Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Tipiford
Enthusiast
Tipiford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10th Gen/Pixel App
Lost titles discovered after update

Not sure how or when this happened, but after an update I went to add a title of one author that we had nearly 30 titles from, and discovered the newly added title was the only title from that author. Poking around in the library, I discovered at least one other author's titles missing (with over 260 authors, I'm at a loss to know just what is missing, as there are still many titles─and authors─ in the library). I have tried the restore function, but that didn't find the missing titles. I have the 2.72 (64 bit) version installed.
Any ideas as to what caused this, or how I can resolve this issue? Fortunately, at least for this one author, I have all his titles on my reader.
Tipiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you use the OS to change any filename or folder, Calibre will 'lose track' of them. Don't mess under the skirts

Restore uses the metadata.OPF file. I believe it also assumes that the file reflects its current FILE SYSTEM position. if you messed... the OPF is stale (invalid)

Dual Boot (Win - Linux) can introduce Path Case issues.

Do read the Calibre Help: FAQ section
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have no idea why you would have lost those books, but the first thing I would do is run Check Library, including checking if the files match the database.

It's possible the actual ebook files are still there, just missing in the library. If this is the case, they'll show up in the Check Library, and at worst you would have to move them out of the library folder and re-add them to Calibre. You would lose the metadata but at least you would have the books.

One other idea: are you certain you're looking at the right library? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but you'd be surprised how often the solution to computer problems is something obvious like that. (Like having a password fail because you have Caps Lock turned on)
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Thanx fidvo,
There's no such thing as a 'dumb question,' there are only dumb answers. I tried the Check Library function to no avail, but haven't time to deal with it to any substantial degree until this morning. Using a file utility, I've found, that the latest update had created a new library entitled Calibre2, and that, for whatever reason, lost nearly 20% of my library (a good bit more than I originally discovered).
I now have my original library intact, and see that I don't need to be installing any more updates (I've gone back to version 2.21 64bit and will stay there). Thanx again.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre2 is not a normal (in any sense) name used for a Library
Calibre2 IS the name of the PROGRAM FOLDER (on Windows).

The default (AKA hinted name) Library is Calibre Library with no requirement to accept it .

Once Calibre has been installed, it remembers (the settings) of all recently used Library names, even if uninstalled, the settings remain.

What you describe implies the settings were corrupt, therfore not useable and a erroneous library location was then entered
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre2 IS the name of the PROGRAM FOLDER (on Windows).
Not any longer, it's now Secured in the Program Files folder as "Calibre," with its library of the same name. I don't plan on dealing with this issue again (or, hopefully, any other Calibre issue.)