Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamilis View Post
Why do you need to bring thousand books everywhere, while you can only read few books per day? I am not againts this idea, but it sounds weird for people who have cloud and internet access almost everywhere.
I might be wrong, but my experience so far, the fewer books I loaded in my kindle the bigger chance ideas in that book inspire me.
He said he didn't need it, but is doing an experiment for others that do want their entire catalog on the device.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Why do you need to bring thousand books everywhere, while you can only read few books per day? I am not againts this idea, but it sounds weird for people who have cloud and internet access almost everywhere.
I'm not a Kindle owner but I carry thousands of books on my Kobo ereaders -- those external uSD cards are handy -- and basically, it gives me the option to select any book I own and feel like reading at that point in time. If nothing else, I'll open a random page in the library listing and select a book from that page.

There is no weight penalty to carrying more books and while the processing (indexing for a Kindle owner) does take some time when you initially setup the device, I haven't noticed any performance penalties after that step is done. If nothing else, there are still areas where WiFi or cellular service is not readily available to connect to your books in the cloud so when I have a 15 minute break, I don't want to spend the majority of that time trying to download a book.

Quote:
I might be wrong, but my experience so far, the fewer books I loaded in my kindle the bigger chance ideas in that book inspire me.
An interesting theory but it doesn't work that way for me. The more books, the better chance I will find one I currently feel like reading. Not to mention that I have quite a few work related books (Microsoft, Cisco, VMWare, etc.) in pdf or epub format. While I prefer to read the pdfs on a larger screen, in case of need, my ereader does work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He said he didn't need it, but is doing an experiment for others that do want their entire catalog on the device.
I thought he said that his main reason for purchasing his KO2 was so he could keep a larger portion of his eBook library on it. Publishing his results is for the benefit of others.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #34
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems fine again now. A book the indexer didn't like, I suspect. With 5003 books on my Kindle, I have 16.56GB free. It started out with what? About 26GB free space? So I've used about a third of the storage space so far.
I had just under 27.5gb of free storage initially.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I had just under 27.5gb of free storage initially.
Thanks - I didn't really look at it before I started loading books. In that case, I've used 40% of the total space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #36
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
It needs to be neither asleep nor charging. It will index books while awake, and while not connected to a charger. However, it will index very, very slowly if you're reading at the same time. If you leave it, awake, though, on the "NNN books not yet indexed" page, it indexes at full speed - that's how I check on indexing progress.
I'm fairly sure this is missing something. Every other Kindle since the indexer rewrite in 5.6.1.x throttles the CPU time used for indexing while AC power is not available: so plugging it into a charger or powered USB port will index much faster than when it is "untethered" and running off battery (this is also true of the KOA1's case battery, which is *not* considered equivalent to AC power for this purpose).

As others have noted, the Kindle will not go into deep sleep when charging, only into the sort of sleep you get by hitting the power button, which is more or less just turning off the screen (on battery, all sleeps, deep or not, also switch wifi to a slower polling cycle: no idea what effect it has on 3G but likely something similar).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I'm fairly sure this is missing something. Every other Kindle since the indexer rewrite in 5.6.1.x throttles the CPU time used for indexing while AC power is not available: so plugging it into a charger or powered USB port will index much faster than when it is "untethered" and running off battery (this is also true of the KOA1's case battery, which is *not* considered equivalent to AC power for this purpose).

As others have noted, the Kindle will not go into deep sleep when charging, only into the sort of sleep you get by hitting the power button, which is more or less just turning off the screen (on battery, all sleeps, deep or not, also switch wifi to a slower polling cycle: no idea what effect it has on 3G but likely something similar).
I entirely agree - on my Voyage, indexing would speed up enormously when the Kindle was connected to a charger. I am simply reporting what I'm observing empirically on my KO2, which is that it doesn't seem to do so.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #38
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
when i first got mine, i moved 2500+ from calibre onto my new oasis and it took about 24 hours, so yes, 100 per hour is about right. for 12 of those hours i left it on the charger as it did indeed drain the battery in one day.

since then i decided to clean my entire calibre library up along with my docs on the kindle web page, so i'm now going one-by-one through my files and fixing all the metadata. i only got about 75 done today so it's going to be a project that stretches well into winter. but it does allow me to move less than 100 files at a time back onto the kindle.

btw, the oasis remained stable and responsive for me throughout the indexing process even though i was poking and prodding the new toy for hours. i've pulled this same stunt with previous kindles and they flat vapor-locked.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Another example of strange behaviour while asleep: yesterday afternoon I loaded another batch of 900 books. Indexing proceeded normally through the evening, and by the time I went to bed at around 10pm, the number of unindexed books was down to 376. I left the Kindle on a wall charger overnight, and when I turned it on this morning, expecting indexing to have finished, there were 370 books unindexed - ie it had done only 6 overnight. As soon as I switched it on, it started indexing normally again, and it's now, an hour later, down to 272.

This Kindle just does not like indexing while asleep and on external power, it seems!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #40
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Another example of strange behaviour while asleep: yesterday afternoon I loaded another batch of 900 books. Indexing proceeded normally through the evening, and by the time I went to bed at around 10pm, the number of unindexed books was down to 376. I left the Kindle on a wall charger overnight, and when I turned it on this morning, expecting indexing to have finished, there were 370 books unindexed - ie it had done only 6 overnight. As soon as I switched it on, it started indexing normally again, and it's now, an hour later, down to 272.

This Kindle just does not like indexing while asleep and on external power, it seems!
I'm sure it has something to do with the "deep sleep" mode. I wonder if the original Oasis did this as well? I don't have mine anymore, so I can't check. Maybe someone who does still have theirs can?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm sure it has something to do with the "deep sleep" mode. I wonder if the original Oasis did this as well? I don't have mine anymore, so I can't check. Maybe someone who does still have theirs can?

Shari
It doesn't seem to be going into "deep sleep" when it's connected to the charger - it wakes up instantly you press the power button, rather than displaying the "Waking Up" message it otherwise does.

It does seem to be something related to that, though. It's processing today's batch of about 650 added books at the moment (the "Q" and "R" authors), connected to the wall charger. I'm checking it about every 15 minutes (by which time it's gone to sleep, of course), and indexing is going along fine - every time I check it it's processed another 30 books or so. It's when you leave it for longer than that that it seems to stop indexing. It is, as you suggest, almost as if it is sort of going into deep sleep, even though it does wake up instantly.

No big deal; just an interesting curiosity to be aware of. One thing's for sure, and that's that when it's awake, it indexes enormously faster than older models do, presumably because of the faster CPU.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #42
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
well, just after i bragged about how well my oasis was handling indexing, it failed. it might be because i removed 2500 books so i could start cleaning up my calibre library and adding them back in small batches. i loaded the first 10 last night and when i woke up this morning it still had 6 to index and i can't get it to start up again even after a restart and plugging it in.

<nevermind: i just checked and it's down to 5. it only took 24 hours to index those 2500 files the first time so it should have indexed only 10 in less than 10-15 minutes. i suspect me deleting all those books after they were indexed has borked the index files on the oasis or else krufted them up. but i just checked again and it's now finished so i'll check things again the next batch i add to make sure it has recovered the previous level of functioning.>

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

More thoughts on this:

Several days' more experimentation have shown that if I leave my Kindle along, connected to a power supply, for anything up to about 20m, once it goes to sleep (which happens after about 5m of inactivity) it continues to index at full speed. Leave it for longer than about 20m, though, and indexing essentially stops, only resuming again when I wake the Kindle up by opening the cover or pressing the power button.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
More thoughts on this:

Several days' more experimentation have shown that if I leave my Kindle along, connected to a power supply, for anything up to about 20m, once it goes to sleep (which happens after about 5m of inactivity) it continues to index at full speed. Leave it for longer than about 20m, though, and indexing essentially stops, only resuming again when I wake the Kindle up by opening the cover or pressing the power button.
I noticed it too. I sideloaded about 300 books on my new Oasis yesterday and left it connected to a wall charger overnight. Most of the books were still unindexed by today morning, but now that the Oasis is awake, the indexing has resumed again.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
More thoughts on this:

Then it must be going into deep sleep even when on the charger. That probably gets it brownie (greenie?) points with various agencies, but I doubt that saves a significant amount of electricity.

I still think that if indexing is in progress and the charger is attached, it should defer deep sleep. That would result in 0 net change in electricity use and a significant benefit to the customer, which Amazon claim to have an extreme focus on.

If they really want to be helpful, indexing should stop if the charger is disconnected and the battery drops below 25% whether it is asleep or awake.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote