Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #451
tops2
tops2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3; Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I was trying to get Apple's new New York font to work on the Kobo for fun (because why not?) since it's a reading font now used in iBooks, but no matter what I did, it wouldn't render correctly. The internal and external font and family names were correct, the weights were consistent throughout, I tried it with and without PANOSE data but it would always render as italicized.

Long story short, it turns out that "Style Map" in the OS/2 section also needs to be set correctly as well, either to Regular, Italic, Bold, or Bold Italic depending on the font. Apple had set it to Regular across all four font types, and as soon as I edited that section, everything worked.

So just a heads up in case anyone encounters the same issue when working with any other fonts after following all the previous suggestions on how to make this stuff work: Make sure the Style Map section is set correctly too!
I'm curious which fonts you used for the New York font? I tried using the New York Medium versions, and used FontForge to modify the Style Map. But it seems like the 4 New York fonts I copied over looks "bold"...

I've copied Bookerly font and other fonts before and they look fine.
tops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #452
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
I'm curious which fonts you used for the New York font? I tried using the New York Medium versions, and used FontForge to modify the Style Map. But it seems like the 4 New York fonts I copied over looks "bold"...

I've copied Bookerly font and other fonts before and they look fine.
It depends on what font size you like to read at. Apple recommends New York Small for 20 pt and lower, and New York Medium for 20-35 pt. The problem is, I don't know how the Kobo font slider equates to pt size. So I'm just using New York Small since I like to read closer to the left side of the font size slider.

However, if you just straight copy the fonts over to your Kobo, they'll look bold because the internal weights are all messed up (MacOS probably ignores what's there in favor of using their own Dynamic Text Sizing algorithms. You'll need to open up each of the fonts in something like Fontforge and correct the weights to match the font type (both PANOSE and Style Map), instructions on how to do so are scattered around this thread).
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #453
tops2
tops2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3; Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
It depends on what font size you like to read at. Apple recommends New York Small for 20 pt and lower, and New York Medium for 20-35 pt. The problem is, I don't know how the Kobo font slider equates to pt size. So I'm just using New York Small since I like to read closer to the left side of the font size slider.

However, if you just straight copy the fonts over to your Kobo, they'll look bold because the internal weights are all messed up (MacOS probably ignores what's there in favor of using their own Dynamic Text Sizing algorithms. You'll need to open up each of the fonts in something like Fontforge and correct the weights to match the font type (both PANOSE and Style Map), instructions on how to do so are scattered around this thread).
Thanks! Boy..I guess I'll probably just put it on hold for now.. Thanks for the tips!
tops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:30 AM   #454
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
There is now a version 3 of Literata.

Last edited by JeanPierre; 05-22-2020 at 08:45 AM.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #455
Vetchy
Connoisseur
Vetchy began at the beginning.

Can somebody recommend me a font with full support of transcription in dictionary?
Vetchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #456
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
There is now a version 3 of Literata.
Where is the font?
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #457
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetchy View Post
Can somebody recommend me a font with full support of transcription in dictionary?
I don't understand the question. Can you elaborate?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #458
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Where is the font?
It has to be built itself, which I did, but I am having some trouble using it at the moment since the BoldItalic variant is used as the Italic after I run it through ReadifyFont.

I've attached the output of build-static.sh, in case anyone else can get it working. This image depicts the settings I tried most recently with ReadifyFont.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Literata-v3-static.zip (5.43 MB, 245 views)

Last edited by JeanPierre; 05-22-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #459
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
It has to be built itself, which I did, but I am having some trouble using it at the moment since the BoldItalic variant is used as the Italic after I run it through ReadifyFont.

I've attached the output of build-static.sh, in case anyone else can get it working. This image depicts the settings I tried most recently with ReadifyFont.
Thank You

I will try to modify it with Font Forge, it often works for panose inconsistency (I am not really able to use it, I only know how to fix font for Kobo) Which point I should use for Kobo? there are 12 36 72 and 7.

Edit I tried with 12p but Kobo see them as 4 different font, not as -Literata 12 pt with the classic 4 variant.

Last edited by ps67; 05-22-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #460
Vetchy
Connoisseur
Vetchy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't understand the question. Can you elaborate?
I'm mean a word transcription, allow told words correctly. See example bellow:

salmon
['sæmən]

English is not my native language, but I'm reading on it many articles and use dictionary for unknown words.
But sometime I'm see empty spaces in transcription. But when I'm check word on PC dictionary, all letter in right place.
Vetchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #461
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
https://www.vulgarlang.com/ipafonts/
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #462
JeanPierre
Zealot

Okay I figured out what was wrong with the ReadifyFont outputs: the Styles (SubFamily) attributes were not set correctly for the Bold and Italic font variants. I went ahead and corrected these manually and have attached the resultant files.

Quote:
Thank You

I will try to modify it with Font Forge, it often works for panose inconsistency (I am not really able to use it, I only know how to fix font for Kobo) Which point I should use for Kobo? there are 12 36 72 and 7.

Edit I tried with 12p but Kobo see them as 4 different font, not as -Literata 12 pt with the classic 4 variant.
I am currently using—and prefer—the 36pt variant since I have my font size on my Kobo set to 35, but I will try the 12pt variant later and see which of those two I prefer. 7pt might be preferable for those with tiny font settings, and 72pt might be preferable for those with enormous font settings.

If you liked the old version, the closest one to it is the 12pt variant. The difference is in the weight of certain edges of characters, which decrease as the point rating increases. I find I like the 36pt variant best.

NOTE: if you are replacing files with the same name in the fonts/ directory on your Kobo eReader, you will need to turn your device off and then on again in order for the reader to pick up the change and start rendering with the new font (as of the latest firmware: v4.21.15015).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Literata-v3-forKobo.zip (1.72 MB, 340 views)

Last edited by JeanPierre; 05-22-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added note.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #463
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I'm mean a word transcription, allow told words correctly. See example bellow:

salmon
['sæmən]

English is not my native language, but I'm reading on it many articles and use dictionary for unknown words.
But sometime I'm see empty spaces in transcription. But when I'm check word on PC dictionary, all letter in right place.
Ah, you mean you want to use a "better" font than the default Georgia to display the special characters often used by dictionaries for things like pronunciation and word origin.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all font solution for all languages but I settled on Arial to handle my most comprehensive English dictionaries. Calibri also had good glyph coverage. Both are included in standard Windows 10 font directory. Noto Serif and Bookerly aren't too bad if you prefer a serif font.

If you're a kobopatch user you can use the patch `Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height` to define the alternative dictionary font to be used.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #464
ps67
Guru

Quote:
Thank You

The obvious solution is to change also the font family that must be the same. Otherwise Kobo will see Regular, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic as 4 different fonts. Now it works well.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #465
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Ah, you mean you want to use a "better" font than the default Georgia to display the special characters often used by dictionaries for things like pronunciation and word origin.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all font solution for all languages but I settled on Arial to handle my most comprehensive English dictionaries. Calibri also had good glyph coverage. Both are included in standard Windows 10 font directory. Noto Serif and Bookerly aren't too bad if you prefer a serif font.

If you're a kobopatch user you can use the patch `Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height` to define the alternative dictionary font to be used.
ChareInk has rather good glyph support. I suggest giving that a try.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote