Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
FrancisT
FrancisT is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook, Toshiba NB100
Angry Continual reboot problem even with b796fmt

So I ran down the memory of my cybook and then cocked up the connect to computer to recharge thing so that the SD card (and presumably) the internal flash are toast.

I've reformated the external SD card and downloaded b796fmt and installed following these instructions - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...e_Library_Page - with no success. I know B796fmt worked because the SD card had the update_kernel file deleted and had the 3 folders created but the cybook still behaves the same way

Anyone got any further ideas? e.g. will B538 work and of so can anyone tell me how to get it? or is my best bet to contact Bookeen?

Francis
FrancisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
The 3 folders being created on the SD-card has nothing to do with the update working or not. The folders are created everytime you insert a fresh card.

From the way you do not seem to be 100% sure if the update was made I am pretty sure it wasn't.
You have to keep the center button pressed once the first boot screen is shown.
You will get a completely new screen that explicitly sais that the firmware is being updated - with a processbar being shown.

It takes a while and you will end up with a completely clean device.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
FrancisT

Thanks Pulp. That was the hint I needed to figure out that the update_kernal file wasn't being correctly copied onto the SD card. Fortunately it seems like Bookeen's software deletes 0 byte files called update_kernel instead of trying to run them.

Got the file on right and then indeed it updated and I now have a happy blank Cybook
Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Happy to hear that it worked - make sure to always use your PCs "safely remove hardware"-feature after you copied anything to (or deleted from) your Cybook - it makes sure the memory does not get corrupted!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
FrancisT

I am normally very very careful about this.

The original wiping occured because I didn't want the cybook switched on while recharging and so I disconnected it. Unfortunately it really had 0 juice left and died after being disconnected.

The SD card issue appears to be a "feature" of my version of linux (xubuntu 8.04) which is that it doesn't seem to properly flush the write cache on my even when I do the remove safely option when using the built in SD slot on my laptop. Now I know and so I can work around this.
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisT View Post
The SD card issue appears to be a "feature" of my version of linux (xubuntu 8.04) which is that it doesn't seem to properly flush the write cache on my even when I do the remove safely option when using the built in SD slot on my laptop. Now I know and so I can work around this.
Did you do umount? And you know that this can take some time since all the data can be in memory so you have to wait for it to finish?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
FrancisT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Did you do umount? And you know that this can take some time since all the data can be in memory so you have to wait for it to finish?
Yes and what I get when I u(n)mount the SD card is a "Unsupported IOCTL Error" when the SD card is VFAT formatted. Now that I Know what the problem is I can work around it by using a different laptop and linux version

I don't use the SD card reader much - I've tended to keep my ebook SD card in the Cybook - so I did not realize what this error signified.