Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
Proximanova
Proximanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, 10th generation (2018)
How do you get true bold and italics in Moon+ Reader?

I think Moon+ Reader is the very best in the Android e-reader business, for any format, because of the extreme flexibility it gives you when choosing your reading options. Want the status bar on top? Done. There are a thousand and one little options that make it a serious e-reading app.

But Moon+ has a big niggle, and that is its inability to detect bold and italic variations of a given font. Quoting myself from a recent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximanova View Post
Somewhat related, but I find that in Moon+, italics and bolded text will NOT display in their true forms, but rather pseudo-bold and pseudo-italic, even if all the font files are present on the device.

Suppose I have Adobe Caslon Regular, Bold, Italic and Bold Italic TTF files. All of them show up separately in the font picker, not as one single Adobe Caslon font. If I choose the Regular file in the font picker, I am never going to see the true italic and bold fonts, even though my device has them, but only the faux versions created by Moon+. This is especially infuriating for DOCXs, PDFs and TXTs, where I sometimes use Moon+ in order to experiment with fonts. But it seems there is no way to get true italics or bold, unless it is applied to the entire text, which is not what you want.

This is a shame, because no other app I know of has so many customisation features for the text, menus, status bars, gestures and suchlike.
I would be grateful if someone figured out a way to get all the bolds and italics for a single font. When others like FBReader and Librera are able to do this for custom fonts, I don’t see why Moon+ should not be able to.

Last edited by Proximanova; 05-10-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Proximanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximanova View Post
I think Moon+ Reader is the very best in the Android e-reader business, for any format, because of the extreme flexibility it gives you when choosing your reading options. Want the status bar on top? Done. There are a thousand and one little options that make it a serious e-reading app.

But Moon+ has a big niggle, and that is its inability to detect bold and italic variations of a given font. Quoting myself from a recent post:

I would be grateful if someone figured out a way to get all the bolds and italics for a single font. When others like FBReader and Librera are able to do this for custom fonts, I don’t see why Moon+ should not be able to.
No help as I am able to select semi-bold or bold or italic with MR pro font selection dialogue. I've installed Geogia-Pro, Bookerly, Verdana-pro, literata, literata-bookerly & some others. My font choice is the semi-bold type.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
It works fine with any added full set of fonts, you just have to add 4 files per font to have the four variants, and copy them to where moon can access them
So I can have regular, italic, bold, and bold plus italic for e.g. bookerly
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Moon+ Reader does this just fine with a complete set of fonts. Have you checked for identical spelling of the four files?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
Proximanova
Proximanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, 10th generation (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
It works fine with any added full set of fonts, you just have to add 4 files per font to have the four variants, and copy them to where moon can access them
So I can have regular, italic, bold, and bold plus italic for e.g. bookerly
I have made an important discovery. Just having four font files is never going to be enough. For them to be detected by Moon+ as four variations of the same font, they absolutely MUST be named as Font.otf (or .ttf), Font-Italic.otf, Font-Bold.otf and Font-BoldItalic.otf. The hyphens are necessary and there cannot be a space between Bold and Italic. No other naming conventions are acceptable.

This is the case with some other e-reader apps as well. I have also confirmed this for ALReader, which has the further restrictions that the fonts can only be TTFs (OTFs are not acceptable), and they must only be in the sdcard/fonts folder. (You cannot choose the folder like Moon+.)

Last edited by Proximanova; 05-15-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Proximanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 AM   #6
Tortuosit
Enthusiast
Tortuosit began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 X
As you already found out, naming is the key in Moon+. In Librera Reader it's easier, there you can define any font you want per font style.
Tortuosit is offline   Reply With Quote