Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #151
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I decided to go with k3 and one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Lamps-Bases-Sh...8&node=3736561
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #152
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Will do! I should get it Thursday.

I know what you mean by the copay. The older I get the more I feel like an old worn out car that spends more time in the mechanic shop than in my garage!
I'm going to be 35 next month so I must be a lemon. I know it has to be done so I can fight my insurance company who refuse to fill my meds. So instead of filling a $80 a month medication now they will have to pay 6k out of their pocket while I pay $400 .
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #153
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Good luck with the Fire HD, Jack. Let us know what you think. I love my Kindle Fire and the HD Fire looks super nice from what I have seen. I think you'll really like it for night reading.

Aw that's too bad. Hopefully you can get it soon though.
I will get one next month, my birthday is at the end of next month so hopefully they will still have them in stock. I know they did last year.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #154
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just ordered the Fire HD as my night reader. The iPad mini just doesn't do it for me, especially at $329. And the Nexus 7 just doesn't have the Kindle reader app's bells and whistles that come with the Fire HD. Since the Fire HD will only be used for reading, it seems like my best option for now.
Jack,

Good luck with the Fire HD 7". My 32 Gb model is due to be released and delivered to me on Oct 25.

I think you made a good choice.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #155
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Jack,

Good luck with the Fire HD 7". My 32 Gb model is due to be released and delivered to me on Oct 25.

I think you made a good choice.
Thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #156
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 7" Notion Ink Adam
So I guess many are disappointed with the Kindle Paperwhite because of the lighting issues? So I guess the workaround is to buy the old Kindle Fire for night reading and just keep the old Kindle Touch for daytime reading? I was going to buy the PaperWhite as a gift but I read about the Kobo Glo and the Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight and they seem to be better alternatives if they become available in the US or maybe if Sony ever comes out with their own illuminated reader.

Has anyone tried this method?: SolarFocus Power Lighted Cover for Kindle Touch 3G and WiFi. It is a case that has a built-in light and charges your Kindle using solar so you never have to plug-in your device. $48 at Buy.com

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/ce...ndle-case.html

Video
http://youtu.be/O4HgMs9B-Xc
esquire415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #157
Binko
Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wife and I both returned our Paperwhites yesterday.

She is planning to settle on using her Fire HD as her primary reading device. She tends to read while sitting in one place and says the tablet screen does not bother her.

I'm on the fence. I have to admit that it's tempting to go with a Fire HD and have so much flexibility at hand. But I read all over the place and really value light weight and portability.

Once my Paperwhite refund gets processed I'll probably order a K4B. For now I'll get by with the old Kindle keyboard.
Binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #158
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binko View Post

She is planning to settle on using her Fire HD as her primary reading device. She tends to read while sitting in one place and says the tablet screen does not bother her.

I'm on the fence. I have to admit that it's tempting to go with a Fire HD and have so much flexibility at hand. But I read all over the place and really value light weight and portability.

Once my Paperwhite refund gets processed I'll probably order a K4B. For now I'll get by with the old Kindle keyboard.
I just finished processing my return for a refund. 3 bad Paperwhites was enough life is too short what a hassle. Going to go back to my K4 might take a look at the K4B but my K4S is a good one.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #159
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binko View Post

I had the original Kindle Fire, but never ended up using it for reading, because of its weight, size and LCD screen. In bed at night, it was just too much eye strain to have it so close to my face. And not sure what the new ones are like, but the old ones are much thicker and heavier than the Nexus 7.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #160
flomet
flomet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Paperwhite
I use this light for my Kindle Keyboard: OCTOVO Solis e-reader Light for Kindle, it’s a good light and covers the whole screen.

It can be purchased from Amazon US & UK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31klYiGbd4L._SS400_.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	95067  

Last edited by flomet; 10-28-2012 at 05:19 AM.
flomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #161
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't give up on the Paperwhite. Its the best specialized eReader at the present time. However, its obvious that the REPLACEMENT route is a dead end especially with our INDIAN support team.

Instead, just process the refund as a defective unit from the Order page and you get a full credit for shipping to and from you.

Then just order a brand new Paperwhite from the Amazon product page. The odds are HUGE that the new unit will be great.

It appears just the replacements are a disaster. Probably, they are just sending out other folks' returns to new requesters hoping the new customers won't notice. They may not have enough new stock yet to really satisfy the demand.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #162
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The odds are HUGE that the new unit will be great.

It appears just the replacements are a disaster. Probably, they are just sending out other folks' returns to new requesters hoping the new customers won't notice. They may not have enough new stock yet to really satisfy the demand.
I received a brand new unit on Friday. It has green and pink blotches, but visibly increased contrast and no visible left corner light line.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #163
sirmaru
Wizard

Try once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I received a brand new unit on Friday. It has green and pink blotches, but visibly increased contrast and no visible left corner light line.
Try again. Just return it from the Order page and buy another new one. You've just had some incredible bad luck. Your next new PW should be near perfect.

Even if there was a QC problem initially, it should be all fixed by now.

See this discussion at the Amazon Forums:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x2XWQMU8M1DZJQ
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #164
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Was this the one promised by Amazon Andrew who said the issues were fixed?
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #165
sirmaru
Wizard

If you really want an alternative to the Paperwhite, buy the Kindle Fire 7" 32 Gb model. I haven't seen complaints about it anywhere.

It has an Automatic Brightness setting to give perfect light in any ambient light conditions without user input. It can play HD movies from Amazon (Prime customers have free ones), Netflix and HBO Go.

You can store huge song albums on that drive and the duo dolby speakers are great.

If you have huge Bible Resource Libraries, they fit on that unit with plenty of room to spare.