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm somewhat interested in the better interaction that iOS8 and the new Mac OS X (can't remember the name of it) will supposedly have. If that pans out then I'll upgrade my Mac and iThingies, but I'm definitely waiting to see what issues arise.
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #48
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm somewhat interested in the better interaction that iOS8 and the new Mac OS X (can't remember the name of it) will supposedly have. If that pans out then I'll upgrade my Mac and iThingies, but I'm definitely waiting to see what issues arise.
Yes, I'm interested too, although I thought the Mac OS in question was Mavericks but apparently it's Yosemite, which isn't out yet.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #49
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Keep your favorites open as a tab if you want the close button back. It only shows up when there's two or more tabs open.

I'm pretty happy with it on my iPad Mini first generation. The App Store doesn't freeze up when I try and search for something like it did in iOS 7, that's a huge improvement. Safari is reloading pages though, and that's only the downside so far.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Yes, I'm interested too, although I thought the Mac OS in question was Mavericks but apparently it's Yosemite, which isn't out yet.
Yosemite. I should try to remember that by calling it Yosemite Sam, a cartoon character I liked as a kid in the 1960s watching the Bugs Bunny Roadrunner Hour every Saturday morning. Yes, I've got Mavericks now, but I will wait and decide whether to update to Yosemite an my Mac and iOS 8 on my iPad and iPhone once I see how people rate it. I'm not real happy with the way Apple does the coordination between these devices at current. Hopefully the updates will greatly improve the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Keep your favorites open as a tab if you want the close button back. It only shows up when there's two or more tabs open.

I'm pretty happy with it on my iPad Mini first generation. The App Store doesn't freeze up when I try and search for something like it did in iOS 7, that's a huge improvement. Safari is reloading pages though, and that's only the downside so far.
Yes, the iOS 7 and Mavericks searches via iTunes and the App Store are terribly slow and their search engines seem to be rather dysfunctional at times. I can know the exact name of an app, type it in, and the search can't find it. Very frustrating.
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #51
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I gave up long ago on finding apps using the App Store search engine. I use AppZapp, which also allows me to monitor app price drops, and sends me an email when there is a new app from a developer I'm interested in.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #52
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is an article addressing the lack of the camera roll in iOS 8 and workaround for other apps until they are updated. The Photos app now has a Recently Added feature which only shows 30 days and the rest of your photos are in Collections.

Quote:
In Collections on iOS 8 you will see the all of your photos organized by date and location. You can scroll through these photos like you used to do in the Camera Roll but now you can search by location, date and other attributes to find the photos you want.

Unfortunately you cannot access Collections from inside many apps. This includes Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Dropbox, but there are likely other apps impacted by the change.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09...s-breaks-apps/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
How do you mean? As I look at Safari, the favourites are still accessible via the open book icon on the bottom of the screen. Closing a tab hasn't changed either, as far as I can tell. Pressing 'x' will remove it immediately, as will swiping it off the screen.

I meant to say "bookmarks" instead of favorites. I've been used to seeing them on the upper right hand side of the screen. Now they're on the upper left.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411253027.396510.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	128627
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
It's different on iPads. On the iPad it's as WT Sharpe says.

Yes. I'm using an iPad.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It does seem as if Apple is unusually ahead of many of the app developers with this release. Developers appear to be scrambling to catch up.
I suspect developers were holding off until they could get the device itself to test on.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #56
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have updated my iPad4. I had one random crash initially but seems stable now. I'll probably update the other devices in my house soon. I can't find any reason to wait so far. Syncing still works well between different iOS devices and my Mac. I haven't setup family sharing yet. My favorite apps seem to be ok. I rather like the new changes especially in Safari, Messages and widgets.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #57
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm not updating anything yet, I have a 5 an Air and a Mini. I hope to get a 6+ in a few weeks so I'd learn on that they update once things seem okay and I know what I'm doing.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #58
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
iOS 8 has been a disaster for me on iPad 4th gen with retina display. I used to use Caliber to download epub versions of washington post, etc, and email them to ipad. No problem. Now, with iOS 8, wifi is much slower, it seems, and attachments in emails are almost unresponsive, have to wait 10-30 seconds for app selection to come up, and now I can't even open them in ibooks, or bluefire or marvin readers. Doesn't even show up in iBooks, bluereader tells me the file is "access is denied", and Marvin tells me it is encrypted.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems now with iOS 8? Any solutions?
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It does seem as if Apple is unusually ahead of many of the app developers with this release. Developers appear to be scrambling to catch up.
This is why I always wait a month or so before installing a major iOS release. Gives all the updated apps the chance to have bugs ironed out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #60
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I was having a problem with my iPad 3 restarting occasionally for no apparent reason, and that seems to be fixed. So there's one good thing.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote