Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
kittwalker
kittwalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen
Lightbulb Downgrade an already jailbroken Paperwhite?

I've already JB'd by Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen on 5.14.2 using the WatchThis method, back in May. My 100% sole reason to jailbreak was for custom screensavers, which I've got running grand.

But during the WatchThis jb, something happened with my Goodreads integration, meaning I can no longer update my reading progress with the share > Goodreads option. It's a small feature, I know, and I'm likely one of like 8 people that use it. But I like it, and I'm used to it.

So, my question is, since my PW is already jailbroken, can I downgrade the firmware with the goal of using a fresh jailbreak meant for an older firmware, so that the Goodreads integration still works?

Or is that a silly / unfeasible plan? Or is there a fix for the goodreads thingy? Or a KUAL for Goodreads ( or even Storygraph, so I can de-amazon my Kindle as much as I can )?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
kittwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:31 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This vaguely rings a bell, but I don't remember if a workable solution was ever reached. You might want to go digging in the original WatchThis thread?

(For the GoodReads thing, I mean. A downgrade is doable, but should not be done lightly. IIRC there's a somewhat recent thread on that for current devices... somewhere ;o)).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
A downgrade is doable, but should not be done lightly. IIRC there's a somewhat recent thread on that for current devices... somewhere ;o)).
Here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165

And I think a re-jailbreak is probably not needed, but reinstall of packages is.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:31 AM   #4
buyifan43
Enthusiast
buyifan43 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 4 and KT2
on jailbroken pw4 it's possible to use the "diags firmware" to downgrage to any version of firmware and you can try to use it to downgrade to a jailbrokable (is that the correct word?) version and do the jailbreak use the old method instead of the WatchThis method
be aware that I 've only done this once downgrading from 5.13.6 to 5.12.4, and I don 't know what will happen if on newer version ,so be careful.
buyifan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
szabio
szabio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
I was wondering what happens if one puts an older fw in the root and restarts the device? It simply ignores and removes it?
szabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, the updater throws an error and reboots.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote