Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
New skin case for kindle 2

Just noticed this on Amazon. Looks like a good idea if you like to read the kindle out of the case to add some grip and protection to it but hate silicon cases.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Generat...1562918&sr=1-1
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Interesting. I wonder how well it fits over a Kindle with a skin on it.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
Interesting. I wonder how well it fits over a Kindle with a skin on it.
Same here.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

I finally ordered one and should receive it in 2-3 days. I'll let you know how it fits with the skins. I can't imagine it being a problem. I'll try to post some pictures.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Thumbs up

@lisreed. I have had one of these about a week now, I love it. I was hoping it wouldn't be a flimsy, cheap sort of plastic --it's not, its thick (but not so thick as to be distracting) and also strong. I love the 'feel' it gives the Kindle, it was a very satisfying feeling hear the audible 'clicks' as this case snapped into place, sort of like I was strapping battle armor onto it. It fits perfect too, you honestly can't slide a piece of paper between the plastic and the Kindle, its that form-fitted -- so I don't know how that would affect the fit of a Kindle + Skin inside this case.

I had bought it as the same time I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025LP6OM and they arrived the same day, but I was really unhappy with the TrendyDigital case. The leather sleeve that held the kindle was misaligned, so the cutouts didn't match the Kindle as well as I would expect. So I went Frakenstein on it and cut out the leather sleeve, and what do you know, the outer leather 'shell' of the Trendy makes a perfect snap-wrap for the plastic case!

It isn't a 'reading' case, you won't hold this like a book since it has no clips or straps inside anymore. This mod is more of a travel wrap for protection in a purse or bag (I had bought this Kindle for my mom to carry to work with her, so I know it is going to be safe now). Sorry for hijacking your thread Lis, just wanted to toss this idea out there and let you know what I thought about that plastic case you got, hope you don't mind! =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaseMod-1.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	631.6 KB
ID:	29287   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaseMod-2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	637.9 KB
ID:	29288   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaseMod-3.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	29289   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaseMod-4.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	608.3 KB
ID:	29290  
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Exer is there plastic around the buttons. It looks like the skin is not on the buttons or the keyboard.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Exer is there plastic around the buttons. It looks like the skin is not on the buttons or the keyboard.
No the buttons are left uncovered, as well as the screen, keyboard, power switch / headphone port, charging port, and speaker grills. "Skin" is a little bit misleading with this product, it is more of a hard-shell protective case. The case is 'raised' though, so you could literally drag this thing across the sidewalk and the exposed bits of the kindle itself wouldn't be scratched (not that anyone would ever do that lol). It is definitely not a soft case product like a silicone case.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
lisreed
Addict

Thanks for the info and pics! I hate silicon so I wanted this case because I like to read the kindle without a case a lot and I thought it would add more protection and make it a bit thicker to be more comfortable when holding the kindle.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Thanks for the info and pics! I hate silicon so I wanted this case because I like to read the kindle without a case a lot and I thought it would add more protection and make it a bit thicker to be more comfortable when holding the kindle.
I'm waiting for a review from you Lisreed before I order!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
lisreed
Addict

Still haven't received it Lily. Hopefully tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
lisreed
Addict

Got my case today. I like it. Provides good protection from the case of the kindle getting scratches and provides grip for the back. Also I feel it makes it more comfortable to hold. I off and on would read the kindle out of a case when I didn't want the weight of the case but it always felt too thin to hold for long periods. This adds enough bulk around the kindle to make it a comfortable level of thickness to hold. No problem using it with a skin. The case snapped in place with no problems. It adds about 3 ounces weight which is still less than most cases.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	29402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	29403  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I had a similar case for my iPhone and was not crazy about it. I am glad you like it though.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
lisreed
Addict

I had a similar case for my iphone and didn't like it. This was is better made.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
Lilly
Guru

Thanks lisreed for the review and pictures!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
This may be a silly question, but why would you want to protect the case, but not the screen? (it's almost 5am and no sleep yet so let me have it with the logical answers).
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote