Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Semantic discussion on the phrase "Title Case"

While you're definitely grammatically correct. "Titlecase" is what this particular feature is called in various automated routines ... such as regex. The function capitalizes the first letter of every word with zero regard for filtering words that wouldn't typically be capitalized. In the world of grepping and regexping, "Titlecase" is the familiar terminology for the function being provided. I personally think "Capitalize" would probably confuse more people than it would help.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I personally think "Capitalize" would probably confuse more people than it would help.
Really? Who could not understand "Capitalise"?

This is not about grepping and regexping, it's about chapter titles in a book.
What coders call a routine isn't really relevant to book editors -- the people who invented the term.

Though the coders who created this site: https://saijogeorge.com/title-case-converter did know he difference.

Anyway, it does what it does, but don't mislabel it. It is NOT title case.
It's a good start, but I'd have to finish the job manually.

For instance, it makes:
CHAPTER XI—FINDS PRINT OF MAN’S FOOT ON THE SAND
to
Chapter Xi—Finds Print Of Man’S Foot On The Sand

Last edited by AlanHK; 11-17-2017 at 12:22 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't yell at me. I'm just saying what I know. Start a thread in the Sigil forum about how to go about "titlecasing" text and see for yourself, if you won't take my word for it. I promise you, you'll get a lot of regular expressions before you get any grammar/typography lessons. But it's not my plugin afterall, so I don't really care.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not trying to change how anyone uses the term, except when it really is referring to book titles.

Also, I'm NOT SHOUTING at anyone (yet).

I know what regular expressions are, but the usage in that technical sphere is irrelevant to the usage in the book editor's sphere.

This is a tool used by book editors to edit text that is presented to the reader. Not to prettify code. The result has to follow the rules of book editors, not coders. If a book editor says title case, he does not mean "Finds Print Of Man’S Foot On The Sand".
Old 11-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know what calibre uses for case shifting (home grown or open source library) but it offers both, pretty sure they do as AlanHK would have them do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	160079

But why not call it Capital case

FWIW : In a ToC I would shift "CHAPTER XI—FINDS PRINT OF MAN’S FOOT ON THE SAND" to "Chapter XI—Finds print of man’s foot on the sand" - i.e. Sentence case.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-17-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added FWIW
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I realize this thread begins very awkwardly, but we're not going to clutter up @slowsmile's plugin thread with a semantic debate. So I'm splitting the last few posts there out into their own thread. I really have nothing further to say on the subject, but others can continue if they like. I would point out to AlanHK, however, that not all users of Sigil are "Book Editors" (in the capitalized sense). There's quite a large contingent of users who are merely tweaking, correcting, or otherwise making sure their personal purchases comply with their own sense of "correctness." Because they can.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Title Casing... this is a pretty serious issue I waste a lot of time on manually correcting. :P

There are multiple different types of Title Casing too (Chicago, APA, MLA, [...]).

As AlanHK said, most of the automated tools out there cause mistakes. Another problem a lot of these tools do is they only do a SINGLE pass, and they don't take properly take into account punctuation (especially em dashes and colons). They also don't play nice with Roman Numerals or words that need to stay ALL CAPS like "FBI".

And some of the rules get hard (especially when dealing with lowercase conjunctions). Some words can be conjunctions or not depending on usage (which requires a human).

I found this site is pretty decent:

https://capitalizemytitle.com/

But the problem with many of these sites is you have to copy/paste the input one-at-a-time.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

as with most things you have to finish the job with a bit of spit and polish.

I think AlanHK's main issue was naming it 'Title case' rather than what it did.

Semantically speaking 'Capital case', or better yet 'Proper case', would preferable

Capitalise is what businesses do to raise funds, re-capitalise what governments do for TBTF businesses - like busted banks, insolvent insurers and ludicrous lenders.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-17-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
[aside]

What I wouldn't give to have a proper "Title Case" regex function in Sigil - with maybe a user generated ini file with a list of all the words that should NOT be capitalized (properly spelled with a "z" )....sigh

[/aside]
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:36 AM   #10
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I think AlanHK's main issue was naming it 'Title case' rather than what it did.

Semantically speaking 'Capital case', or better yet 'Proper case', would preferable

Capitalise is what businesses do to raise funds.
"Proper case" means nothing to me. And I don't think the business meaning of capitalise has any potential for confusion. "Capital" has several distinct meanings.

"Title case" however only refers to titles in text, and the plugin in question, and Sigil itself, don't do that and should not claim to.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Proper Case and is how I case Proper Names.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:38 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
For me Capitalize would mean that only the first word in a sentence would have an uppercase letter and the rest not. Titlecase would capitalize each word.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
For me Capitalize would mean that only the first word in a sentence would have an uppercase letter and the rest not. Titlecase would capitalize each word.
Now there's a couple of Humpty Dumptyisms.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Proper Case and is how I case Proper Names.
There isn't any other choice with those, except all caps.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
FWIW : In a ToC I would shift "CHAPTER XI—FINDS PRINT OF MAN’S FOOT ON THE SAND" to "Chapter XI—Finds print of man’s foot on the sand" - i.e. Sentence case.
The TOC follows standard title-capitalization rules, i.e.:

Finds Print of Man's Foot on the Sand

See Fig. 1.9 in the Chicago Manual of Style.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote