Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
My Oasis has splotchier lighting than any early Paperwhite or Voyage I've seen.

I was going to post a review on Amazon, but the Oasis page says it hasn't yet been released and reviews can't be posted. I contacted support and they said I may hear from someone about it in 2-3 days.

So anyway, just got my Oasis. This was my reaction.

- Wow, super light, feels great holding with 1 hand
- The black leather case is horrible, feels like plastic (more than expected). Jealous of everyone who ordered different colors.

I turn the device on, instantly am presented with lighting that may be splotchier than any I've seen on an early paperwhite or voyage.

See photos. 2nd one doesn't really do it justice. There are blue splotches all along the edge of the screen that are very distracting.

So while I feel like the ergonomics are a winner, I would say pump the brakes on excitement for this device. Yet another early QC issue on a Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3683.JPG
Views:	2720
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	148273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3684.JPG
Views:	2505
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	148274  
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Their quality control seems really hit or miss, it seems! What we've seen so far is that the screen is pretty much perfect, so we know it's supposed to be great. Unlike Paperwhite, especially the earlier ones, where shades and splotches are almost expected. Might be fine for PW, but in a device that costs this much it's unacceptable.

Last edited by newkindlefun; 04-27-2016 at 02:03 PM.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
That looks really bad - hope they sort you out with a good replacement quickly.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Im pretty sure you can get that exchanged, no?
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm sorry for your disappointment but that very quickly extinguished any 'need' in me for the newest ereader.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm sorry for your disappointment but that very quickly extinguished any 'need' in me for the newest ereader.
It's a mistake though, it's not how it is in any other pics/reviews. It would be the same if one of the lamps didn't work at all. Disappointing, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
Im pretty sure you can get that exchanged, no?
Yeah. But international buyers need to be watchful. If I had bought and gotten that, it would be a pain in the ass and expensive to return for an exchange. I'm waiting to see how common this thing will be. If it's common then it's a huge problem.

Last edited by newkindlefun; 04-27-2016 at 02:29 PM.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Sadly, my Oasis is just the same. I do like the black cover and the device itself looks awesome. But on the side you can see the lights and shadows caused by the leds. This leads to a very distracting reading experience, especially when reading in landscape mode. This is unacceptable for such an expansive device!
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
derbin
derbin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, this is really disappointing...I returned an Aura H2O because the lighting wasn't uniform enough for me, and this is worse! I had hoped the extra LEDs would have made things better. My old Kindle 3 is on its last legs and now I have no idea what to do.
derbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
JulyB
JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes, that doesn't look right. There looks like there is some colour difference in the corners as well. While, if I tilt it and squint, I can see that there are lights, my Oasis is white all the way across and the LEDs, while not invisible, are almost there. Considering that they're at the front, they'll probably never disappear completely.

But yes, it looks like you have got a duff one. Sorry to hear it, that must be very upsetting.
JulyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
The Oasis really does feel great, but the lighting is such a disappointment. I really had high hopes that they finally figured it out. I'm having flashbacks to the first Paperwhite and when Voyage first came out.

I will exchange it because the ergonomics really feel awesome... but definitely disappointed. Guessing if I return it I'll have to wait until they come back in stock, too.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
The Oasis really does feel great, but the lighting is such a disappointment. I really had high hopes that they finally figured it out. I'm having flashbacks to the first Paperwhite and when Voyage first came out.

I will exchange it because the ergonomics really feel awesome... but definitely disappointed. Guessing if I return it I'll have to wait until they come back in stock, too.
They may have a small allotment set aside for exchanges.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
That stinks. I didn't think it possible to make a worse screen than the Voyage but I was wrong. Hopefully it's just a quality control problem and not something endemic to the Oasis.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
chever
chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Glo
Collected my Oasis today and noticed the same gradient problem as my Voyage, but instead of going from top to bottom it goes from left to right, which I think is actually worse.

Really disappointed this is still an issue especially on a device this expensive.

Taking it back for a refund as may as well stick with the Voyage.

I love the new design and cover but the screen will just annoy me.
chever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: PW2, PW3, Fire 7, Fire HD8
I own 2 PW3's and 2 PW2's.... very familiar with "shadow cones" appearing at the bottom where the 4 LED's are (Only 4 LED's on the Paperwhites)

In your pictures of the Oasis screen, it looks to me like there are 10 shadow cones along one side only... is that the thick side with the buttons or the other thin side?

I honestly didn't expect ANY screen abnormalities or artifacts with this newest Kindle device, since they have had so much production experience and so many customer complaints and device exchanges/replacements have been done since the first Paperwhite was introduced. I was really in hopes that increasing the number of LED's from 4 to 10 would make the light much more even and avoid any "shadow cones"

I am so sorry that this has happened to you... hopefully Amazon will make it right... Keep us informed, as that will help others

Thanks for sharing this
gmercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chever View Post
Collected my Oasis today and noticed the same gradient problem as my Voyage, but instead of going from top to bottom it goes from left to right, which I think is actually worse.

Really disappointed this is still an issue especially on a device this expensive.

Taking it back for a refund as may as well stick with the Voyage.

I love the new design and cover but the screen will just annoy me.
Wow, that certainly is a concern for those who can see the gradient on Voyages. Wonder what is preventing them from getting it "right". Is it the glass?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote