Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #376
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kindleDXB009: Yes, except the ones here are more up to date (not that it matters terribly in the Legacy hacks case), and will only install through MRPI.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #377
kindleDXB009
kindleDXB009 began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX B009 v2.5.8
jailbreak update was not successful

I want make my Kindle support Chinese. But my Kindle 2.5.8 (555370010), B009A1A00365191C refuses to accept the update (dxg file) I downloaded from the latest of the stream and the older version from the wiki site.

I have copied the dxg file over and update the kindle. At the end it says the update was not successful and kindle is restarting .... There is no other information. Plug in again, there is no any new files there on the top level folder.

The font update seems working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
kindleDXB009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #378
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kindleDXB009: That specific package either doesn't support your FW version, or your device has been modified in a way that is incompatible with that package.

There's no miracle cure, at best you can check which bit failed (and since the update aborts on the first failure, that doesn't mean that it's the *only* file that's not compatible) by checking the system logs (logmessages in a shell or ;dumpMessages in the searchbar).

My own packages probably work because they're specifically designed to not cause and/or suffer from these kind of issues.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #379
kindleDXB009
kindleDXB009 began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX B009 v2.5.8
how to debug that? It seems there are not these files available to user under Windows 7.

I don't think we have done any other update before.
kindleDXB009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #380
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. Restored the package in #304 because somehow it went poof.

Probably when I tried to update it while my cable was on the fritz a couple weeks ago -_-".
Advert
Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #381
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Oasis KOA FW 5.13.3 JB
@NiLuJe - back in August 2016 (before your hiatus) there was an issue with the KOA. If it was ever rebooted while plugged into power or with the battery cover on it would restart in Diagnostic Mode. The workaround was in the last post of the thread. Is that fixed in the latest snapshots? If so, was the fix indeed in the CRP?

EDIT: Does the Kindlet version of KUAL work now? Running 5.8.5

Last edited by picree; 07-24-2018 at 09:16 AM.
picree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #382
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@picree: No, because IIRC, there's no reliable way to tell the difference without getting false positives at that point.

Note that it's been two years and I don't have a KOA, so this is based on what I remember and my own comments in CRP & KOReader.
Plus what we found on the KOA2.

EDIT: Speaking of, you can try this to confirm...

EDIT²: A look at the system logs to check on which trap it tripped with the cover plugged might be interesting, too.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-24-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #383
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

In the thread linked above you sounded optimistic and asked if I could run a few commands:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@picree: It's basically a couple of commands to run and check whether they return 0 or 1 with different combinations of stuff plugged-in, so I can write something up if you feel up to it, it should be pretty trivial . .
I can still do that unless you have learned something from the KOA2 that says it won't work. The KOA2 Test gives the same results on my KOA as shown in the png you had in that post. I don't know how to capture a screenshot so I uploaded the same screenshot from your post for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koa2.png
Views:	231
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	165188  
Old 07-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #384
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I can't guarantee an attempt at fixing that will:

* actually work in every case
* won't break something else

And I don't have the device to make sure of that myself, so, yeah, probably not going to happen.

It may also trigger with an USB Audio dongle plugged in, FWIW. That's another thing I don't have the hardware to check .

Plus, given the nature of this piece of code, I'd much rather it catches too much stuff than not enough.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-24-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #385
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by picree View Post
In the thread linked above you sounded optimistic and asked if I could run a few commands:

I can still do that unless you have learned something from the KOA2 that says it won't work. The KOA2 Test gives the same results on my KOA as shown in the png you had in that post. I don't know how to capture a screenshot so I uploaded the same screenshot from your post for reference.
two fingers, (i.e: two point touch), diagonally opposite corners.
(been that way for touch screen Kindles, like, forever)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #386
picree
Connoisseur

Nice. Forgot that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
two fingers, (i.e: two point touch), diagonally opposite corners.
(been that way for touch screen Kindles, like, forever)
Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #387
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Is there any hope the latest versions of the kindles to be jailbroken ?
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #388
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
Is there any hope the latest versions of the kindles to be jailbroken ?
I suppose by that you mean "latest firmware versions".

Unlikely.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #389
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Updated everything to use FBInk instead of eips (provided stuff isn't using eips in an esoteric or idiosyncratic manner).

That means a couple of things: we're no longer bound by eips' lack of scaling, so things should decidedly be more readable on high-dpi devices (i.e., >= ~250 dpi)

Instead of a single line of message (+ spillover), the last three messages are now shown. At a quick glance, that's the perfect number for most of my stuff.
Should make verbose mode more useful when there's a progression of stuff happening (i.e., USBNet).

And MRPI gained a real progress bar in the process .
It's also enforcing a white background, instead of relying on the system's behavior (which happened to be white on legacy, black on FW 5.x).

For the switch to take, an FBInk binary has to be found *somewhere*. To make that easier, in addition to USBNet, both the ScreenSavers and the Fonts hack now bundle a minimal FBInk binary.

In the same vein, the bridge *install* (in both its forms, bridge install & hotfix) will also install one. (Note that the bridge *code* is one of those things that will *NOT* use FBInk, for various reasons (both of the historical and I'm-too-lazy-to-do-it variety)).

This means that even if you update MRPI first, you won't see anything new on your first invocation of MRPI, even if something new w/ FBInk bundled is being installed.

(So if you don't want to reinstall stuff just for the fun of it, the quickest way to see MRPI's shiny progress bar in action is: update MRPI -> update bridge. Then a *second* MRPI round to update your usual stuff, where this time it'll be all shiny & sparkly, forever & ever).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-01-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #390
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Updated everything to use FBInk instead of eips (provided stuff isn't using eips in an esoteric or idiosyncratic manner).
Latest version of the SS hack doesn't seem to work any longer with KFXs (while it still works for AZW3s).
The previous one did work, I could display the covers of KFX books, but after the update I can't any longer, while if I upload the same book in AZW3 format, SS hack can correctly set it's cover as a screensaver.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje