Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Valour549
Valour549 began at the beginning.

Device: PC Kindle
Converting an images-only Kindle Book?

Hi everyone I'm new to Calibre. After some experimenting and reading I've managed to convert most of my Kindle e-books to PDF, but there is one book that I've had trouble with.

Harry Potter A History of Magic, which I've uploaded Link to copyrighted material deleted.

Basically this book has text, but it's designed in a way that the text should be treated as part of a picture, and thus every page in this book is an image. I tried viewing it in Calibre viewer but also no luck because it's trying to analyze the words as actual text. An example Click image for larger version

Name:	3T3qyu9.png
Views:	116
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	179549

So my question is how should I setup the conversion so that Calibre treats every one of the 393 pages as an image per page, and outputs a 393-page PDF? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by issybird; 05-27-2020 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Link to copyrighted book; oversize image.
Valour549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour549 View Post
So my question is how should I setup the conversion so that Calibre treats every one of the 393 pages as an image per page, and outputs a 393-page PDF? Thanks for your help.
That's an AZW4 'Print Replica' file. It's in effect a PDF with an Amazon wrapper around it.

The KindleUnpack plugin can liberate its inner PDF without any conversion neccessary.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Valour549

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
That's an AZW4 'Print Replica' file. It's in effect a PDF with an Amazon wrapper around it.

The KindleUnpack plugin can liberate its inner PDF without any conversion neccessary.
I installed it and selected the Unpack AZW3 option, but while it gave a lot of bits and pieces of files, there no was PDF. How do I make it give me a PDF?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Valour549

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

Are you sure it's an AZW4 file? It can be downloaded from my OP.

Because by the looks of it, it's an AZW3 file.. just one that seems hard to deal with, because it has text overlaid on images on every page.

Last edited by Valour549; 05-27-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Hmmm...if it's really an AZW3, then KindleUnpack should be able to extract the EPUB, but that won't help you much. Although you might want to try it, you never know.

I wasn't able to open the book (it still has DRM), so I made an assumption going from your description. I can't help you any further, sorry.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Do not provide download links to copyrighted material. This is your only warning. Also, there are limits on image sizes. Please read the guidelines before posting again.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I own the epub version of that ebook and it is a Epub3 fixed layout so I suspect the azw3 is Amazon's dumbed down and crapped up fixed layout format. The joy of fixed layout is that every element is individually positioned on the page. Each page is not an image so trying to convert as image per page will not work. I have never found a decent method for converting a fixed layout epub to a reflowable epub or any other format for that matter.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Valour549

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I own the epub version of that ebook and it is a Epub3 fixed layout so I suspect the azw3 is Amazon's dumbed down and crapped up fixed layout format. The joy of fixed layout is that every element is individually positioned on the page. Each page is not an image so trying to convert as image per page will not work. I have never found a decent method for converting a fixed layout epub to a reflowable epub or any other format for that matter.
That's a shame. I was hoping there'd be some sort of setting in Calibre that just treats each page of the Kindle "as is" and slaps it onto a page of a PDF.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour549 View Post
That's a shame. I was hoping there'd be some sort of setting in Calibre that just treats each page of the Kindle "as is" and slaps it onto a page of a PDF.
You'd need an azw3 renderer that can handle fixed layout and does print to pdf. I played with various renderers for epub3 FLO and never found a decent answer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote