Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #1
knorris
knorris began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre Editor: Insert Special Character error

Display of Special Characters is in a single column down the LHS of the page and is also incomplete for any of the character sets inspected.

I think the fault began with Calibre 3; it had been working beautifully before then.

Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit
knorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Looks just like it did before on my linux system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170701_095041.png
Views:	240
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	157664  
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
knorris

Thanks for reply.

So it's an idiosyncratic machine thing? Any ideas how to proceed? This has been with me now for a week.

I tried with two, unrelated epub ebooks but same result.

The first row of your special character display appears as a column; any attempt to reorganise the characters fails. Maximising the window just shows the foreshortened column with no option for scrolling.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The opened book doesn't the diaply of that dialog. Try dragging the separator in the middle to resize the character display portion of the window.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:09 AM   #5
knorris

Tried the middle separator both ways but no change. If I stretch the window downwards, actually fewer characters become available. Most are available when scrolling when the "vertical" height of the window is minimised. Strange.

I also just rebooted the system and only opened Calibre but with the same result.

I can work around it with Character Map, but the Special Character Window was such a boon in Editor; I'm proofing up a copy of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, for an educational something to do, and it's got odd characters everywhere.
Advert
Old 07-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run the editor in a terminal and see if anything is printed out. Most likely some incompatibility between Qt and your system.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:57 AM   #7
knorris

Terminal output:
belly@antonina2:~$ calibre-debug --edit-bookTurning on automatic hidpi scaling
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 112.286084142 x 112.758381503
Using calibre Qt style: True

(calibre-debug:6179): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(calibre-debug:6179): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Old 07-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm dont see anything suspicuous there, sorry.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
knorris

Thanks for the input.
I've dropped back to 2.85.1 and the editor now works fine.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
knorris

For me, this error (no. of special characters restricted and as one vertical row only) still remains in Calibre 3.7 but everything works fine in 2.85.1

AFAIK, everything in my Ubuntu 16.04.3 (64bit) is up-to-date.

Can you suggest a way of tracking it down?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nope I dont have any new insights to offer.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
RelUnrelated
RelUnrelated is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Same issue for me in 3.8 (has been since the version 3 upgrade). It's in addition to the dark text/dark GTK background issue.

The only thing terminal in debug mode gives me is repeated
Code:
(calibre-debug:4944): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Last edited by RelUnrelated; 09-24-2017 at 07:02 PM.
RelUnrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

For the dartk colors issue, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1719120
Old 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
calmeilles
calmeilles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For the dartk colors issue, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1719120
Not getting that but I do see the described behaviour with the insert special character dialogue box.

As you'll see here it won't scroll down beyond D

Code:
Linux nine 4.4.0-101-generic #124-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 10 18:29:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
matthew@nine:~$ calibre --version
calibre (calibre 3.12)
Since I've only recently started using the editor heavily I don't recall if it was different in earlier releases.

calmeilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmeilles View Post
Not getting that but I do see the described behaviour with the insert special character dialogue box.

As you'll see here it won't scroll down beyond D

Code:
Linux nine 4.4.0-101-generic #124-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 10 18:29:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
matthew@nine:~$ calibre --version
calibre (calibre 3.12)
Since I've only recently started using the editor heavily I don't recall if it was different in earlier releases.

Spoiler:
Not able to duplicate here.
Code:
calibre 3.12  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.8.0-53-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.8.0-53-generic', '#56~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 16 01:18:56 UTC 2017')
Python 2.7.12
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-25 10-22-11.png
Views:	341
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	160225  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote