Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
What is the proper way to tell calibre to use the system theme?

Arch Linux using XFCE. Calibre is installed to /opt using the download command from calibre-ebook.com.

I prefer dark themes (light text on dark backgrounds.)
I've tried setting environment variables in my .bash_profile (QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE), tried using qtconfig, tried exploring the preferences...

I cannot seem to tell calibre to use the GTK (either 2 or 3) themes I prefer. It is definitely possible that I have the wrong value (gtk) for the above environment variable...

I would settle for a workaround that told calibre to use some sort of dark QT theme. Is this related to calibre installing its own version of QT5?

I've always used XFCE, so the QT stuff tends to trip me up.

Aloha.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is this a trick question? Calibre > Preferences > Look & Feel > User Interface Style. You can choose between Calibre and System.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Neither affects the look at all. That preference is for something else, I think -- something about rounded corners is all I remember for the moment.

Also, it was already set to 'System Default'.

I'm looking for a way to tell the qt5 static libraries that calibre installs to use the system theme.

Thanks for answering; I assume that changing that does indeed work on your linux system?

EDIT: just tried this:

Code:
export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=GTK+ ; calibre
Got this back:

Code:
/opt/calibre/bin/calibre: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
I get the exact same result if I use gtk instead of GTK+ Something about this error suggests to me that it's related to the QT5 installation that comes with calibre vs. the QT5 installation that comes with the system.

Last edited by capidamonte; 01-14-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will need to compile calibre yourself (or use your system calibre package) for that. The Qt 5 GTK plugin was causing crashes on many systems I tested with, so it is left out of the calibre bundle.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
capidamonte

Ah.

Is there any way to choose a QT theme? I'm sure I could find a dark one somewhere.

Aloha.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Qt should automatically use your system color scheme.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
capidamonte

I uninstalled the version from calibre-ebook.com, and installed the version in the AUR. All working now -- it looks like the packager took care of enabling GTK themes already.

Unfortunately, using the downloadable version from calibre-ebook.com didn't allow any changes to the look whatsoever; if anyone reading this is on Arch it seems the packager is staying fairly well caught up -- the AUR has version 2.16.

As always Kovid, respect for your time and attention, and a great application.

Aloha.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
ArchLinux, as a bleeding-edge distribution, tends to be fairly-well caught up.

I would recommend you install the distro package (which is kept up-to-date) over the AUR package (which is calibre-git) but this bug has still not been fixed -- I am rather disappointed.

Hey, cool -- the AUR package does not have this problem...

Anyway, yeah -- there are instances where calibre will not do what it is supposed to do, if using the official calibre package.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would recommend you install the distro package (which is kept up-to-date) over the AUR package (which is calibre-git) but this bug has still not been fixed -- I am rather disappointed.
That bug is symptomatic of the general problem with linux distros. Their maintainers all have this crazy, completely non-scalable, attitude that they can maintain their own personal modifications to tens of thousands of upstream packages without breaking anything. It's why I stopped working with distro maintainers a long time ago.

Linux desktop distributions all need restrict themselves to base system software and let all "end-user" software be distributed by the software vendors, as happens on every other sane operating system on the planet, including the most successful variant of linux, Android.

Unfortunately, for that to happen, the distro maintainers need to get their acts together long enough to agree on a common package format for binaries, which is about as likely to happen as hell freezing over.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Oh, I think it would work out as long as they were willing to submit to the developer's opinions about what dependencies are needed.

In this case, a bunch of people who pride themselves on not patching software willy-nilly, decided to, um, patch software willy-nilly in order to "fix" the "travesty" of a -- cue heartburn -- "Windows developer with a Windows mentality" ( WTF) patching software instead of fixing it the "proper way".

Their amazingly high standards, meanwhile, break software in new and inventive ways. The irony factor beats debian's patch-happy attitude hands-down.

Oh, well -- at least they make it easy to roll your own.

Perhaps we will have a common packaging format in The Year of the Linux Desktop.
Perhaps the two are not unrelated...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Michael Rose
Michael Rose began at the beginning.

Device: htc sensation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Qt should automatically use your system color scheme.
This is imaginary at best on 2 different linux distros. Can you force it to use a different qt theme?
Michael Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
OK, I know this is a necro post but I’ve been researching this for a few Qt (4 & 5) programs so I’d appreciate finding this in a search.

What definitely works (at least in Ubuntu 16.04):
  • Install Qt5 style plugins—sudo apt install qt5-style-plugins
  • Copy /usr/share/applications/calibre.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/calibre.desktop
  • Edit the copy and change the Exec= line to Exec=env QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE='gtk' calibre
  • Use this to launch calibre, i.e. either drag it to the launcher or make it executable and double-click it.
You should also be able to put QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE='gtk' into your /etc/environment file to do it for all Qt5 programs, but I haven‘t tested this.

More info:
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Igor Engelen
Igor Engelen began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
OK, I know this is a necro post but I’ve been researching this for a few Qt (4 & 5) programs so I’d appreciate finding this in a search.

What definitely works (at least in Ubuntu 16.04):
  • Install Qt5 style plugins—sudo apt install qt5-style-plugins
  • Copy /usr/share/applications/calibre.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/calibre.desktop
  • Edit the copy and change the Exec= line to Exec=env QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE='gtk' calibre
  • Use this to launch calibre, i.e. either drag it to the launcher or make it executable and double-click it.
You should also be able to put QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE='gtk' into your /etc/environment file to do it for all Qt5 programs, but I haven‘t tested this.

More info:
Thanks man, you made my day. My Calibre is in black now like the rest of my apps. Finally I can rest
Igor Engelen is offline   Reply With Quote