Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2022, 10:23 PM   #1
HLS
Addict
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Paperwhite, Libra 1, H20,Clara, Glowlight 1 to 4 and Plus
iPad Mini 6

I finally got my hands on a purple iPad Mini. Perfect size for reading. I was skeptical but works just as good as the Air and Pro models. I notice no jelly scrolling like some complained. To my delight the charging is blazing fast. 3x faster than my iPad Pro and Air. So much easier to carry in a purse than a full sized ipad.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I finally got my hands on a purple iPad Mini. Perfect size for reading. I was skeptical but works just as good as the Air and Pro models. I notice no jelly scrolling like some complained. To my delight the charging is blazing fast. 3x faster than my iPad Pro and Air. So much easier to carry in a purse than a full sized ipad.
From the videos of jelly scrolling I’ve seen on the internet, it mostly seems to be an issue when scrolling really fast. Since most people probably don't scroll that fast, it shouldn't be much of an issue, especially when reading. I still use my iPad mini 5 for reading, and it is terrific as long as I’m indoors.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'd love to have the new mini, but need a new phone more. I have the mini 4, and it's a tad hinky at times. It's such a handy size to take with me when I know there will be a long wait etc.

Once in a while a public library book I want isn't available for Kindle, so I use the mini then for reading in the Overdrive app. But the Kindle is still my preferred reader.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 13PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6
I didn’t really need to upgrade from mini 5 but I’m glad I did. I especially like how TouchID works (seems more ergonomic and less finicky) and being able to use Apple Pencil without the silly Lightning charging: it’s just there and ready to go when I want to use it. The audio is much more robust, too, though I mostly use earbuds.

And with USB-C, I can use same hub for plugging things in as my Mac.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-21-2022 at 02:49 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
TouchID is hit and miss for me. My fingerprints must be disappearing like my mom's did. She's 91, back when she was in her late 60's, she worked at a local school. When they did the background check etc. they were unable to lift a print from any of her fingers.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I'm possibly the only person who cares about this, but I like the larger bottom bezel on the mini 5. Same goes for my Kindle Oasis 3. I need a larger surface area on which to place my fat thumb so I don't accidentally activate things on the screen. I have quite an issue with accidental screen touches on my iPad Air 2020 because of the small bezels, and gets very aggravating at times. With my mini 5 in an Otterbox Defender case I have a large enough surface area to comfortably grip and hold it without touching the screen. I'm sure it is an "old guy" thing, where as we age it becomes more difficult to hold things like pencils. I was happy when Amazon finally listened to complaints and released their Oasis model which made holding and reading on a Kindle so much easier.

I also much prefer the older style mini 5 Home button to whatever they call the side button on the Air 4. But FaceID is the best, so maybe the mini 7 will finally go to that.

As far as ports, holy crap my Apple devices are all over the darn place! No USB-C, mini, or micro on either of my old Macs, they only have USB-A. My iPhone 13 Pro Max and mini 5 still use the Lightning port. My air 4 uses the USB-C port. I'm still stuck in proprietary port hell with many of my Apple devices!

Last edited by OtinG; 03-23-2022 at 10:49 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
sparksdls
sparksdls began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The jelly scroll issue affects different people in different ways - some seem more sensitive to it than others. I can see it but don't notice in use while others are extremely bothered by it. You can see this differing experiences in posts on the issue over on the MacRumors forms.
sparksdls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #8
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I'm possibly the only person who cares about this, but I like the larger bottom bezel on the mini 5. Same goes for my Kindle Oasis 3. I need a larger surface area on which to place my fat thumb so I don't accidentally activate things on the screen. I have quite an issue with accidental screen touches on my iPad Air 2020 because of the small bezels, and gets very aggravating at times. With my mini 5 in an Otterbox Defender case I have a large enough surface area to comfortably grip and hold it without touching the screen. I'm sure it is an "old guy" thing, where as we age it becomes more difficult to hold things like pencils. I was happy when Amazon finally listened to complaints and released their Oasis model which made holding and reading on a Kindle so much easier.

I also much prefer the older style mini 5 Home button to whatever they call the side button on the Air 4.

I'm exactly the same and I totally prefer my Mini 5 to the newer 6 (which is in our family and I've used a bit)

I really like the bezels giving so much grippable space in landscape (don't do a ton of portrait orientation)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 13PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6
I don’t have any issue with the narrow bezels (accidental touches or grip ability). I never really used the home button bezel to hold it. I love the design, and the TouchID works much more reliably in the top button than it ever did with the Home button; it’s also easier for me to double click the top button than Home button when necessary.

And that’s before even considering the much better specs: larger display, better sound and speaker placement, faster processor, USB-C, better cameras, Pencil 2 support, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #10
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Nova2, Ipad Mini and Pro
I may have used the bezel to hold some of the ebook readers I've had in the past, but most have had covers, and I've either used straps or popsockets.

I have the 5th and the 6th as well, and like the 5th for the slim-line feeling. The 6th is a bit square on the sides. But I don't hold either of them by the bezel. They're both too big for that, and would make my fingers cramp up. So I don't mind the smaller one on the 6th's design. I just fold up the slim cover or slap on the popsocket.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote