Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
FoldedBack
FoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Bricked(?) Aura HD with Blinking Indicator Light

Ahoy all,

After a clumsy incident with my old Aura HD I decided to get a new one. It just arrived and, after activating/syncing/updating it with Kobo’s desktop app (for Mac), performing the software update, and adding a bunch of books via ADE and unplugged it. Realizing I’d forgotten to put a book on it, I decided to plug it back in again and…

1. It doesn’t show up in finder, Kobo desktop, or ADE—it isn’t a USB cable problem since I’ve tried it with two cables (one from my new Aura HD, one from my old) and both had the same result; my old Aura HD worked with both too. Nor is it a computer problem—I tried hooking it up to an identical laptop and likewise got no response.

2. The screen is totally blank, as in nothing. If I do the paperclip reset it does turn black briefly, as if starting to boot, but quickly reverts to blank. (I haven’t been able to do a factory reset since my screen is completely blank, i. e. no menu, settings, &c.).

3. The small indicator light next to the power button is blinking. I’m not sure what this means—I assume it means charging, but the device gives no other indication of charging. Furthermore, I’ve had it plugged in for over four hours now with no change in status. Furthermore, when unplugged it blinks in the same way. I can turn it off, but the only discernible difference is that there’s no blinking—this is the case if the device is or isn’t connected to the computer. When I connect an off Aura HD to the computer, though, it starts blinking; if I connect one that’s on there’s no change in the blinking when I connect it to the computer after being turned on.

Given that I have a twelve-hour flight tomorrow afternoon, should I just give up on this device and quickly grab whatever reader/tablet I can get in the morning? Or am I missing something/being too impatient about it charging up? I guess I should have taken “Porsche of ereaders” as a warning after all.

Last edited by FoldedBack; 01-02-2014 at 02:56 AM.
FoldedBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Is the only reset you've tried a paperclip reset? It sounds like you need to do a full hardware factory reset instead.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
FoldedBack
FoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of lightFoldedBack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thank you—looking for that directed me to how to do it w/light button and slider. Seems to be being restored right now.
FoldedBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldedBack View Post
Thank you—looking for that directed me to how to do it w/light button and slider. Seems to be being restored right now.
If you do a firmware update and use the sd card for book storage, its best to remove the card until the update completes. This should avoid complications like not seeing the card even though its there.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote