Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
fabio.sartorio
fabio.sartorio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
How to create ONLY notes.

Hello, just bought a kindle paperwhite and I have two questions:

First, when I select a word or a couple words in the text and create a NOTE, the device automatically creates the NOTE I want AND a HIGHLIGHT. Is it possible to create only a note?

Second (I'm from Brazil), when I select portuguese as the default language the spaces between the lines in the text are considerably bigger than when I select english as the default language. Do you know anything about it?t it?

Thank you all very much!
fabio.sartorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you can't have a note without an accompanying highlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Create highlight, create note, then you can delete the highlight.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've always wondered about this, ever since K3 days. It seems a little odd that a single note creates two items on the list of notes and highlights and makes it longer than it need be, which is an issue when you have to scroll through the whole list on the device to get to a particular one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This has bugged me for a long time.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Overall I think Kindle does better than the competition with this. I like it that I can create a note that has no associated highlight. It becomes more like a footnote. Other systems seem to put some marker in the margin, and you must highlight something even if your note pertains to an entire paragraph, and it is more visually obtrusive.

Also with successive Kindles (FireOS releases, Kindle app updates, etc.) it has gotten more refined. For example, I think KK made you start at the beginning of the Notes list and make you scroll and scroll to get to what you want to look at. Now it jumps to the notes closest to your current reading position, which seems more likely to be what you want to see. And you can export the notes and highlights very conveniently now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:31 AM   #7
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
As sometimes I use notes heavily (proofreading) also was stunned when realized it's impossible now to have a clean note without doubling it with highlight.

Even reported that twice as a bug - as usual nobody @amazon cares...
krbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I'm concerned, it's never been possible to have a note without a highlight, unless I'm missing something obvious. But I have been using them extensively since K3 days. And I still have to scroll though the list of notes and highlights to find a specific one. But the Export feature is a godsend. And overall Kindles still handle these things better overall than the competition.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krbo View Post
As sometimes I use notes heavily (proofreading) also was stunned when realized it's impossible now to have a clean note without doubling it with highlight.

Even reported that twice as a bug - as usual nobody @amazon cares...
I too make notes when proofreading, but I need to highlight to easily see which point in the text the note is referring to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I too make notes when proofreading, but I need to highlight to easily see which point in the text the note is referring to.
yes, that is OK. Problem is when you go to notes list you have duble entries. For each note now you have first highlit and below it actual note with your comment. As there is a room for only four of them Kindle gives us only two notes per page. Not to mention sharpshooter qualifications required to touch "delete"
Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
krbo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's never been possible to have a note without a highlight, unless I'm missing something obvious. But I have been using them extensively since K3 days. And I still have to scroll though the list of notes and highlights to find a specific one. But the Export feature is a godsend. And overall Kindles still handle these things better overall than the competition.

you may be correct but previous models (also started from K3) gave us more options of what to see in notes list. It was possible to see only notes, only highlights and both of them.

Now it's fixed on both and that's a distraction and slowing me down.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbo View Post
you may be correct but previous models (also started from K3) gave us more options of what to see in notes list. It was possible to see only notes, only highlights and both of them.

Now it's fixed on both and that's a distraction and slowing me down.
Yes, you're quite right, I'd forgotten that. That was a useful tick/untick feature that I think disappeared when the PW came out.

Tags
highlight, language, note, question, space