Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainKap View Post
I have both Kindle (elderly version 4, with the page turn and other keys), and Kobo (even more elderly Touch (N905). For a long time, the thing which has biased me towards the Kindle is that when I switch it on, it returns to the page where I switched it off in a second (I timed it!), whereas the Kobo takes more like 30 seconds to open the home screen after I switch it on, and then a while longer to open the book which I select from the home screen.
So you are allowing the Kindle to sleep and you are powering off the Kobo and considering that a fair test? Perhaps a more even test would be to turn off the Kindle (I think you can do this by holding the power button for 5-10 seconds until the screen blanks out) and then comparing the startup times and location after the startup. Or powering off the Kindle and letting the Kobo go to sleep and then comparing the startup times and location after power on/wake up as an alternative test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainKap View Post
After the Kobo took it into its head to do a factory reset yesterday afternoon, and now the WiFi handling has disappeared, I think it will be a write-off; at least I can continue to use the books in my Kobo library on my (Android) phone and tablet...
If you happen to have a MacOSX or Windows PC, you could use the Kobo Desktop application to set up your Touch and install the newer firmware. See Manual reset your Kobo Touch on Kobo's help pages.

My old Touch is not happy with connecting reliably to my WiFi but considering the changes in WiFi technology since it's was built not all that surprising. The other issue is the factory firmware on the Touch does not support newer secure protocols and the older protocols are no longer supported by most web sites. On newer browsers, MobileRead is using TLS 1.3 for instance. Commercial sites must be using at least TLS 1.1 with TLS 1.2 strongly recommended the payment card industry group.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-23-2020 at 02:34 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If it would give the features kepub does (particularly one screen = one page in page count) that would be fine with me. Other kepub features are nice too, but that's the one I appreciate the most.
What features in KePub do you like (and use) that the RMSDK on Kobo doesn't have? Forget page number and we already mentioned image zoom.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What features in KePub do you like (and use) that the RMSDK on Kobo doesn't have? Forget page number and we already mentioned image zoom.
Why forget page number when I already mentioned that specifically is what I like?

If there were an option with ePub to make one screen equal one page, I'd read ePub and give up kepub.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-24-2020 at 12:09 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Jon: You might be able to forget page numbering. But, from my experience here, the most popular reason for choosing the kepubs is the page numbering.

And, very few people give a damn about typography. Those who do, really care. But, the rest of us probably just roll our eyes and move on to another thread.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-24-2020 at 06:38 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 AM   #65
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Notes, of course. So if there are notes or images I use Kepub, otherwise I use Epub. And the erratic behavior of pop up notes in Kepub (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work and You are redirected to the notes) is another thing that I don't like of Kobo.

Last edited by ps67; 05-24-2020 at 12:23 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2020, 01:50 AM   #66
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Doesn't kepub give you more reading stats? I especially find the chapter bar graph useful, as I tend to read per whole chapters.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
Doesn't kepub give you more reading stats? I especially find the chapter bar graph useful, as I tend to read per whole chapters.
That's true, you do get more reading stats with KePub.

And if they are coded correctly, you can get pop-up footnotes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #68
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I only use kepub for books with notes
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #69
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Footnote work nicely on my Kindle devices: no need to convert to a specific format. Splendid!

Images are also zoomable on these fabulous devices, again; no need to convert between formats. Amazing!

Last edited by Braid; 05-24-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Footnote work nicely on my Kindle devices: no need to convert to a specific format. Splendid!
Really? The last time I looked at a Kindle eInk device, it had issues with some footnotes popping up and others jumping to the footnote on a page. And that was in a book that attempted to follow the KDP instructions on creating footnotes with bi-directional hyperlinks and using the epub3 aside element, epub:type="footnote" and epub:type="noteref" attributes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #71
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Really? The last time I looked at a Kindle eInk device, it had issues with some footnotes popping up and others jumping to the footnote on a page. And that was in a book that attempted to follow the KDP instructions on creating footnotes with bi-directional hyperlinks and using the epub3 aside element, epub:type="footnote" and epub:type="noteref" attributes.
Yes, they have worked well in my experience. Although, I don't mind so much whether the footnote appears as a pop-up or by jumping to a page: I was comparing it to my experiences trying in vain to click any sort of link on a Kobo while reading an epub.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #72
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As a Kindle owner of two different models... older Kindle Keyboard that I gave to my Mom and a Paperwhite 2. I haven't bought a new one because I want the current book cover as Screensaver BUT first off wasn't sure about the quality of the Kobo hardware and secondly could not find any info on whether Kobo could do the book cover as Screensaver without any hacking/jailbreak (that’s the only reason my Kindle Paperwhite is jailbroke). I don't buy ebooks from Amazon so that's not an issue.

Looks like a Kobo is in my future!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #73
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
secondly could not find any info on whether Kobo could do the book cover as Screensaver without any hacking/jailbreak (that’s the only reason my Kindle Paperwhite is jailbroke). ...
This is an excellent example of how wonderfully personal and subjective the ereader experience is - it reminded me of all the comments from Kobo users seeking to disable/replace the very feature mentioned here as a must-have! Vive la différence!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
As a Kindle owner of two different models... older Kindle Keyboard that I gave to my Mom and a Paperwhite 2. I haven't bought a new one because I want the current book cover as Screensaver BUT first off wasn't sure about the quality of the Kobo hardware and secondly could not find any info on whether Kobo could do the book cover as Screensaver without any hacking/jailbreak (that’s the only reason my Kindle Paperwhite is jailbroke). I don't buy ebooks from Amazon so that's not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
This is an excellent example of how wonderfully personal and subjective the ereader experience is - it reminded me of all the comments from Kobo users seeking to disable/replace the very feature mentioned here as a must-have! Vive la différence!
I'm not going to pretend I have these message boards memorized, but I don't remember discussions on turning off your current book cover as screensaver. You just go into options and turn it off.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post

Images are also zoomable on these fabulous devices, again; no need to convert between formats. Amazing!
Assuming a user buy books from the Kobo store, the way you buy books from the Amazon store, footnotes and zoomable images just work, no need to convert. At least that's been my experience.