Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2020, 04:16 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I guess you have had both. Me too and, after getting the Mini, the 350 was too heavy (and bigger).
I've got to admit that I like the way the Mini fits in my shirt pocket. In my case, however, the screen is a little sharper on the 350, but I think that was just the "luck of the draw" on these.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:20 AM   #17
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got to admit that I like the way the Mini fits in my shirt pocket. In my case, however, the screen is a little sharper on the 350, but I think that was just the "luck of the draw" on these.
I think the same, really, but I'm not very picky about it
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve got both a Mini and two 350s and the 350 feels nicer and sleeker and sharper. And once you put them in the OEM covers, there’s no contest; the Mini is positively bulbous where the 350 is petite. I got the Mini because I was tempted by something smaller still, but once I got it and before I found out about the full screen hack (which was much, much later), I thought the Mini was next to useless as so little text was displayed on the screen. That said, the Mini is kinda, sorta still in use as I can download directly from Kobo on it and all that padding means I toss it into my beach bag. It wouldn’t break my heart if something happened to it.

I would be tempted by a 5” front-lit reader with 300 ppl, but I can’t imagine we’ll ever see one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #19
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Hisense A5 is an e-ink phone. I use mine just as a book reader.

158 g
154.1 x 74.6 x 7.95mm
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... all that padding means I toss it into my beach bag. It wouldn’t break my heart if something happened to it.
There's an idea. Why isn't anyone marketing an ereader with a super-durable screen? Water resistance is nice, but dropping the reader on a hard surface is much more likely for me.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #21
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Thx for all the replies, comparisons, etc. Did not know an e-ink phone exists. I also realize the prs-300 is a bit bulky for a 5", was hoping a proportionally smaller 5" existed, but i guess not. photos were very helpful too!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #22
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have the Mini, the PRS-300 and PRS-350. The 300 is large and heavy due to the controls beside and below the screen. I have the 350 with both factory covers, the lighted one and the regular. The lighted cover makes it too wide I find, close to square. With the regular cover it is narrower and thinner than the Kobo Mini in it's factory cover.

Due to the larger and better screen and size/weight close to the 350 and Mini, in covers, I find that I prefer the Sony PRS-T3 to any of the 5" readers. Better screen, 212 DPI E-ink Pearl, as well as same basic width, in the cover, as the 350 and narrower than the Mini with cover, if about 1/2" taller. Even with the lighted cover it is also very close in weight to both the factory covered 5" readers without lighting. If you can live with a cover light rather than a front lighted screen the Sony T3 is an excellent reader even now IMO. I felt lucky recently to pick up a spare, with lighted cover, fairly reasonably on Ebay. Reader looks virtually unused but the cover is pretty beat up.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #23
achopen
achopen began at the beginning.

Device: White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
I have seen a 4.3" e ink in AliExpress, no touch screen, no light and no microSD. Should we give it a try?
achopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopen View Post
I have seen a 4.3" e ink in AliExpress, no touch screen, no light and no microSD. Should we give it a try?
One 4.3" reader i tried to find for a while was the Pyrus Mini. Someone here actually sold two or three of them on the Flea Market, but they only shipped to Europe. You might want to watch for these. I think a couple times they showed up on eBay.

A link to a review with pictures comparing it to a Kobo Mini...

https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pyrus-mini.html

EDIT: It looks like the TrekStor Pyrus Mini (and also named the Liro Mini) was a rebranded BK4304, but with 2GBs instead of 4GB, 8GB or 16GB. And, as you say, the BK4304 has no microSD whereas the TrekStor Pyrus Mini / Liro Mini did.

I've been able to confirm that the BK4304 size is the same as the Pyro Mini... the specs are here...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Apparently these use an OED "E-ink" screen – OED Technologies Inc. is a competitor to the E-Ink Corporation. OED Technologies calls (or did call) their "E-Ink" screen O-Paper. Supposedly it matches the specs of early E-Ink screens. (These were first made in 2013, I think.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-03-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, a 5" screen is too small.

These days, 6" is the new small screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Since this is a Family Oriented Show-'n'-Tell, I thought I would show you mine. It's retired and in a drawer, where it resides next to my huge fortune of Monopoly money. I paid around $150 or so for it back when, but it's now probably not worth 99 cents.

One photo shows the PocketBook 360 next to my current partner: A Kobo Glo HD - and it doesn't snore, gurgle, burp, or pass wind in the night!

Jon: Notice that I have it protected in a cover. I might throw the ebook reader under the car to see if it survives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_125620.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	973.6 KB
ID:	179046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_125642.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	976.8 KB
ID:	179047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_125728.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	826.6 KB
ID:	179048  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since this is a Family Oriented Show-'n'-Tell, I thought I would show you mine. It's retired and in a drawer, where it resides next to my huge fortune of Monopoly money. I paid around $150 or so for it back when, but it's now probably not worth 99 cents.

One photo shows the PocketBook 360 next to my current partner: A Kobo Glo HD - and it doesn't snore, gurgle, burp, or pass wind in the night!

Jon: Notice that I have it protected in a cover. I might throw the ebook reader under the car to see if it survives.
That PocketBook 360 is probably worth more than what you paid for it. These have gotten very rare. The Kobo Glo HDs are also fairly rare. Seems like Kobo only had these (and their close kin, the Touch 2.0) out for a very short time.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There was a newer model of the PocketBook 360 that was supposed to be superior to mine. The one I have is the first one. Anyway, it's hard to believe that it's rare, but I'll trust your judgment.

The Kobo Glo HD is a joy to use. I bought it for $60 used (in Peru, where most everything is inflated in price), about four years ago.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Ever since I have retired my PocketBook 360° I have been looking for a front-lit 5" e-ink reader.
No such device exists at the moment. At least I haven't seen one and I follow discussions such as this one ;-) .
The most recent 5" e-ink reader I saw with my own eyes was Kobo mini in 2012.
There was also Sony PRS-350.
None of those were front-lit.

The devices I am going to discuss further are not readers but phones that can be used as readers.

I have purchased an obsolete Onyx Midia InkPhone with 4.3 inch e-ink screen. Great form-factor, botched hardware and poor software. That was quite a long time ago. They were sold for a few weeks and after that they were pulled from the market

I have also purchased Yotaphone 2. The e-ink display is not front-lit, but the phone has also a fantastic amoled screen on the other side of the phone, so you can use that when you need lit screen, or when you want to use a file manager that doesn't work well on an e-ink. Or watch a movie, or use a general-purpose Android app not optimized for e-ink. Great, great device. It is a shame that the company folded and Yotaphone 3 wasn't a success (I am not sure they are manufactured anymore). Mind you, Yotaphone 3 is missing some features than version 2 has. At one moment a Chinese company purchased Russian Yotaphone brand and dumped a bunch of Yotaphone 2 devices on the market for a fraction of price. That was when I got it. There was no way I was going to pay the original 800Euro price.
You can still purchase Yotaphone 3 from some e-shops.

The only current device[s] that I am aware of are Hisense A5 and related models.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #30
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, a 5" screen is too small.
The right size ereader is a very personal choice. This morning I got out an old 4.3" phone and was reading on it. Personally I think it's the ideal size. I usually read on a 5" phone but that's mostly because it has a newer version of Android and has more storage.

A 6" ereader is unreasonably large.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote