Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not Koine Greek, it's Attic Greek - some 500 years older. But yes, you are of course absolutely right in saying that the pronunciation of the language has changed (eg the letter "beta" is pronounced "v", not "b", in modern Greek).

The fundamental point I was making, though, is that the "i" in the name "Darius" is a long vowel, not a short one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 AM   #77
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
And I adopted a semi-stray cat called Hermione. I call her Her--mee--own.
Since it's a cat, that pronunciation, wrong as it may be phonetically, is certainly semantically accurate.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 AM   #78
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not Koine Greek, it's Attic Greek - some 500 years older. But yes, you are of course absolutely right in saying that the pronunciation of the language has changed (eg the letter "beta" is pronounced "v", not "b", in modern Greek).

The fundamental point I was making, though, is that the "i" in the name "Darius" is a long vowel, not a short one.
True, in the case of Darius, anyway.

That doesn't go for the pronunciation of Aphrodite though, or does it? In particular the "di" syllable there? I've got the impression this isn't pronounced like the English "die" sound in any other language, rather more like the English "dee" sound (and same with the "mi" in Hermione, i.e. it's more like "me" than "my").
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 AM   #79
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
As I may have mentioned before, while English does have the stress right in Darius, it has got it wrong in Hermione, which should be stressed on the "o": Ἑρμιόνη
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #80
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I mentioned Koine because that's the context in which I've seen the discussion. I suspect they feel the same about Attic, but wouldn't state it without more evidence.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
That doesn't go for the pronunciation of Aphrodite though, or does it? In particular the "di" syllable there? I've got the impression this isn't pronounced like the English "die" sound in any other language, rather more like the English "dee" sound (and same with the "mi" in Hermione, i.e. it's more like "me" than "my").
True. Modern English doesn't really have any pure long vowels - they all changed into diphthongs during the "Great Vowel Shift" which radically changed the sound of the language during the 15th and 16th centuries. Consequently, when we take words from other languages that do contain long pure vowels, we mangle them.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
As I may have mentioned before, while English does have the stress right in Darius, it has got it wrong in Hermione, which should be stressed on the "o": Ἑρμιόνη
Yep - English does badly when it comes to getting the stress on Greek words correct, on the whole. Probably because the stress "rules" for Greek are different to those of English.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #83
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Yep - English does badly when it comes to getting the stress on Greek words correct, on the whole. Probably because the stress "rules" for Greek are different to those of English.
And modern English is in part a hodge podge of words 'borrowed' from other languages over the centuries which doesn't make it any easier I imagine. Certainly it is said to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest language for non-native speakers to learn. I imagine the stress "rules" only add to that difficulty in general.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote