Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 04-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
howardgo
howardgo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Troubleshooting epub files

I buy my books in many different locations and use Calibre to remove the DRM for my own backup purposes and to read them on KOReader. Recently, I have two books that KOReader will not open.

They both appear in the list of books. One looks normal but only has a blank page. Going to the next page brings up the end of book dialog. The other book just shows a message that the epub has an error instead of a book title. Both of these books open in Calibre and on the native Kobo side of my Kobo Aura One.

Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot the issue with these two epubs so I can read them on KOReader?
howardgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
There's a program called epubcheck, on Linux you can easily install it. You can also use it online through http://validator.idpf.org/

Besides that there's an EPUB scrambler you can use to share the documents with us. Unfortunately I can't quite recall the right term to find it atm, but I'm sure @NiLuJe will help me out.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998 .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
howardgo

Thanks to both of you! Unfortunately, that still leaves me with a non-working ebook. I ran it through both the epub validator online and also used the Calibre check. No errors were found by either one. The file loads onto my ereader wirelessly, but when I open it, it says there is an error with the epub file. The cover image also doesn't show on the list like the rest of my epubs.

I have attached the scrambled file. I appreciate any help or hints. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: epub Howardgo_ebook1_scrambled.epub (2.91 MB, 113 views)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Did you test the scrambled document yourself? It seems to open just fine for me.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
There's a program called epubcheck, on Linux you can easily install it. You can also use it online through http://validator.idpf.org/

Besides that there's an EPUB scrambler you can use to share the documents with us. Unfortunately I can't quite recall the right term to find it atm, but I'm sure @NiLuJe will help me out.
Forget the online validator. Use the plugin for Calibre or Sigil to use epubcheck locally.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
howardgo

I installed the ebpub check plugin. It also shows no errors, but the epub can't be read in KOReader and shows an error reader it.

Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The file you attached works fine.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
howardgo

It seems to be an issue with the latest (April) release of KOReader for Kobo. The same epub file works on my Android phone with the same version of KOReader installed. Anyone know how I report the issue?
Old 04-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardgo View Post
It seems to be an issue with the latest (April) release of KOReader for Kobo. The same epub file works on my Android phone with the same version of KOReader installed. Anyone know how I report the issue?
Try the copy I've attached here of your scrambled copy.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Educated.epub (2.85 MB, 129 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JSWolf copy works as well as howardgo scrambled copy. Before raising an issue check that by copying both to your device using USB. The original could become corrupted, specially if transferred via calibre wireless device driver.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
howardgo

How can I transfer the file with the USB cable? Where are the ebook files stored in KOReader?
Old 04-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardgo View Post
How can I transfer the file with the USB cable? Where are the ebook files stored in KOReader?
1. Exit KOReader
2. Open calibre on your computer
3. Connect your kobo to your computer via usb
4. Click "ok" or whatever on the popup asking you if you want to share with your computer
5. Wait a couple of seconds until calibre recognizes your device
6. Do the same you did to send your ebooks wirelessly, this time the device is hooked wired.

TL;DR: calibre send books to the top directory exported via USBMS: (/mnt/onboard for kobos). KOReader can store ebooks where the user wants to, but relies on platform defaults (aka: the same as calibre)
Old 04-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro

Once you check that you have no problem with that particular ebook you can try to remove it and send it wireless again. It should work fine. If not please report here or in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues
Old 04-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've made some changes to the scrambled version I've attached. I removed all unused CSS and cleaned up some of the CSS. So hopefully it will work.