Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
You're not the only one.

Things that obviously should be symmetrical but aren't (one of a row of square items slightly out of line, for instance), mini-blinds with the concave side toward the room, slightly open drawers, and, yes, those broadcaster logos, all drive me nuts. And lower-case forum logos (also greengrocers' apostrophes, misused commas, inconsistent spacing, and that thing people do with semicolons).
What do you think of words like phone and paper, as in the shortened versions of telephone and newspaper?

'phone and 'paper would be the correct use of apostrophes for those words, but I find them really annoying. Greengrocers would be another — 'grocers.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by petkusj View Post
So I’ve taken to having the computer read back to me what I’ve written and follow along. In Microsoft Word, just open the Speech window (in Office 2004 for Mac I have to right click in one of the toolbars), select the text you want spoken, and click Speak Selection.
Good tip, Petkusj. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
petkusj
petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Good tip, Petkusj. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
You're welcome. I'm amazed this has generated as much interest as it has. Oh, I can't remember if I warned people about this: there are some words that the computer voice pronounces in such a way as to drive a railroad spike through your brain, and of course it is a word that you use again and again.

In my case, the word was "yeah," which the computer pronounces in a slovenly dead end kid kind of way that makes you want to smack somebody.

And in the book I'm writing now, the word is "miss." And it's a Regency mystery, so the word is said a lot.
petkusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Where is the speech window?

It took me awhile, but I finally found a good proofreader.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 04-25-2011 at 09:25 AM.
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
petkusj
petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.petkusj can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Where is the speech window?
It is kind of hard to find. I had to CTRL or right click somewhere in one of the existing button bars and selected it from the list.

Or from the Tools menu, choose Customize/Customize Toolbars/Menus.

Jennifer
Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
People like that aren't as common as you think, and the chance of finding one within your immediate family are pretty remote. I believe it's a very mild form of autism that makes such people strive for perfection, and people who can do it well also find it impossible to watch TV with broadcaster logos in the corner of the screen. Mistakes, or things that are "wrong" just jump out of the page (or screen) that "normal" people wouldn't notice.
I'm a bit of a typo hound myself and do provide typo counts at the bottom of my reviews, but I've never really considered "very mild autism" as a possible reason for it. I don't consider myself a perfectionist either. With that said, I must admit I really, really, really hate those logos at the bottom of the TV screen.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #22
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
To some extent, I'm blessed with horrendous memory problems (though it's less of a blessing in other arenas ). As a result, proofing something short (in the 6k word range) after a single good night's sleep usually allows me to get past much of the reading what I remember writing roadblock. But I haven't yet put myself to the test of proofing something much, much longer, or for that matter, proofing something literary where I might well be more likely to miss the trees for the forest.

I'm going to tuck this one away to try on my first novel. Thanks petkusj.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #23
petkusj

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'm going to tuck this one away to try on my first novel. Thanks petkusj.
You're very welcome, David!

Jennifer