Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #46
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
The wiki is a good ideea. I tried accessing it, but i only got text. Seems i have to save the file then rename it to xml.

Now we just need to add some more feeds.

Some ideas:
www.damninteresting.com (great articles)
www.lifehacker.com
www.boingboing.net
www.engadget.com
www.slashdot.com
www.wired.com
www.techcrunch.com

etc....
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 AM   #47
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, the wiki doesn't allow file uploads on non-media files, so for now you will have to save the XML to file and import it. I'll add the rest of my feeds tonight.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #48
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sorry about that... if you're logged in to the Wiki, you can now also upload XML files and others should be able to directly download them.

geekraver, what do you think if we slightly reorganize the Wiki entries... I think it's easier to maintain a single page with links to all XML files to download. Suggestions?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #49
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Sorry about that... if you're logged in to the Wiki, you can now also upload XML files and others should be able to directly download them.

geekraver, what do you think if we slightly reorganize the Wiki entries... I think it's easier to maintain a single page with links to all XML files to download. Suggestions?
Yes, that would be better.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:42 AM   #50
geekraver
Addict

It would be good to make a decision one way or the other and stick with it; that way I could have rss2book import directly from the wiki (and maybe even export, too).
Advert
Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #51
aoni
aoni began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi could someone help me with the correct configuration for cnn.com. Thanks for this great program!

Allen
aoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #52
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
BTW I tried this last night and I still got errors.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #53
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoni
Hi could someone help me with the correct configuration for cnn.com. Thanks for this great program!

Allen
It's on the wiki
Old 11-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #54
geekraver
Addict

Quote:

I've decided to build this in to the app, and to make it easier for me to maintain I'm just going to use my own server. I'll add a 'Publish' button that can be used to publish a feed using WebDAV to my server, and a Subscribe menu entry to pull down any new feeds from the server.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #55
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
The Wikipedia sample (started in release 12) is a lot of fun! I subscribed to the Wikipedia sample, then went into rss2book's "customize" screen and typed random words and phrases at the end of the URL and hit the "test" button. Boom, a pdf would open with the wikipedia entry, photos and all... The sample's URL is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/nikola_tesla - replace "nikokola_tesla" with "the_clash" or "sony_reader" or "robocop" and hit the "test" button each time. It's like surfing Wikipedia in pdf. Of course, you'll want to save your favorites to the Reader.
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #56
kahm
kahm is on a distinguished road

Device: 505/Librie/Zaurus/iPhone
Okay, I'm having a heck of a time getting this to work. I've got HTML doc working, etc, and when I get an actual working feed it seems to work perfectly.

Problem is, most of the feeds aren't working. Seems to be a problem with the Content Element field.

Take Slashdot, for example. Their feed is: http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot

The XML in the wiki is very basic. Just the feed name and get $link. WHen I do that and test it, all I get in the log window is:
Processing feed Slashdot
2006-11-29T00:21:00+00:00 is in range
Putting description in the Content element field nets me the same thing. If I put link in the Content element field then it "works", showing me the list of article titles and their links:
If I put title in the Content Element field, it doesn't work. The log shows me something else happening:
Processing feed Slashdot
2006-11-29T00:21:00+00:00 is in range

Final content:
null
No content for Barney Surrenders To the EFF
2006-11-28T22:32:00+00:00 is in range

Final content:
null
No content for Easy Throw-Away Email Addresses
2006-11-28T21:51:00+00:00 is in range
WHat the heck is going on here?

I can get slashdot working by using the link element and the content extractor, but it's slow and cludgy, and doesn't format well.

I do have one basic feed that does work - digg. Also, the dilbert one seems to work as well.

Can anyone help me?
kahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 AM   #57
geekraver
Addict

I found the problem; I introduced a bug at some point that caused the app to silently stop processing if the description element in a simple feed contained http:// links. Fixed in release 14.

BTW don't use the Wiki - use the Subscribe option in the File menu to add feeds.

Last edited by geekraver; 11-29-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #58
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
hey geekraver, I am about to clean up the Wiki a bit. Any suggestions what I should do with the xml snippets?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #59
charkins
charkins began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
geekraver:

You mentioned in another thread (Java rss2book in the developer's corner) about possibly releasing your C# code to serve as a basis for Java apps. While that would certainly be helpful, I think it would be possible to get your rss2book app to run under Linux using mono. I've tried already, but mono dies on some unimplemented features of Windows.Forms. It might be possible to rework aspects to avoid using Windows.Forms features that are not implemented in mono, or share the backend and write another front end using Gtk#. Never used .NET myself, but I'd definitely spend some time trying to get it working if the code was available!
charkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #60
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
hey geekraver, I am about to clean up the Wiki a bit. Any suggestions what I should do with the xml snippets?
May as well remove them, thanks!