Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #31
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
Yes, just got the same e-mail. I called their customer service, and even explained the e-mail to the barely-english-speaking rep, and even in the face of that, he kept insisting that it would arrive within 4-8 business days.

I am really actually a pretty meek person...I really hate getting worked up over anything, but I just sent the most agressive e-mail I've ever sent in reply to them.

I told them what the rep on the phone assured me, demanded they honor the post-30%-coupon 122.49 price in the future instead of just the 174.99.

I told them that in what way did honoring the sale price and offering 15% and free shipping help me when I already had free shipping and 30% off?

Also, how did that remedy me missing the manufacturer warrany (june 9-15 purchase requirement)?

I told them I guess I would talk to Pandigital directly and see if they would honor that rebate later to make up for Kohl's incompetence.

I used words like disingenous and ploy in talking about circumventing a sale price/coupon stack...always being clear that this cancellation smacked of the "appearance" of that instead of outright accusing them of it.

In the end, I told them as many of you said...that I could update the software myself, Pandigital did not recall these items..it was Kohls decision to temporarily remove them and cancel. So send it on as originally ordered and I'll update it myself.

Pretty disgusting. I'll have to find a new place to get cheap clothes.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #32
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Yeah, it's a debacle, that's for sure.

I'm not happy with the fact that the local store wouldn't let me just buy one, even after I told them I am a computer repair technician who knows where to get the required update from and how to install it. A sale would've been made there and then. Sheesh.

But what's worse is the fact that they CANCELED my phone order rather than simply notify me of an additional delay. Most companies don't consider canceling an order until they discuss it with the customer first. Some customers are pretty patient. I can see canceling the order if they know for fact they're never again getting the product because it's been discontinued by the manufacturer. But they know they're selling the Novel when it's "ready". So what they did by canceling the already-placed order hints to me that they are trying to get out from under the sales price commitments made in the on-line and phone orders. I could be wrong, but it sure smells that way.

A few days after I'd placed my order over the phone, I called a Kohl's store (the nearest being an hour south of where I live) to see if they had any in stock. They had eight and put one on hold (rain check) for me because of the update situation. I've checked in a couple of times and still, they said, no Pandigital techs have come by to update the devices but that I would be notified as soon as they showed up. I would be getting it for 30% off signing up for a Kohl's card or 20% off without, plus a $5 gift discount card plus the $15 mail in rebate-which they said they would honor, regardless of the current submission time frame, given the current problem.

I'll be calling the store again tomorrow morning. Hopefully in the meantime Kohl's will respond favourably to my rather terse email response.

Last edited by mtnmedic; 06-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #33
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I didn't receive an email so I just finished looking at my order status. It still says "In Fulfillment" . What did change is when I will received it. Instead of by June 20, it says between the 15th and 21st.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #34
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
Kudos to Kohls online customer service for the save after all the mess the company created at first.

I guess I can still get my khakis and underwear and socks there, lol.

They replied to my e-mail this morning and verified that the phone person was wrong as I knew, that the order really was being canceled as per the e-mail.

They addressed every point I had spelled out in my stern missive last night.

They said if I ordered it from them in the future and sent them the order number, they would adjust it to the 30% off sale price (122.49)......PLUS they said they'd give me an additional 15.00 credit since they were making me miss the manufacturer rebate.

Maybe I should be assertive more often. Sad to have to get angry to get folks to do the right thing.

Maybe there's a chance after all that this fiasco was due to clueless, large, uncoordinated bureaucracy rather than a conspiracy to avoid a sale and coupon stacking, lol.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #35
jsamps0n
jsamps0n began at the beginning.

Device: Novel
Just visited my local Kohls and (consistent with what I'd gleaned from various posts and various sites) learned that they sent all their units back to Pandigital.

Got a raincheck for the sale price of $175 with promise to honor $15 rebate and 30% coupon as a Kohls cardholder.

No indication of what unit will be arriving later or when they will arrive. If they get the black 2GB units, it will be worth the wait!
jsamps0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #36
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Here's a post I made in another thread about the same topic/situation, essentially:

I spoke with the local store manager for a while this morning. I explained to him my frustrations, etc. regarding my rain check situation since last week, the repeated delays ("waiting for the Pandigital techs to come in and update the units we have in stock") and the canceled phone order. He assured me that they weren't trying to pull any fast ones but that they got caught in a supplier situation. He said what is happening at his store right now is they are returning the white 1GB units and will be getting the black 2GB units. They are expecting the shipment of the new units "any day now" this week. He said I would get one of those and that I could use the 20% discount coupon I have on hand or the 30% if I apply for a Kohl's card, the $5 gift card I got from Kohl's via email and he would also give me a "little extra discount" for my troubles. Plus, he not only will he honour the $15 rebate, he'll simply apply it to the sale there and then so that I wouldn't have to worry about mailing it in. He said he would call me the minute they come in, as the store is over an hour south of where I live (that's the closest one!). So, crossing my fingers it'll all work out this week.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #37
dfadas
dfadas began at the beginning.

Device: none
news

I work for another retailer and we were told today that we would get the 2gb black version instead of the 1gb white. The 2gb will be at the $199 price where it was going to be $259. Ship dates were this week.

Dfadas
dfadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #38
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfadas View Post
I work for another retailer and we were told today that we would get the 2gb black version instead of the 1gb white. The 2gb will be at the $199 price where it was going to be $259. Ship dates were this week.

Dfadas
Which retailer? I'd be happy to pay more for the 2 gb version in black.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #39
Brie987
KeKyKo
Brie987 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo AuraHD, Nook, Pandigital Novel, Eken M001
I to got the email of cancellation from Kohls. They said they would honor the previous sale price should I reorder the Novel when it is re listed for sale. I actually want a device exactly like the Novel but wish it was ad-hoc able meaning I want to be able to tether it to my android phone. I have the Eken M001, which I am trying to sell (if anyone is interested) to buy this but since the cancellation I am also looking for a windows/linux 7 inch slate. So now I'm a bit confused, I want an eReader yet I want to be able to check my email and perhaps twitter if it has audio, audio books would be great to. So you can see the Novel, while on paper looks really perfect but I lose the tethering ability which I can forfeit I think.
Brie987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #40
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Just got an email from Kohls and they cancelled my order!!!!! Because of a software misfunction?!? Stupid Kohls, I can do the update.
Be Happy and if you have a white unit, take it back.
Kohl's, at least will honor the price you paid and if you say anything about it will add another 15% discount to that. You will get the black unit and it differs in more than just having two Gb on board. It looks like there is a switch to turn wi-fi on and off as well as a volume button and a built in stylus. The
Black manual has details.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #41
Vixhen
Vixhen began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Thanks guys for the updates this is great news. I checked out the manual for the black 2gb version. It's looks great. I'm going to wait for the 2gb when it comes into to Kohls. I've got my guarantee (in email form) that they will honor the previous price with the 30% and free shipping.
Vixhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #42
dfadas
dfadas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bed Bath and Beyond. The units should ship next week. I also heard that we will have a 6" e ink version too.
dfadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #43
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, if I can get the black unit from Kohls for the same price, I will be really happy. Any idea when that will be?
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote