Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 05-30-2003, 03:45 PM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
jfs01, I don't want to confuse you or anyone here. You know, when I started this board I had mainly one thing in mind: to start a community. A mobile-minded community or something in this direction. Now, with the recent restrictions I want to give us an incentive to be more communicative and to interact with each other. I hope you understand my reasoning.

That said, just feel free to post anything or reply to anything you think that is interesting. It is all what is needed to get the community rolling

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

User upgraded:

volcanopele
Advert
Old 05-30-2003, 11:58 PM   #18
LSAlford
LSAlford began at the beginning.

Well, it's a bit draconian, but what the heck...

I'm in.
LSAlford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
ok...
jfs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #20
kitten_moon
kitten_moon began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
Hi,

My experience with online forums (and offline ones too for that matter) is that you can't force people to contribute.

Unfortunately there will always be a percentage of people who will not contribute, but just silently benefit from the work of others without even so much as a note of thanks. When you remove their access they will simply go elsewhere - and you don't end up expanding the community at all. So instead of 1000 visitors with 30 contributors, all you get is 30 visitors and 30 contributors (OK maybe an extreme example but you get the idea).

I used to run a BBS about 10 years ago and found the same thing back then - it's a matter of human nature I suppose.

My advice is to be patient and keep working - you can build an online community, just by providing a reason to visit. The more reasons to visit, the more visitors you get. The more visitors you get, the more contributors. Und So Weiter...

In short: I highly recommend you reconsider this policy.

Another thing: If you do want to continue with this policy, I suggest changing the "you have no access" screen. It currently says that you have no access because you haven't registered. This is not quite right - even if you do register you won't necessarily get access to the information! I think this needs to be spelled out.

I found this site looking for information on how to get iSilo to work with a given site. I used the search feature on the site name, and got a link. The link sent me to the access denied page. This is mildly annoying - I was led to believe that by registering I would get access to the information I was after. This was not the case.

Bear in mind that I had no idea about the access restriction policy. It was only after digging around a bit that I found out about it.

Thanks anyway for a great site (the bits I can see of it anyway
kitten_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2003, 10:05 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

kitten_moon,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I agree with you that in general forcing people to contribute is not a good thing.

But let's face it. Since I implemented this relatively small restriction, user participation has increased by several 100%. And it is sooo easy to gain access.

All the best,
Alex
Old 06-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Users upgraded:

crh3f
kennethmgreen
Aragorn
Old 06-04-2003, 12:05 PM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

User upgraded:

jreifsnydr
Old 06-04-2003, 08:15 PM   #24
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've only just registered isilo and joined the forum as well, but I plan on hanging around (and losing the newbie status )

As has already been said however, I don't want to post just for the sake of posting, as that seems pointless. Having said that, I will contribute when and as I can.

We could also improve turcic's profile by doing some "advertising". Contact the guys that run news sites like Clie World, tipsheets, etc, and ask them to plug the site. That can get more people interested, and perhaps get them participating in the forums too.

Hey, maybe we need a forum for new forum suggestions!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:51 AM   #25
jreifsnydr
jreifsnydr began at the beginning.

Thanks for the upgrade, Alexander ...
jreifsnydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:32 AM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:

We could also improve turcic's profile by doing some "advertising". Contact the guys that run news sites like Clie World, tipsheets, etc, and ask them to plug the site. That can get more people interested, and perhaps get them participating in the forums too.

Yup, I agree. We will work on this. Especially a lot of non-PalmOS-users (such as PPC users) haven't heard from us yet.
Quote:

Hey, maybe we need a forum for new forum suggestions!
Heh, we have that already! See here.

Greets
Old 06-05-2003, 07:43 PM   #27
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, how do I lose this "Junior Member" status, hmmm?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 PM   #28
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Oh, and get access to the links....<g>
Old 06-05-2003, 08:51 PM   #29
exjoburger
exjoburger began at the beginning.

Device: Palm M505
Out of curiosity, what is the ratio of posts to members on other Forums?
I know that on some of the ones with lots of posts, there are numerous duplicate postings.
exjoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #30
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
Hmm, trying to comprehend this new policy. Actually, was looking for other users who may had experience problems with their SD 64Mb Sandisk card. I know there are other forums, but was hoping it would be easier to navigate on this site.
drc54 is offline   Reply With Quote