Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
mcauliff
mcauliff began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Looking for recommendations

I'm in the market for an e-reader. My requirements are as follows:

I connect to my local library to download e-books in following formats, WMA (audio book) or Adobe Digital Edition

I will also subscribe to magazines from Zinio.com, it will need WiFi capability.

A color display, it must display pictures in the magazine in color. An example is the National Geographic.

Not an iPad.

Is there something currently available or should I wait to next year?
mcauliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
E-readers are currently black and white - if you want colour then you'll need to get a netbook etc. Why didn't you want an ipad? it seems to suit most of your requirements (except not being an ipad).
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Nothing available at the moment I can think of.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
It seems like an Ipad is your only option. Txtr app will read the library books and audio books work just fine in all formats. Zinio is lovely. Maybe next year.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Think of a netbook ... HP has several models under US$500.

But if you have a Borders store (Kobo) or a Barnes and Noble store (Nook) nearby, at least "touch and feel" what the "basic" eReaders feel like. I can certainly see a case where BOTH a netbook AND a Kobo would please someone.

Don't tell anyone, but I just ordered a little HP netbook for my wife ... It is not going to replace her Kindle2 - but supplement it. The one I chose has ...

2GB RAM
Decent processor
Windows 7 Home Premium
250GB 7200RPM hard drive
10.1" display
802.11b.g.n
2.5 pounds
3 years of support and warrantee from HP

Cost? About what the 2GB RAM ALONE cost me just a few years ago.

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
The Borders near me had the Sony readers last time I was in there. Are they replacing them with Kobos?
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Borders ... had the Sony readers ... Are they replacing them with Kobos?

Chances are - the Kobo were in the back room. At least that's where they are in my five nearby Borders retail stores here in Southern California.

Interesting marketing, eh?

But Borders is rolling out a new "e" service soon - and that's probably when we'll see impressive displays in the stores.

I hope.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
mcauliff
mcauliff began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks to everyone that replied. I didn't want the iPad due to the price. I was looking to spend max of only $250.00
mcauliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcauliff View Post
I was looking to spend max of only $250.00
You could also look at android tablets with LCD screens ie something like the Pandigital Novel. The LCD screen will show colour but this will also make it less comfortable to read on. Colour ereaders won't appear within your price range for a while yet so something like this might be ok. I don't know much about android tablets so I can't offer any more advice.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
Franky
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm in the market for an e-reader. My requirements are as follows:

I connect to my local library to download e-books in following formats, WMA (audio book) or Adobe Digital Edition

I will also subscribe to magazines from Zinio.com, it will need WiFi capability.

A color display, it must display pictures in the magazine in color. An example is the National Geographic.

Not an iPad.

a classic case for a Entourage eDGe. i think this will be perfect. you should take a serious look at it. really serious.. i gotta admit that i'm impressed with the Pandigital Novel, but i've never seen or hold it myself.

Last edited by Franky; 07-23-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Head over to Dynamism and scope out Viliv and the other Asian MIDs and slates.
If you don't mind the extra weight there are several netbook-based convertible Tablet PCs.
The wma audio book requirement alone means you're talking something Windows-based.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote