Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
walthart
walthart began at the beginning.

Device: none
troubleshooting: downloading kindle library to 'my kindle content' folder

Hi,

A very basic question: I'm trying to download the contents of my kindle library to the 'my kindle content' folder in My Documents. None of the books in my kindle library currently appear in this folder. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
walthart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Using the Windows 8 Kindle App on Windows 8?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
walthart

I use Windows 7 on my old laptop - I assume this means I use the same version of the kindle App. I use Windows 8 on my new laptop.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You shouldn't have to do anything special on Windows 7. The Windows 8 Kindle app is a different beast altogether. The books aren't stored as a single file with the app. If having access to the ebook files is important to you then uninstall the app and install the regular Kindle for PC program on Windows 8.

If you don't see the books in your My Kindle Content folder on Windows 7 (and the program is registered to your Amazon account, and you've clicked on books in your library to download them), I can only assume that the library folder has been changed in the options. Check the options to see what folder the program set to use.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by walthart View Post
A very basic question: I'm trying to download the contents of my kindle library to the 'my kindle content' folder in My Documents. None of the books in my kindle library currently appear in this folder. What am I doing wrong?
Maybe I'm reading this wrong (if so sorry), but did you select each book in Kindle 4 PC and tell it do download?

(in K4PC click on Archived Items, then right click on the book and select download) [if anything is downloaded to K4PC it should be listed under Downloaded Items in the app, only those books will show up in My Kindle Content]
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
walthart

Thanks. I've checked options on my Windows 7 Kindle app and under content it says my current content folder is My Kindle Content. The problem is that books purchased from the Kindle store don't appear in this folder. I can access them on the app as they are in the library. I want to transfer them to Calibre and can't locate them in My Documents
Old 09-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by walthart View Post
I can access them on the app as they are in the library.
Meaning they've been downloaded and you can open an read them from within Kindle 4 PC?

Are there any files at all in Documents/My Kindle Content?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
walthart

Yes, they are downloaded (not archived in the Cloud) and I can access them via Kindle 4PC - both on my tablet and on my laptop.

There are files in Documents/My Kindle Content but none are from the Kindle Store. I realise the files I'm accessing via Kindle 4 PC are stored somewhere but I can't transfer them to the Documents/My Kindle Content location.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What type of files are they, then, if they are not the books?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Whether they are on your tablet and laptop has nothing to do with whether they have been downloaded to K4PC on your pc. Are you sure that in options that the folder is Documents/My Kindle Content, and not something else/My Kindle Content?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
walthart

Not sure if I'm answering your question here: the files in Documents/My Kindle Content are books - I'm guessing they are mobi as they are compatible with the Kindle app reader. The problem is that none of the books I've purchased from the Kindle Store appear in the My Kindle Content folder. They are in the Kindle library and I can't transfer them to Calibre from this location.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you mean by "they are in the Kindle library"? Does that mean that they are in your Archives/Cloud? If so, they aren't downloaded to the device. They have to be downloaded to be in the folder.

ETA: If you could see the files, you wouldn't have to guess about the file extension (if you turn on display of file extensions in Windows, which you should do). They are probably .azw or .azw3.

Keep in mind that the files, if DRMed, will only work on that Kindle app.

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 09-14-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something
Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
walthart

They aren't in the Cloud- under options it says they are in the C drive, under Documents/My Kindle Content.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard

If they are there, you should be able to see them, and thus be able to copy them.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
walthart

I've just checked another thread and the person with the problem says they found them by checking whether they 'had to Arrange by: Type and they were in the azw pile. Not sure why an azw search filter didn't find them'

I have no idea how to do this!