Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espoir View Post
I have a pdf. But on the platforms I can't put it. They convert it automatically. On Amazon, I was able to put the ebook because their conversion to them from my epub posed no bp. But I want to put it on other sites and there I need an ePub. I'll try to convert the png... Cross fingers!
As others have said, this "ebook" would be completely rejected by the stores... this is not a proper ebook... it's just images of pages.

You have to go back to the drawing board and create a real ebook from this (as in, text is actual text, and can be copied/pasted/resized, etc.).

Quote:
It was two friends of mine who tested. One with a reader from 2014 but another with a reader from 2018 (with RAM =1GB). Do you think that the reader for 2018 is just too old? How do I do then? I stop bothering myself and tell them that they need the latest updates and that they can always reach me if they want a pdf?
And both didn't display the images properly? Strange.

The only thing I could think of is on older devices, like the original Nook, if you had images >~3.5 million pixels, they sometimes just disappeared, because the device itself didn't have enough RAM. These are around 3 million (1410x2250).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #17
Espoir
Espoir began at the beginning.

Device: epub3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
As others have said, this "ebook" would be completely rejected by the stores... this is not a proper ebook... it's just images of pages.

You have to go back to the drawing board and create a real ebook from this (as in, text is actual text, and can be copied/pasted/resized, etc.).

And both didn't display the images properly? Strange.

The only thing I could think of is on older devices, like the original Nook, if you had images >~3.5 million pixels, they sometimes just disappeared, because the device itself didn't have enough RAM. These are around 3 million (1410x2250).

Very good idea. I'll check.
Espoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 05:15 AM   #18
Espoir

Quote:
Very good idea. I'll check.
It's not that. It must be an update problem on their reader... My friend who has that of 2018 has just contacted the after-sales service. I'll keep you informed. How many hours wasted on something that perhaps works very well
Old 04-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
In that case, you might want to consider creating a .pdf file and publishing it as a print book via Kindle Direct Publishing.

Theoretically, you could also create a fixed layout epub, but only a handful epub3 readers and apps actually support this format.

If you want to give CSS a try, post a sample file that contains 2 typical chapters both as images and as HTML files. I'm sure that someone with better CSS skills than me will come up with a stylesheet that closely matches your layout, if you give us the name and the size of the font that you used for the images.

You also might want to remove the other attachment, since it appears to be your complete book.

FYI--not for a book that even MENTIONS Covid-19. All books, ALL, that even mention Covid, Kovid (sorry, Kovid!), CV, CV-19, "the China virus" or anything at all remotely connected to Covid-19 are actively banned from being published at Amazon.

I know that's not what this thread is about, but be aware that going that route is doomed to fail.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:27 AM   #20
Espoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
FYI--not for a book that even MENTIONS Covid-19. All books, ALL, that even mention Covid, Kovid (sorry, Kovid!), CV, CV-19, "the China virus" or anything at all remotely connected to Covid-19 are actively banned from being published at Amazon.

I know that's not what this thread is about, but be aware that going that route is doomed to fail.

Hitch
They indeed initially refused to publish it. But after explaining that it was a fiction children book about mourning and not medical advice, they accepted it on the French and American platforms. On the other hand, the Spanish platform blocks it. It's really sad. Never mind, I would share it via Kobo. My wish is to share this book, not to sell it anyway.
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's very hard now to type Corvid instead of Covid.

Make the ebook as much text as possible and not fixed layout. Make sure images are not too big.
Test on a 6" phone app and also on an older 800 x 600 resolution eink ereader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:44 AM   #22
Espoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's very hard now to type Corvid instead of Covid.

Make the ebook as much text as possible and not fixed layout. Make sure images are not too big.
Test on a 6" phone app and also on an older 800 x 600 resolution eink ereader.
So my friend still has no return from PocketBook after-sales service. I assumed it was a problem with updating them and published it as it was. For the moment, no complaints. The conversion from Amazon to Mobi already settled the pb of old kindle reading lights. It works very well. That's why I put it on Amazon first. I cross my fingers for PocketBook to confirm this blocked update problem. I keep you at the cost as soon as I know more. Thanks again to everyone!
Old 04-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Always try Smashwords first. (Upload an epub2 and a Dual Mobi made from it, also an MS Doc, Use a DOCx locally to make an epub2) and their upload checker is more thorough than Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote