Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Ferrian
Ferrian began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
Any defects to look for?

I was thinking about returning my Paperwhite and getting a Kobo Glo whenever it comes out in the US. Is there any defects that the Glo has like color blotches or problems with the screen to look out for?
Ferrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you get a normally working Kobo Glo, nope. Blotches and other weird stuff is supposed to be the exception. My Kobo works fine, does not freeze and does not have any blotches or bright pixels.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
like quexos said, it's relatively quiet over here in Kobo-land, compared to the wailing and gnashing of teeth the Kindle PW folks seem to be going through.

no problems with screens. you'll find a few people have posted about the firmware update being difficult. that's about it.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Do it, Ferrian. You will be MUCH happier with a Glo.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrian View Post
I was thinking about returning my Paperwhite and getting a Kobo Glo whenever it comes out in the US. Is there any defects that the Glo has like color blotches or problems with the screen to look out for?
It looks like the Kobo Glo may initially be available in independent bookstores through Kobo's deal with the ABA. I'd see if you have any ABA affiliated bookstores who are taking advantage of Kobo's deal with the ABA. Those who participate will have the option of selling hardware in stores, and some of them have already indicated they will do so. Those who sell hardware will be getting demo units to try, from the sounds of things (check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2282072 one poster in that thread has actually used a Kobo Glo demo unit at an independent bookstore in the U.S.).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I can say after seeing multiple Glo's that there is the odd blemish in the screen. Pretty standard for a light up screen. My current one has a tiny imperfection in the screen from manufacturing. Nothing that would keep me from enjoying it though. It is also possible to scratch the screen if not careful. So I would open it in the store and have a good look at the screen with the light on full if you are fussy. I would also highly recommend a sleep cover to keep it from getting scratched.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Ferrian, take a look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Pixel
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
I have mine for 2 days,I have zero problems so far.
No screen problems(in contrary my screen seems perfect,something I didn't expect),no software problems(except the one with the selves that I found the solution).

Perfect experience until now.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote