Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Text messages justified or left aligned?

Hello

I'm designing an ebook in which a couple of the protagonists send text messages to each other, which are quoted in the book, and I'm trying to work out a way to show the text message in a distinctive way. I can't just use italics since the author uses italics in four or five different ways - emails, postcards, text messages, inner thoughts, and (occasionally) for emphasis.

Is the text in a text message on an iPhone justified, or left aligned?

I don't have an iPhone, and rarely use the cell phone I have.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Put the text messages in a sans-serif font. That would show a difference.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Put the text messages in a sans-serif font. That would show a difference.
Thanks, Jon. But the standard font in the ebooks I do is sans-serif, and I have used serif font for the postcards.

I suppose I could use monospace, but I'd rather match the appearance I use for text messages as much as possible to what shows on an iPhone screen.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Jon. But the standard font in the ebooks I do is sans-serif, and I have used serif font for the postcards.

I suppose I could use monospace, but I'd rather match the appearance I use for text messages as much as possible to what shows on an iPhone screen.
iphone messages are left aligned.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, kyteflyer
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks, kyteflyer
Text messages on the iPhone are displayed in a "speech bubble" - perhaps you could use something like that as a distinguishing feature?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Text messages on the iPhone are displayed in a "speech bubble" - perhaps you could use something like that as a distinguishing feature?
Thanks, Harry. That's an interesting idea.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Um... sans-serif for the body font... That's just wrong. There is a poll on MR that states that most people prefer a serif font for reading. And to be honest, when I see a book in sans-serif, I think pirated with a poor conversion or someone who doesn't have a clue on how to make a good looking eBook.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Um... sans-serif for the body font... That's just wrong. There is a poll on MR that states that most people prefer a serif font for reading. And to be honest, when I see a book in sans-serif, I think pirated with a poor conversion or someone who doesn't have a clue on how to make a good looking eBook.
Let's agree to differ.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
To each their own. Why would you think it is pirated?
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
To each their own. Why would you think it is pirated?
Because a lot of poor conversions come out in Mobi as sans-serif where most legal Mobi are serif.