Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
jbrew
jbrew began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tagging endnotes

I have seen discussion on the benefits of foot vs. end notes on the forum. I have just started converting docs to Epub and just need to know how I would link to an endnote at the end of the book. Are they treated as separate html pages? if so, how do I designate the pages to which it refers? ie: [1] in section 1 refers to an endnote in section 21. Thank you for your help!
jbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew View Post
I have seen discussion on the benefits of foot vs. end notes on the forum. I have just started converting docs to Epub and just need to know how I would link to an endnote at the end of the book. Are they treated as separate html pages? if so, how do I designate the pages to which it refers? ie: [1] in section 1 refers to an endnote in section 21. Thank you for your help!
There's a good discussion about the mechanics of Jellby's footnoting/endnoting mechanism in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103290 - read all the way to the end.

FWIW, I don't think it makes a rat's butt worth of difference whether you use foot- or endnotes; it's stylistic, in large part, and manageability in the other part--if you have very verbose authors who use a lot of citations in each "chapter" or section or segment, it may be easier to footnote the thing, and try to keep each section's notes together, rather than extensive endnoting. In Sigil, if you do all your noting before you split the Chapters, Sigil should do the updating for each Chapter (document) for you, IIRC.

@Capidamonte uses NoteTab Pro for all his notational projects, and he seems to like that quite well; if it were me, I'd do that, then drop that sucker into Sigil, insert the chapter breaks (had I not already--I have a clip in NT that does that for me), and then split it so I wouldn't have to track what went where after the split, for whatever that's worth.

HTH,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I was very impressed that Sigil took 103 endnotes in style. I feared that when I split the html ebook into separate chapter files that the notes would no longer work (because inevitably they wound up in a different file than the chapter) but they do. Well done, Sigil Guy!
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
One advantage of using chapter, rather than book , endnotes in epub files is that the notes are in the same "flow" that is currently being displayed. For some reading devices, that can make it faster to swap back and forth between notes and text.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote