Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #31
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, those are completely different. Also different from each other. You can't seriously believe that.
Twitter: Human generated content and inept adverts and other posts in your timeline.
CNN: Simply a web site.
Netflix: Simple database front end to video streaming.
I don't even know what you mean by "Hilton Hotels". Their booking system? Or have they got an in house ordering app simulating a concierge? That's far simpler than Alexa, Cortana, Siri or Google Go, but could use one of them as a backend.

Obviously common commands are curated ages ago and in the pattern matching database (a process dishonestly called "Machine Learning").
That kind of thing was available 25 years ago and doesn't need the Internet, but Alexa needs the internet because the database is on a remote Amazon server, though you can test if it caches by disconnecting internet and seeing do any commands work.
Wait. I'm sorry for going off topic, but I need clarification on something. Quoth, are you saying that you truly believe that Amazon employs 1,000s of people who's job is listening to the questions that people ask Alexa, then answering those questions?

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 12-06-2022 at 09:29 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Wait. I'm sorry for going off topic, but I need clarification on something. Quoth, are you saying that you truly believe that Amazon employs 1,000s of people who's job is listening to the questions that people ask Alexa, then answering those questions?

Shari
It's very much more complicated than that, but all so-called AI/Machine Learning is actually human curated content feeding databases used for pattern matching. So your random question is never answered in real time by human listeners, but the system needs thousands of human "curators" to main performance. Without them the service will degrade. That's why Amazon is making 1000s redundant in Alexa division as that doesn't really make money. It will degrade to late 1990s quality of text to speech creating queries on a search engine.

I started researching so called AI in late 1970s and AI was the reason I took up programming. I've been on courses on AI and visited one company producing Expert Systems (the old name for "AI"-"Neural Networks"-"Machine Learning").
Specifically I've also done a bit of research on Chatbots, which are not quite the same thing as Alexa as most are either entertainment, attempt at therapy, fake social media accounts selling stuff or propaganda or customer service.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-07-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 12:59 PM   #33
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would really recommend an echo. I wish I had had it for my elderly father who had macular degeneration. He couldn't even read a clock. Alexa can give the time, day of the week, weather, time a nearby store opens and its phone numbers, as well as read audio books and play music on demand. It does need a server but once set up you could put the laptop in a closet or take it home with you.

Talk to your library. My library system had special players about the size of a tape recorder. People who were legally blind like those with macular degeneration, could get them. The player had a few really big button controls with distinctive shapes. It would read aloud the titles of the books or magazine loaded on a usb stick and open and read the one chosen. I managed his library account for him, downloading from the website and adding or removing from the usb stick. I suppose you could mail them to her if you are not nearby. He really enjoyed the Economist which very kindly made itself free to the legally blind. Her local library system might have other suggestions as well as The Society For The Blind.

For a kindle or oasis have you considered setting up a child account for her. The only books she would see on her kindle are those you put in the child account profile. You should be able to add and remove remotely.

Last edited by crossi; 12-13-2022 at 01:12 PM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:27 AM   #34
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
What did you decide to go with?
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:57 AM   #35
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
My two cents if you haven't already made up your mind:
Involve someone else in the "scheme"! Surely your MIL doesn't lives a hermit life on a desert island where noone else is welcome someone closer to her can help with book transfer a couple of times a month (or whatever timeframe would be good).
After all, there will be need for internet connection somewhere along the line between you and her reader. That other person doen't have to know anything about Calibre och ebooks in gereral. If they have a laptop they can download books that you send as email attachments and then bring the laptop to her and transfer the books through USB.
Maybe this way of doing it isn't for, but I would suggest you start thinking along the way of involving someone else. It would make things so much easier!
As for the hardware, I don't know a lot about the current options, but I think physical page turning buttons would be good. If 7" screen size is enough the Kobo Libra 2 is very comfortable to hold withe the large bezel at one side. I'm sure the Kindle that looks the same (Oasis?) is too. Bigger screen would of course be nice, but price goes up quite steeply then. And I'm not sure how much of a difference an 8" really is to 7".
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:26 AM   #36
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Kindle's Send-to-Kindle service is a joke. If the EPUB doesn't have the ISO setting, then it defaults to ISO-8859-1 which then messes up special characters like öäå and such. Also, their EPUB conversion is terrible compared to the one in Calibre. I gave up on that service and side load via Calibre to Kindle from now on for me and my girlfriend.

As to my mom, I have been struggling with the same issue as the OP as she is not very techy person and even side loading is way to complicated for her and she lives too far away for me to do side loading for her.

So I was looking at some options and it seems that Pocketbook has a Send-to-Pocketbook service which you can email your Epub (just like Amazon) but AFAIK they do not make any conversion but just simply redirects the EPUB file to the Pocketbook in question. I think Pocketbooks also have Dropbox support which would allow you to control what books she sees on her device.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A couple of years back for one of my older in-laws, I set up her Kobo's DropBox access and now simply copy any new books into the DropBox folder linked to it. Works pretty well and beats a 200KM commute.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Kindle's Send-to-Kindle service is a joke. If the EPUB doesn't have the ISO setting, then it defaults to ISO-8859-1 which then messes up special characters like öäå and such. Also, their EPUB conversion is terrible compared to the one in Calibre. I gave up on that service and side load via Calibre to Kindle from now on for me and my girlfriend.
There is a very easy solution that works. Use the Modify ePub plugin and have to make sure the ePub is UTF-8. It's really easy to do.

Quote:
As to my mom, I have been struggling with the same issue as the OP as she is not very techy person and even side loading is way to complicated for her and she lives too far away for me to do side loading for her.

So I was looking at some options and it seems that Pocketbook has a Send-to-Pocketbook service which you can email your Epub (just like Amazon) but AFAIK they do not make any conversion but just simply redirects the EPUB file to the Pocketbook in question. I think Pocketbooks also have Dropbox support which would allow you to control what books she sees on her device.
There's a very easy solution. What I did with my mother was I setup Teamviewer on her laptop and was able to remote access her computer. All she had to do was plug the Reader into the computer and press the button on the screen to connect it. I was able to upload, use Calibre, and side load from home.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:41 AM   #39
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a very easy solution that works. Use the Modify ePub plugin and have to make sure the ePub is UTF-8. It's really easy to do.
Still for most of the books the styling is way off from the original EPUB file. For example chapter titles may be in weird location, too much spacing in between dialogs, no italics or bold text, etc... Calibre's EPUB to Kindle conversion is 100% spot on.

Thanks for your tip about the TeamViewer app, this will help me in so many things to help her not only with reader but other apps as well
Old 02-02-2023, 04:38 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Still for most of the books the styling is way off from the original EPUB file. For example chapter titles may be in weird location, too much spacing in between dialogs, no italics or bold text, etc... Calibre's EPUB to Kindle conversion is 100% spot on.

Thanks for your tip about the TeamViewer app, this will help me in so many things to help her not only with reader but other apps as well
Why are you using send-to-kindle instead of using Calibre to convert to KF8? If you did it that way, it would work much much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:57 AM   #41
arturg
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you using send-to-kindle instead of using Calibre to convert to KF8? If you did it that way, it would work much much better.
I wanted to use send-to-kindle so my mother would get new books into her Kindle so that I wouldn't have to drive there every time she wants a new book. There is now way she would know how to buy the epub book from a store, download it and put it into Calibre and the side load Kindle. But because send-to-kindle messes up styling with their epub conversion I gave up on the service.

We tried TeamViewer yesterday and it worked like a charm. The only thing she now has to do is plug her Kindle into her laptop and connect to teamViewer and I will do the rest.

Tags
ereader, seniors