Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #46
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Finally got around to loading a Japanese book onto my Aura and... IT WORKS!!!

So nice to have both a Chinese-English and a Japanese-English dictionary. My Kobo will be getting much more of a workout from hereon in. So much nicer than reading on a tablet or a computer screen.

I am glad that this stuff is useful to somebody!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #47
jasonrye
jasonrye began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
English-Chinese dictionary

I'm looking for an English-Mandarin dictionary for Kobo. Did you manage in the end to make one?
Do you know if there is one available anywhere online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderzeus View Post
I initially thought that the Chinese-Chinese dictionary can be used in Kobo like default English dictionary, the result is not so.

As a Chinese, there are also some chinese characters don't recognition , especially the pronunciation.

So, I want to make a dictionary include Chinese-Chinese and English-Chinese. When reading with English books, this dictionary can translate some English words to Chinese, And when reading Chinese books, can also consult some rare characters or word pronunciation and meaning.

About merge the English-English dictionary with the English-Chinese dictionary, here some stardict dictionary file like Oxford English-Chinese is already included English-English and English-Chinese.

Btw. here anyway can rename dicthtml-ja.zip as dicthtml.zip to direct used in kobo?
jasonrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #48
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrye View Post
I'm looking for an English-Mandarin dictionary for Kobo. Did you manage in the end to make one?
Do you know if there is one available anywhere online?
Not sure if there is one available to use for the Kobo firmware.

However, if you install the KOreader firmware on your Kobo, there are a number of such dictionaries in the Stardict format, freely available and easy to install inside the KOreader firmware.

I currently have 6 different Chinese dictionaries installed under KOreader on both my Kobos.

Here is a link to the github site which contains information about dictionary support for KOreader: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ionary-support
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #49
Tan KK
Tan KK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Dear tshering,

It does't work on my Kobo Glo HD. Please help me, I have been trying for more than 10 times.

These are my steps:
1. Download your zip. file rename it to "dicthtml-jaxxdjs"
2. Download a japanese dictionary in my Kobo
3. Connect my Kobo and find /dict./, then replace the downloaded "dicthtml-jaxxdjs" with existing dicthtml-jaxxdjs.
4. Disconnect and open my Kobo, but the dictionary still doesn't translate my highlighted English words into Chinese.

Can anyone let me know what is the steps that I have missed?

Really appreciate if you can help me. Thank you.
Tan KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #50
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan KK View Post
but the dictionary still doesn't translate my highlighted English words into Chinese.
This dictionary translates from Chinese to English, not from English to Chinese.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #51
Tan KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This dictionary translates from Chinese to English, not from English to Chinese.
Do you have the dictionary English - Chinese? Do you mind sharing me? Thank you.

Last edited by Tan KK; 07-26-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:19 AM   #52
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Do you have the dictionary English - Chinese? Do you mind sharing me? Thank you.
Sorry, I don't have an English - Chinese dictionary.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #53
Tan KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Sorry, I don't have an English - Chinese dictionary.
Is okay, Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #54
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
dictionary English - Chinese?
try it

origin

I do not have the necessary fonts, I can not verify for sure, alas.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-cn.zip (2.94 MB, 1525 views)

Last edited by Semwize; 07-27-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #55
DiegoArmando
DiegoArmando began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Hi I put the dictionary in my Kobo but is not working really well, doesn't select the character i want, select one or two. Anyone knows another dictionary. Also chinese-chinese . I would really like to have Chinese in my kobo.
Thanks
DiegoArmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #56
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoArmando View Post
Hi I put the dictionary in my Kobo but is not working really well, doesn't select the character i want, select one or two. Anyone knows another dictionary. Also chinese-chinese . I would really like to have Chinese in my kobo.
Thanks
The selection of characters is not done by the dictionary, it is done by you. Try to find a way to select the characters you want that works for you by slightly shifting your finger, rolling it a bit, and so on. If it does not work for you, you might also consider trying koreader.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #57
eric1116
eric1116 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo Hd, Kobo Aura One
share Chinese dictionaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Not sure if there is one available to use for the Kobo firmware.

However, if you install the KOreader firmware on your Kobo, there are a number of such dictionaries in the Stardict format, freely available and easy to install inside the KOreader firmware.

I currently have 6 different Chinese dictionaries installed under KOreader on both my Kobos.

Here is a link to the github site which contains information about dictionary support for KOreader: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ionary-support
Would you mind share your 6 Chinese dictionaries to me? I am using KOreader as well. Many thanks
eric1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #58
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1116 View Post
Would you mind share your 6 Chinese dictionaries to me? I am using KOreader as well. Many thanks
Sorry, I only just saw this post. After I got my KA1 set up the way I like it, I haven't been visiting the Kobo forums much of late as i haven't been updating my KA1.

As for the Chinese dictionaries which I use, you can download them all from here: http://download.huzheng.org/

If you click on the zh CN link, you will find dictionaries in simplified characters. Clicking on the zh TW link will take you to dictionaries in traditional characters.

Best of luck. And again sorry for the late reply.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #59
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
I am using Penelope to convert Chinese - Chinese from stardict to kobo dictionary and has coding problem as people here. Could some one help to explain the solution? Thanks!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #60
cakepuller
cakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo
Question

I have a Kobo Glo HD with firmware 4.19.14123

(Just seeking clarifications before I attempt to install a Chinese-English dictionary. I didn't want to try, in case I mess things up and cannot revert.)

- If I copy a dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip into .kobo/dict/ on my Kobo, will there be an added entry on the KOBO > SETTINGS > LANGUAGE AND DICTIONARIES > DICTIONARY section, for me to select as CHINESE-ENGLISH?

- If not, how do I use a custom installed CHINESE-ENGLISH dictionary?

- I read somewhere on this thread that one has to "change the language to Japanese". Is the place to do this at KOBO > SETTINGS > LANGUAGE AND DICTIONARIES > SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE? If yes, then doesn't this simply change the language of the interface? If not, how do I do this?

- I would like to be able to switch between ENGLISH-ENGLISH and CHINESE-ENGLISH dictionaries on my KOBO since I will have both English and Chinese ebooks. Is this possible after installing dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip?

Thanks for any answers.
cakepuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinesem, dictionary, english