Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
[Android] Coming Back To Calibre Companion

Hello there.

I've been using CC since 2014 (I had to check my play store purchases to remember when I bought it). It kept my books well organized and it did what I needed it to do. There were some bumps a long the way (like that old file system redirecting thingamajig), but CC still managed to pull through. Even after the support was dropped, everything still worked fine for me.

What I did notice was sending books to my phone via CC TAKES AGES, and it often disconnects while in the middle of a batch transfer, which kinda got annoying. I've changed phones multiple time these past few years, and restoring my library is not a pleasant thing to do. I don't know if this is a me problem or a CC problem that developed after the support ended. I haven't really visited this part of the forums for CC.

I've recently aquired a Kindle and have been using it as a main reading device. But it also can't hold all my books, so I only send the ones on my immediate TBRs. What CC now does for me is find books to read, since search function for the Kindle is basically non-existent for side-loaded books.

Anyways, now that I have a new phone, and I'm restoring my CC library and database again (taking almost a few hours now), I decided to check what's up with CC recently because IT'S SO SLOW to transfer books.

And here I am, surprised by the fact that CC has been sold and there's already a new version for iOS.

Now, forgive me for asking so many questions, but everything is scattered and I'm not mentally equipped to comb through all the posts here. I'll itemized them so it's easier to answer (please do as I'm really confused ).

All of these is me connecting as a wireless device.

1. Has CC always been slow when transferring books? I don't remember it being slow when I was first using it. I went through 3 different devices these past 2 years that I've noticed the slow transfer. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Disconnecting when transferring books. This seems to be a recent development. Even when I'm just transferring 1 book (it still takes a while), sometimes my phone will just disconnect to CC. I don't think it's my phone, since it's been transferring metadata for the past hour now. Any insight?

3. Future of CC? While perusing the posts here, all I got was there seems to be a subscription based payment now? Can someone elaborate? For the life of me, I can't find a post on the roadmap CC is taking with the "new management". Any links or insights will be highly appreciated.

So I don't really have that many questions, but I do hope I get some answers since I'd like to keep using CC for ebook management.

Have a nice day, everyone!
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Hello there.

I've been using CC since 2014 (I had to check my play store purchases to remember when I bought it). It kept my books well organized and it did what I needed it to do. There were some bumps a long the way (like that old file system redirecting thingamajig), but CC still managed to pull through. Even after the support was dropped, everything still worked fine for me.

What I did notice was sending books to my phone via CC TAKES AGES, and it often disconnects while in the middle of a batch transfer, which kinda got annoying. I've changed phones multiple time these past few years, and restoring my library is not a pleasant thing to do. I don't know if this is a me problem or a CC problem that developed after the support ended. I haven't really visited this part of the forums for CC.

I've recently aquired a Kindle and have been using it as a main reading device. But it also can't hold all my books, so I only send the ones on my immediate TBRs. What CC now does for me is find books to read, since search function for the Kindle is basically non-existent for side-loaded books.

Anyways, now that I have a new phone, and I'm restoring my CC library and database again (taking almost a few hours now), I decided to check what's up with CC recently because IT'S SO SLOW to transfer books.

And here I am, surprised by the fact that CC has been sold and there's already a new version for iOS.

Now, forgive me for asking so many questions, but everything is scattered and I'm not mentally equipped to comb through all the posts here. I'll itemized them so it's easier to answer (please do as I'm really confused ).

All of these is me connecting as a wireless device.

1. Has CC always been slow when transferring books? I don't remember it being slow when I was first using it. I went through 3 different devices these past 2 years that I've noticed the slow transfer. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Disconnecting when transferring books. This seems to be a recent development. Even when I'm just transferring 1 book (it still takes a while), sometimes my phone will just disconnect to CC. I don't think it's my phone, since it's been transferring metadata for the past hour now. Any insight?

3. Future of CC? While perusing the posts here, all I got was there seems to be a subscription based payment now? Can someone elaborate? For the life of me, I can't find a post on the roadmap CC is taking with the "new management". Any links or insights will be highly appreciated.

So I don't really have that many questions, but I do hope I get some answers since I'd like to keep using CC for ebook management.

Have a nice day, everyone!
Hey!

I am currently part of the new management team for CC.

Would be happy to go in more detail on your questions above. Also would like to hear more detail on this syncing issue and how many books you have in your library.

Please shoot me an email at ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com.

Thank you,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
well for the life of me I cant see how you failed to find out what been happening, the first 4 stickies are all about the future of CC - they have a complete account + lots of user reactions

and honestly the CC forum is not that big, you could read all that's happened this year in a couple of hours. or just read all my posts in the CC forum, or PMRev's. Read both preferably, for balance

CC has never been slow for me- i dont do batches but individual books typically download in 1 second.

I have seen older threads about slowness- so you could to if you scan the CC forum- most resolved as networking issues
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:09 AM   #4
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
well for the life of me I cant see how you failed to find out what been happening, the first 4 stickies are all about the future of CC - they have a complete account + lots of user reactions

and honestly the CC forum is not that big, you could read all that's happened this year in a couple of hours. or just read all my posts in the CC forum, or PMRev's. Read both preferably, for balance

CC has never been slow for me- i dont do batches but individual books typically download in 1 second.

I have seen older threads about slowness- so you could to if you scan the CC forum- most resolved as networking issues
That is the effect of being awake for more than 24 hours. I've read through all the stickies after waking up, and well... the situation really is sticky, pun intended...

And thanks. I'll give this forum a search for slowness. Although idk why it would only affect CC, since using other apps to transfer files between my pc and phone wireless seems to be just fine.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a forum search for "slow" has 98 hits but they willl not all be relevant
read this one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=slow
these is a large folder known issue that may apply to your case ?
this one also
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=slow
Old 05-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
@stumped has already directed you to threads talking about slowness to transfer books, this is the entry FAQ (written by the previous owner) that is mentioned in those threads: http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/index.php?solution_id=1094.

Related to the subscription model, unfortunately is true, the new owner is migrating to that. If you purchased the app previously, you "might" continue using it with a nagging pop-up to subscribe, it seems that is what they ate doing in IOS now.
As I have older versions of Android, for now I'm not going to update the app, but I'm already looking for alternatives to CC because the older version probably won't work with Android 10 due to changes in Android permissions for apps. Chaley couldn't find a workaround to make the app continue working as now, so he stopped development and finally sold it. I think the main problem was transferring the books to a reading app, so if your use case is just consult in CC what to read on your Kindle, it might be possible you won't be affected by the changes in newer versions, and paying for the subscription or the nag screen while it works without subscription will work for you.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Old android version worked ok with android 9. I don't have an android 10 device to test with.
New beta hands off a copy of book to reader app, as per Google guidelines. See my other recent posts for my own test results and views on that.
I plan to not use the "read" button in new CC because it will generate an extra copy of each book.
If I keep it, it will just be as a downloader. But note that moon reader can do that already, it can connect to calibre opds server directly
Old 05-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
hleo12
Guru

Thanks for the links. I tried the rename thingy and it helped some. Although I still get disconnects often (though I suspect that's more on calibre's side now). I think I spent 2 days transferring 1400+ books.

Anyway, the current version, as stumped has said, is doing just fine as an organizer. I do plan to use it as such going forward (still in the market for a new app). I also might look into making things work with just Moon+. Better to get used to things now.

I have to reformat my phone some time this week to "fix" android notifications (I'm not looking forward to that), so I might just have to play with other apps and see what else works for me.