Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Knobby
Knobby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need some advice on my new e-reader

Hi all! This is my first post here and I would like some advice of you knowledgeable folk.

I've been using my trusty Sony PRS-T1 since januari 2012 and I absolutely love the e-reader concept. Before when I would go on holiday I would take a 20kg bag full of books and would have read right through them before the holiday was even half over! Now i just take my e-reader and don't even need to charge it once.

Having said that, using the same reader daily for 7 years has definitely taken it's toll and it's been having some really annoying issues lately, mostly with the device freezing for minutes on end quite often.

In all that time I haven't really followed new e-reader releases as I was quite happy with what I had. So I actually was under the impression that nowadays the only choice was between Kobo and Kindle and I didn't quite like either.

However after orienting myself I actually find myself with too many options.
As most of the devices seem relatively equal in the price and specs, I would love to have some feedback about the day to day use from people who actually own them.

I'll start with what I find important and what I don't care about, and then I'll list the devices I found and hope to get some feedback on.

Specs:
Must have:
  • HD resolution, around 300dpi.
  • touchscreen
  • built-in light with blue filter
  • epub
  • 6 inch screen or 6,8 at most.
  • price range of €100 - €170 (might stretch to 200 if there is a compelling reason)
Like to have:
  • Waterproof
  • New Oxford English dictionary
  • or ability to load custom dictionaries
  • open system
  • physical buttons (although this is definitely not a deal breaker)
Don't care about (but would not mind having):
  • Wifi
  • Cloud
  • android
And last but not least, I definitely DO NOT want to be locked in to some vendor, so Kindle is right out.

So far I have found the Tolino Vision 4 HD, the Inkbook Prime HD, Pocketbook Touch HD 3 and I suppose I could also live with the Kobo Clara HD and just sideload everything through calibre.

What's putting me off from the Tolino Vision 4 HD is the 2/3rds of the home screen being taken up by their store which i will probably never use. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

The Inkbook Prime HD actually looks really good and I think it might be my favorite atm.

Pocketbook Touch HD 3 I can't seem to find a place where I could buy it, nor a price.

Kobo Clara HD. Looks like a good reader for the money, but I somehow just dislike kobo.

Final remark, I would like to be able to adjust stuff like linespacing, margins and justification on the fly without haveing to convert the epubs in calibre like I have to do now.
I also really like the New Oxford English dictionary that's on my Sony, so would love to have that on my new reader as well.

Anybody who can tell me some of their real world experiences with the above devices?
Knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
First off, it's a widespread misconception that using a Kindle you will be vendor-locked. Actually you don't have to buy anything from Amazon, you can sideload all your previously acquired books and purchases from other vendors. Of course the books must be DRM-free.

True, Kindles cannot read epubs, but it's trivial to convert DRM-free epubs to Kindle formats with Calibre. I have three Kindles in use at the moment, but I buy quite seldom from Amazon. All my books are sideloaded.

The Kindles would be out of the question only if you absolutely don't want to use Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

The Clara is not waterproof - does the Aura H2O2 fit in your budget? I switched from A Paperwhite to a Clara 2 months ago and absolutely LOVED it, then decided I wanted a bigger screen and bought the Aura H2O2 - so good! So good that my wife also decided she wanted one, so I had to buy her one as well. I have yet to put the waterproofing to the test, though
Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Knobby
Knobby began at the beginning.

Device: none
I didn't know that about kindle, however i'm trying to eliminate devices from the shortlist, not add them.

About the Clara: waterproofing is not a must have, but rather something that might help tilt the balance on otherwise equivalent devices.

I was leaning toward the inkbook prime hd, but now I've read that its predecessor, the non-hd prime, only has polish-english dictionaries and no option to add any others. I can't find out if that's also true for the prime hd.
Knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't think the Clara has the dictionary you want.

The kindles don't have blue light filtering.

Just saying.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
If I were you, I would get an Android tablet. Will have touchscreen, and there is an Android app called Twilight (free bluelight filter) that you can install. You can also install the kindle app plus also Calibre Companion (syncs the tablet wirelessly with Calibre.) Also, with the Kindle application you should check out your local library for ebooks. You check them out, then from your Amazon account, you download them wirelessly to the Kindle app on your tablet. I started this for reasons similar to your 20kg bag of books issue. I traveled (by plane) so much that carrying books was a nightmare.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Also, with the Kindle application you should check out your local library for ebooks. You check them out, then from your Amazon account, you download them wirelessly to the Kindle app on your tablet.
That's only true if you live in the US, I believe.

The fact that the OP is looking at Tolino, Inkbook and Pocketbook says they aren't likely US based.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really think you are missing the boat by dismissing Kobo for what seems to be no good reason (at least based on what has been posted so far).

If you use Calibre and DRM removal tools, no device is locked in to any vendor.

Check out the Kobo H2O. From your list, it fulfills all of your Must Haves and most of the rest:
  • HD resolution
  • touchscreen
  • built-in light with blue filter
  • epub
  • 6 inch screen or 6,8 at most
  • price range of €100 - €170
  • Waterproof
  • ability to load custom dictionaries
  • open system
  • Wifi

The only ones missing are:
  • New Oxford English dictionary
  • physical buttons
  • Cloud
  • android

And cloud would be on that list if you buy books from Kobo.

If you drop Waterproofing, you could look at the Clara HD, which otherwise meets all the same requirements.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-10-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

The fact that the OP is looking at Tolino, Inkbook and Pocketbook says they aren't likely US based.
No. see this: http://www.booksonlineguide.eu/guide...ding-libraries

Also it's easy enough to check- just go to the library website.

Last edited by NSILMike; 12-10-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Quote:
with the Kindle application you should check out your local library for ebooks.

Here in Aotearoa/NZ no library that I know of offers direct access via Kindle. The Overdrive integration on the Kobo Clara HD was a delightful bonus when I bought mine, after years of having to sideload on to my Kindle via ADE. A notable win for Kobo here.

Last edited by stuartjmz; 12-10-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 12-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobby View Post
using the same reader daily for 7 years has definitely taken it's toll and it's been having some really annoying issues lately, mostly with the device freezing for minutes on end quite often.
Freezing is likely a result of data corruption. Have you tried to reformat and reload your books? There may be no need to abandon your Sony. I've had my Sony PRS-505 for over 12 years and it still works as well as the day I bought it. The only reason I moved to Kindle was for the frontlight and resizable fonts (eyes are not what they were 12 years ago).
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
No. see this: http://www.booksonlineguide.eu/guide...ding-libraries

Also it's easy enough to check- just go to the library website.
Hmm, checking the first two lines of the link you mentioned, I see this:

Quote:
This text is pointed at public libraries and it is based mainly on the situation in the USA. It is because the USA are ahead of Europe in this issue.
But hey, I don't have time to read the whole article since I'm at work and don't care about checking out Euro library books with a Kindle anyway. If you say it works, I'll believe you know what you are talking about.

but in every other forum I've read on here, I've read that Kindles only work for borrowing library books in the US.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
NSILMike
Guru

Get whatever device you prefer. If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader. The kindle app is what I'm aware of for the USA but there may be others. I'd be surprised if there was a significant alternative for the EU that was unknown in the US... but perhaps there is.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:33 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Get whatever device you prefer. If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader.
Please stop with the misinformation. You cannot load Overdrive library books onto an eink Kindle here in Australia, not in any state library system that I'm aware of.

Here:

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...ticles/1481599

Quote:
"Note: Kindle Books are currently available for U.S. libraries only. "
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #15
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobby View Post
Pocketbook Touch HD 3 I can't seem to find a place where I could buy it, nor a price.
https://www.pocketbook-readers.de/de...x/sArticle/195

EUR 159 + shipping in European Union
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote