Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #196
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Since a small set of people have been given advance access to the Dark Mode button in the quick icon toolbar, I have been wondering whether the upcoming feature to show the current book cover on the lock screen might also have been made available to a select few.

As far as I can tell the option to activate this feature will not appear on a device that has ads enabled. If the feature becomes available it will appear as a new choice under Settings, Device Options:

Quote:
Show Current Title on Lock Screen
Set the cover of the title you are reading to appear on your lock screen
If anyone sees this choice on their Kindle please let the rest of us know.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #197
melksnor
PRS 500
melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.melksnor is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Since a small set of people have been given advance access to the Dark Mode button in the quick icon toolbar, I have been wondering whether the upcoming feature to show the current book cover on the lock screen might also have been made available to a select few.

As far as I can tell the option to activate this feature will not appear on a device that has ads enabled. If the feature becomes available it will appear as a new choice under Settings, Device Options:

If anyone sees this choice on their Kindle please let the rest of us know.
Maybe a stupid question, but has anyone seen the communication between Amazon's servers and a kindle that toggles features? Is that something that's observable with a tool like wireshark?
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #198
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but has anyone seen the communication between Amazon's servers and a kindle that toggles features? Is that something that's observable with a tool like wireshark?
The Experimentation & Optimization group at Amazon runs WebLab to perform A/B testing on Amazon products and services. The interface to this for Kindle devices is called KWIS. (I don't know what that acronym stands for.)

The tests performed by WebLab are called "experiments" and the new features being tested are called "treatments". (Some of the terminology is reminiscent of pharmaceutical trials.) Interaction with WebLab servers appears to be over HTTP, delivering XML files such as this:

Code:
  <weblabExperimentToTreatmentMap>
    <entry>
      <key>AUTOSHELF_WEBLAB_KFA_78048</key>
      <value>T2</value>
    </entry>
  </weblabExperimentToTreatmentMap>
  <pollInterval>21600</pollInterval>
This enables treatment #2 for experiment AUTOSHELF_WEBLAB_KFA_78048.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #199
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Options that used to be in Settings and use the Internet:
Aa -> More
Book Mentions
Popular Highlights
(About this Book) Don't know were that was before?
What do any of these have to do with sharing or privacy?
"Book Mentions" just means that if a different book is mentioned in the book that you are reading, it will be underlined and (I think) there will be a link to buy/find out more info about that book.
"Popular Highlights" means that the passages that many people have highlighted will be highlighted in your book automatically.
(I turn both of these off, because I have no interest in either)
"About this book" I'm pretty sure this means that when you open a book, you'll get a pop-up giving you the book blurb from Amazon, typical time to read, and sharing options, if you have that set up on your Kindle. This is the only one that could possibly have anything to do with sharing or privacy, but you have to explicitly put in your account info for whatever social network you would be sharing to, and it doesn't happen automatically - you have to initiate it. (with the possible exception of Goodreads...you can set it to automatically mark the book as "currently reading" if you so choose, but again, you have to explicitly enter your credentials in order to have the option, and it's very easy to turn it off, even if you have turned it off in the past)

Shari

PS--I still don't know what "SM" stands for in this case
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #200
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What do any of these have to do with sharing or privacy?
"Book Mentions" just means that if a different book is mentioned in the book that you are reading, it will be underlined and (I think) there will be a link to buy/find out more info about that book.
"Popular Highlights" means that the passages that many people have highlighted will be highlighted in your book automatically.
(I turn both of these off, because I have no interest in either)
"About this book" I'm pretty sure this means that when you open a book, you'll get a pop-up giving you the book blurb from Amazon, typical time to read, and sharing options, if you have that set up on your Kindle. This is the only one that could possibly have anything to do with sharing or privacy, but you have to explicitly put in your account info for whatever social network you would be sharing to, and it doesn't happen automatically - you have to initiate it. (with the possible exception of Goodreads...you can set it to automatically mark the book as "currently reading" if you so choose, but again, you have to explicitly enter your credentials in order to have the option, and it's very easy to turn it off, even if you have turned it off in the past)

Shari

PS--I still don't know what "SM" stands for in this case
Doesn't popular highlights send your highlights to be shared with others?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #201
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hmmm...I guess it does. I wonder if there is actually any way to determine who highlighted what, though?
If you're worried about anyone *ever* having access to what you've highlighted/read on any wifi capable reader, though, the only solution is to never turn on wifi.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #202
jhowell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The Description of the feature in the Kindle UI is:

Quote:
Popular Highlights
Display passages that are most frequently highlighted by other Kindle users.
It says nothing about how those popular highlights are gathered. I assume that this setting has no impact on that.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #203
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...I guess it does. I wonder if there is actually any way to determine who highlighted what, though?
If you're worried about anyone *ever* having access to what you've highlighted/read on any wifi capable reader, though, the only solution is to never turn on wifi.

Shari
There used to be a feature called Shared Highlights, which would show the authorship of the highlights. It required opt-in to allow them to be shared, and then the other person had to Follow you. And it only worked on certain Kindle models. This never really caught on, and now you can go to Goodreads and share and Follow. I wish THOSE highlights and notes came back to Kindle in the manner Shared Highlights used to (i.e. not anonymized). One could imagine authors or literary critics sharing their notes, which would raise their profiles and perhaps spur sales of the books they annotate.

Popular highlights are anonymized, always. If somehow the passages I highlight get counted towards that, it is not of any concern to me. I often share these to Goodreads, where anyone can see them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote