Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
I'm so confused which to get..

I have a few things I would like to do on my way to and from work, takes about 1.5 hours each way, and yes pay is worth the traveling time.

read books (.pdf, jpg or txt files)
listen to music (on occasion)
read comic books (.pdf, or jpg, doesn't matter to me)(b&w is ok but color is nice)
Wifi would be a great help, just to check mail or d/l a book from guttenberg.

Maybe I should be looking at a PMP instead of a ebook. Something that has a larger screen maybe even 8" or hopefully not a 9" and a screen of at least.

8" or 9" screen
wifi (hopefully to browse the web at guttenberg, or check email)
music
battery lift from 8-10 hours
storage bigger the better
sketching a plus, as I like to doodle.
I do not like to zoom while reading

-================================-

ATM I use a PMP with a 5" screen ONDA vx787 for music and videos and a sony 505 and it has been good, I've read alot with it since I got it as a gift over a year ago. I like the look of the e-ink.

But recently I have been trying to read graphic novels (comic books). either in .PDF format or as .jpg. and it just is not possible with the 6" screen.
-------------------------------------------------
I was thinking of the iliad 2nd edition but (no longer sold in the USA atm, maybe never) (support is almost non existent, if I bought it out of the country when I go on vacation next month would they support it here I do not know)

-================================-
Sony PRC 700- basically the same as my current one with a zoom feature added.
don't think I would want that.
The text is just too small. Also music uses up alot of power.

-------------------------------------------------------
Looks like I might have to get the Kindle DX / iliad 2nd edition / iliad 1000S / Astak Mentor 900
-------------------------------------------------------

Attached is 2 examples of what I would be reading, could someone try and load them up on their machine and let me know if the the txt is readable at all, so I can get an idea of what size i need to get. BTW I do not have a problem reading small print as long as it is legible.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...reenSht008.jpg
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...file=14431.jpg

Last edited by alilxmas; 06-16-2009 at 06:38 PM.
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
There is only one conclusion: wait for new models!
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
There is only one conclusion: wait for new models!
Or buy a netbook!
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
If you want/need a general-purpose Internet machine, then I think the Netbooks are the way to go. They cost about the same as a current model eBook reader. Battery life isn't as good, but you can do more with them than just read a book.

I don't play music when I read. I don't listen to audio books on my Kindle or my Sony PRS-505. I don't use the Whispernet in the Kindle for anything other than downloading the samples that I've requested. (I'd get them through my browser if that option were available.)

Today, I take a standard laptop with me everywhere I go. Before my trip to Ireland in September, I will be buying a netbook to keep down the weight of my carry-on and carry-around bags. I'm taking a vacation, but I'm not willing to be offline for nearly 3 weeks, so I'm counting on the Netbook to give me network access at Internet cafes and maybe a hotel or two.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
I dont think a netbook would work, I need more power than I think they can give me.

At work theyre is no place to recharge anything. Also at work I can listen to music or read, maybe a visdeo once and awhile which is why maybe I should just go with a PMP
like the ARCHOS 7. not sure how much the extra 1" is going to help thou.

Wifi web / email
800x480 pixels, 7'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors
320 GB storage
music / video / txt and pdf, image files as well.
battery life is about 10 hours with video and about 39 with music.(removable battery)

at times i like to read and listen to music.

But really like the way e-ink loooks

I am going out of the country in about a month or two, and would like to have something before then.

Hmm a cheaper item that I might try to see if a 7" screen will do is a Chuwi - M70+ only cost over 100 bucks

Elsi Did you read the first book (D Abraham) A shadow in summer, I liked it, will read the second one after I am done with The Wheel of Time (over a dozen books in series)

Last edited by alilxmas; 06-16-2009 at 08:23 PM.
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert