Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Changed "READER" graphic, but...

I'm such a graphic moron. I know the basics -- how to resize, invert image, etc...

But, I'd like to find a site for "cool designs", patterns, images, etc... The thing is, I have no idea what to even search for. Searching for "small logos", "small graphics", and the likes just bombards me with TONS of websites with stuff dealing with nothing for what I'm looking for.

I don't want ANY corporate logos (I'm finding a LOT of Nike, Coke, IBM, etc...)

I've got an image of some cat sitting on the moon right now. But would like to change this up from time to time.

Please, somebody, give me a website or three where I can browse just patterns and designs!!!

Also, I've seen mentioned before here in the forums that people don't seem to like to have the author/current book being read in the top header -- how do I even get this to appear? I've never seen this as an option -- anywhere!

Thanks for your patience with my oddball questions.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlexian View Post
Also, I've seen mentioned before here in the forums that people don't seem to like to have the author/current book being read in the top header -- how do I even get this to appear? I've never seen this as an option -- anywhere!
This is not a user option. It is set when creating the ebook, for instance in Book Designer. After the book is created, you can't turn it on/off.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
xanlexian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This is not a user option. It is set when creating the ebook, for instance in Book Designer. After the book is created, you can't turn it on/off.
Hey, thanks a ton Valloric! Much appreciated. I love the short, simple, and sweet answers.

BTW: Your font guide was fantastic and worked like a charm!

Now... where to go for graphics???
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could check out the Open Clip Art library. It has thousands of free graphics and designs, not just clip art. You should also use an advanced image editor, like Paint.NET, or a vector graphics editor like Inkscape.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
xanlexian
Connoisseur

Holy wow! That's exactly what I was looking for!! Valloric, thank you again!!
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I think you can add/remove it using Calibre, when you convert from another format to LRF (the format used by the Sony Readers). Also, if you have an existing LRF file you can remove the header by using a couple of the command line utilities that come with Calibre:

1. lrf2lrs - converts a (DRM free) LRF file to LRS format
2. lrs2lrf - converts the LRS file from step 1 back to LRF

lrs2lrf actually reconstructs the LRF file from the LRS, and the resulting LRF file you end up with is not exactly the same as the LRF file you started with - one of the changes is that headers are stripped - I believe this is an unintentional feature (aka a bug). However, if like me you like to get as much wordage onto each screen as possible, and you do not need to be reminded on each screen of the book/author you are reading, then you might like this feature.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I think you can add/remove it using Calibre, when you convert from another format to LRF (the format used by the Sony Readers). Also, if you have an existing LRF file you can remove the header by using a couple of the command line utilities that come with Calibre:

1. lrf2lrs - converts a (DRM free) LRF file to LRS format
2. lrs2lrf - converts the LRS file from step 1 back to LRF

lrs2lrf actually reconstructs the LRF file from the LRS, and the resulting LRF file you end up with is not exactly the same as the LRF file you started with - one of the changes is that headers are stripped - I believe this is an unintentional feature (aka a bug). However, if like me you like to get as much wordage onto each screen as possible, and you do not need to be reminded on each screen of the book/author you are reading, then you might like this feature.
When you convert a book using Calibre, you are creating a new book with new options, for instance adding a header or removing it. You still can't turn the header on/off in a book that has already been created.