Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there a way to create reflowable ebooks without using Amazon technology?

Hi,

I am trying to create reflowable ebooks. The ebooks are in epub format and are in Arabic language.

That being said, epub is not supported on Kindle on iPhone. Also, I do not want to publish them on Amazon to be able to get the ebooks to reflowable.

Is it possible to convert epubs into a format using Calibre or Sigil that is reflowable on Kindle apps?

Thank you.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes. In fact we'd NEVER use Amazon tech to make an ebook.
But actually Amazon recommends you upload reflowable epub2. They then convert to all the kindle formats.

Create using styles in a Wordprocessor. Either extra Save As docx (I've no idea about RTL languages and docx) or HTML and import to Calibre.
Convert to epub2.

For local preview on a Kindle, or Smashwords distribution for Kindles, convert the epub2 in Calibre to dual Mobi. You'd also want to upload an epub2 to Smashwords for anything not a Kindle.

There are also epub Apps for the iPhone. The iPhone Kindle App can work with locally created ebooks, but it's really only meant for ebooks bought from Amazon.

I use 3rd party epub apps on phones and tablets. Only using Kindle, Kobo and GooglePlayBooks for their stores. Borrowbox for the local library.

I use decent epub apps for everything else. The wiki here lists ones that work on an iPhone. Lithium is good on Android. So is Aldiko Classic on older phones.

Many epub apps are rubbish because they don't support embedded publisher's fonts (probably important for Arabic) or the publisher's CSS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I converted my epub to MOBI and it is not reflowable on Kindle on iPhone. Any other ideas?
The way I got it to my Kindle on iPhone app is by using Kindle email.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
I converted my epub to MOBI and it is not reflowable on Kindle on iPhone. Any other ideas?
The way I got it to my Kindle on iPhone app is by using Kindle email.
What did you convert it with?

And what didn't you like about Quoth's suggestion to use an epub app on the iphone?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On an iPhone, Kindle and Books are terrible because they take away so much of the screen with the wide margins
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
1. Install Kindle Previewer
2. Install the Calibre KFX output plugin.
3. Convert the EPUB book to a KFX book.
4. Sideload it with iTunes.

Obviously, you can't sell KFX books that you created using this method.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
1. Install Kindle Previewer
2. Install the Calibre KFX output plugin.
3. Convert the EPUB book to a KFX book.
4. Sideload it with iTunes.

Obviously, you can't sell KFX books that you created using this method.
But that does not avoid using "amazon technology".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But that does not avoid using "amazon technology".
Exactly. While it's possible to convert EPUB books to AZW3 books with Calibre, the Kindle for iOS app does not support AZW3 files.

If the OP wants to read Arabic books with the Kindle for iOS app, he'll need to convert their EPUB books to KFX books, which, of course, requires "amazon technology."
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Why not use Sigil? That's how I build all my ebooks, as validated epub2s. No Amazon technology involved. (They're not in Arabic, true...)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
All books sold by Amazon in Arabic use KFX format. As far as I know that format is required for good results on Kindle apps and devices.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, reflowable, sigil