Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #1
Lanson
Lanson began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Update, Error message on Ubuntu 12.04

Tried to update Calibre today.

Code:
Setting up command-line completion...
Failed to find directory to install bash completions, using default.

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Setting up completion failed with error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 748, in setup_completion
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 506, in write_completion
	  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 27, in <module>
	  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/monotonic.py", line 7, in <module>
	RuntimeError: Failed to load the monotonic module with error: /opt/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages/calibre/plugins/monotonic.so: undefined symbol: clock_gettime

Setting up desktop integration...
Creating un-installer: /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall

There were 1 warnings

* Setting up completion failed with error:
Calibre is still running, but something went wrong.
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
glibc on your computer is too old. It appears to be missing clock_gettime()/clock_settime()

IIRC you need glibc 2.17 at least, which was released four years ago.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
Lanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
glibc on your computer is too old. It appears to be missing clock_gettime()/clock_settime()

IIRC you need glibc 2.17 at least, which was released four years ago.
Ok, thank you for answering so quickly.
Seems i have to stop updating calibre til having updated the OS (*).
Thought these Ubuntu LTS versions would keep me away from those problems.

As i said Calibre is still running and i do not recognize any bad behaviour caused by the glibc dependency.
Or should i reinstall the older version of calibre?

Thanx

Lanson

(*) i am unable to find current versions of glibc for 12.04
Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
At the moment it will only prevent the viewer from working, nothing else. In any case, for the next release of calibre this commit will take care of it:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...6af7081a7d7c0d
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
No. LTS versions cause these types of problems.

LTS means that they get everything "right" and therefore you shouldn't update anything and it will continue to work.
But you went ahead and wanted modern versions of calibre, so you installed software from outside the LTS time freeze. And LTS bit you.

In case you didn't guess, I run Arch Linux, a rolling-release, bleeding-edge distro.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Lanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No. LTS versions cause these types of problems.

LTS means that they get everything "right" and therefore you shouldn't update anything and it will continue to work.
But you went ahead and wanted modern versions of calibre, so you installed software from outside the LTS time freeze. And LTS bit you.

In case you didn't guess, I run Arch Linux, a rolling-release, bleeding-edge distro.
Ok, now i understand my error.
I interpreted LTS as a kind of backport guarantee and will think about my update strategy.

But to tell truth:
Calibre is the only program that i am updating manually.

Offtopic:
I am no programmer and just average joe who is happy to have an absolutely reliable OS, in this case the 12.04 LTS.
There was no offense intended in asking about the calibre-install-error message.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No offense taken.

LTS is perfectly okay, assuming you prefer stable, reliable, tested software without any updates other than security fixes. Which is a valid choice, even if it isn't my choice.

I was merely explaining how the error came to be possible, despite the LTS promise of reliability.

Personally, if I were to run a Ubuntu LTS distro, I would prefer the latest LTS (16.04 currently). Or just the latest stable release.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post

As i said Calibre is still running and i do not recognize any bad behaviour caused by the glibc dependency.
Or should i reinstall the older version of calibre?

Thanx

Lanson

(*) i am unable to find current versions of glibc for 12.04
12.04 LTS precise
Code:
Release Date: 2012-04-26
End Of Life: 2017-04

glibc 2.15  I thought they updated glibc to 2.17?
Right now all you are getting is the base security updates. You have 9 mouths to update before all support is stopped.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
Lanson

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Right now all you are getting is the base security updates. You have 9 mouths to update before all support is stopped.
bernie
Offtopic:

Yes, i am aware of the 5 year lifecycle of LTS
BUT there is the little problem of me being some kind of family-admin.
I am maintaining 6 Ubuntu machines in the whole family and want all of them to run the same OS version.
Some parts of the family are not quite ready for the changes that come with the new LTS...
The same people who still do not accept that WinXP died.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Which changes?

I genuinely don't know, since I don't use Ubuntu anymore.
But personally, I would tend to prefer Linux Mint if I were using anything Debian-based.

Chances are, whatever the changes are can be gotten around by customizing the Desktop Environment and support software you have installed.
I'd go with something which shows long-term reliability in the trust department, as opposed to Gnome or the disaster-that-is-Unity. Perhaps Cinnamon.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
Lanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Which changes?

I genuinely don't know, since I don't use Ubuntu anymore.
But personally, I would tend to prefer Linux Mint if I were using anything Debian-based.

Chances are, whatever the changes are can be gotten around by customizing the Desktop Environment and support software you have installed.
I'd go with something which shows long-term reliability in the trust department, as opposed to Gnome or the disaster-that-is-Unity. Perhaps Cinnamon.
So, the friday-update came and everything is running perfectly.
Thankx.

The LTS-problem:
The whole family is running on LTS, but everybody has customized LTS.
I am running Gnome (3.4 and happy with it), wife has KDE. There are some unities, that will be no problems after the update.

Yes i will bring all to the current LTS, but i have a lot to do persuasion to get my hands on their computers cause everything is running.
I think am not able to get my father in law from XP to Unity and now (two years later) to Mint
Old 07-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, duh, you should have moved him from XP to Mint.
Still, we shall take the small victories -- he isn't using Windows anymore.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Mint has a LTS (and a clean UI)
https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote