Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Aristée
Aristée began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition
Question Any problems with Linux (Ubuntu) ?

Hi intend to buy the Sony PRS-300, but first, I would like to know if there are known issues with Linux since it is my main OS on my computer. And it would be nice for those of you who have that reader to tell me what is best to use as software for the management of your ebooks .

Looking forward to your replies, before buying the toy next weekend...
Aristée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
PRS-600 works great with SlackWare

Calibre will happily manage your library, convert nonDRM files between formats and copy them to your device.

I was able to get calibre working on Slackware 12.2 by installing some supporting libraries. I do not know if Ubuntu has a package, but I would assume so.

You will not be able to use AdobeDRM epubs, as the Adobe software that manages the key and decryption is only available for Windows and OSX.

You will not be able to decrypt DRM'd Mobi format books, as there are no readers for linux that will generate a reader ID key.

If you can get access to machines that support readers for those two formats, there are ways to unlock content in those formats for transfer to linux. The rules of this forum prohibit linking, but the techniques are easily located via google.

You need the Sony software to access the Sony Digital Library. Also, the Sony software has a sync feature to make sure your pc and reader have the same files. The Sony software is, at this time, the only way to organize your books into collections. Of course, it runs on OSX and Windows only.

Linux recognizes the device as a scsi device, so if you're running a stock kernel calibre will be able to recognize the reader and mount it. If you have a custom kernel, you no doubt know how to enable USB drive support.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Actually, Calibre allows you to create collections as well, they are called 'tags' in Calibre instead of collections
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
You will not be able to use AdobeDRM epubs, as the Adobe software that manages the key and decryption is only available for Windows and OSX.

You will not be able to decrypt DRM'd Mobi format books, as there are no readers for linux that will generate a reader ID key.

If you can get access to machines that support readers for those two formats, there are ways to unlock content in those formats for transfer to linux. The rules of this forum prohibit linking, but the techniques are easily located via google.

Actually, you can use Adobe Digital Editions with Crossover Office and Mobipocket Reader with wine. The latter will generate a valid PID. Installing ADE is quite simple on Ubuntu at least. First install Crossover Chromium (Google it) and then track down the executable installer for ADE. On my install (Jaunty Jackelope) all I had to do was click on the executable and it installed. I was then able to register my computer with my Adobe ID. You will need to access to a windows computer with ADE installed and registered to your Adobe ID in order to authorize the reader, however. You only have to do this once. After that, whenever you need to download a DRMed EPub, open ADE, click on the url file that is downloaded to you desktop, and drag it on top of ADE. ADE will then download your EPub (or PDF). You can then use calibre to transfer it to your reader.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiot View Post
Actually, Calibre allows you to create collections as well, they are called 'tags' in Calibre instead of collections
My understanding is that calibre tags don't translate to the internal db on the reader, so the 'collections' view on the reader would still be empty even if you tag your calibre collection. Am I incorrect?
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
My understanding is that calibre tags don't translate to the internal db on the reader, so the 'collections' view on the reader would still be empty even if you tag your calibre collection. Am I incorrect?
Yes Those tags will transfer to your collections view on the reader (At least, they do on my 700, I recon the 600 is the same
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Aristée

Sorry for the beginner's questions, but why one would need ADE ? Is Calibre alone not sufficient ?

Maybe there is something I don't understand yet... BTW, I got my Sony Pocket edition last night, and am making my first steps in the ebook world this morning...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Aristée

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Installing ADE is quite simple on Ubuntu at least. First install Crossover Chromium (Google it) and then track down the executable installer for ADE. On my install (Jaunty Jackelope) all I had to do was click on the executable and it installed.
Luqman
I installed Chromium and used it to try to download ade. But when I click on install, it alomst immediately stops with a message saying that there was an error downloading ADE ??

When you say to track down the executable installer for ADE, do you mean to do it with chromium as I did ?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...id=5004;tips=1
to download ade
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote