Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
tabithamarie
tabithamarie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Missing books on Kobo

I converted some pdf files on my computer through Calibre and they all went on my Kobo fine and now they have all disappeared for some reason. Does anyone know why this might be? You can still see the books on the Kobo through the Finder on my Mac but I can't find them anywhere on the Kobo. They are not in the "Documents" and I've searched the title and the author.
tabithamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
What folder do you see the .pdf files in when you look at the kobo through the Mac?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabithamarie View Post
I converted some pdf files on my computer through Calibre...
It's a dumb question but are you sure you converted them to epub's? If so have you looked at the kobo using ADE? You could always try bringing them in to ADE then dropping them on the kobo from there.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
tabithamarie

If you look in Finder they show up on the main part of the device but I am also unable to locate the books that are in the "e-books" folder that Calibre has put them in.
I converted the books through Calibre and I am going to set up an ADE and try to put the books on through that instead of Calibre. The books used to show up when I put them on through Calibre, but all of a sudden they stopped showing up and I can still see them on the device when I look at it through the Finder.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
tabithamarie

I'm having the same problem with ADE. I downloaded the program, got a user ID and imported the pdf's into ADE. I connected my Kobo to the program, it recognized my device and it even says the ebooks are on the Kobo but when I turn it on to try to read them they are still nowhere to be found. I've looked under "title", "author", and "documents" and they are not there. But on the ADE it says they should be as well as in the Finder it says they are on the reader. In the Finder the books are in a folder called "Digital Editions". AHHHH!!!! This is so frustrating.
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
tabithamarie

Now it won't even let me put ANY .pdf OR .epub file on. It allows me to put it on the device but it is NOWHERE to be found on the device. Not too sure what's going on...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Me, too -- library PDF ebooks don't appear in reader

Quote:
I'm having the same problem with ADE. I downloaded the program, got a user ID and imported the pdf's into ADE. I connected my Kobo to the program, it recognized my device and it even says the ebooks are on the Kobo but when I turn it on to try to read them they are still nowhere to be found. I've looked under "title", "author", and "documents" and they are not there. But on the ADE it says they should be as well as in the Finder it says they are on the reader. In the Finder the books are in a folder called "Digital Editions".
I'm having the same problem with ebooks I've gotten from the library. They are there in the reader under "Digital Editions," they are readable with ADE, and I've tried deleting them and reloading, but they don't appear.

No problem with ePub library books, via ADE. No problem with non-DRM PDFs transferred directly (and which appear as "documents"). No problem with PDFs converted to ePub via Calibre (which of course I can't do in this case 'cause the library books are DRM'd).
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I converted some pdf files on my computer through Calibre and they all went on my Kobo fine and now they have all disappeared for some reason. Does anyone know why this might be? You can still see the books on the Kobo through the Finder on my Mac but I can't find them anywhere on the Kobo. They are not in the "Documents" and I've searched the title and the author.
Did you use the Kobo software to transfer your pdf books to your Kobo?

It sounds like you are completely dismissing the tools Kobo gave you and having troubles when your home brew "direct-to-disk" methods fail.

So ... did you use ADE to add the books and did that work? If not ... Kobo ought to be advised and fix it -- since they support pdf, albeit with the restriction of a tiny screen.

Are your ePubs working out ok?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
tabithamarie

I tried to use the Kobo software and that did not work. They files would drag on there but they are NO WHERE to be found on the device.

I did have them on there at one point. And then they all disappeared and now the only thing that will show up on the Kobo are bought books. .pdf files won't show up and neither will .epub. I have called Kobo twice now and no one seems to be able to give me any answers. I think I might try to return it and start over...