Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #2386
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You do know that's CRussel, right?
Hey, that extra L matters. My first name is Phillip, with two L's. Of course, people are as likely to call me Paul, Hey what's the big deal, one biblical P is as good as the next.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #2387
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Yes, I did not mean personal conflicts. I should have posted a more detailed answer like CRussell did.

And the announcement to write a fifth book was only made a few years ago.
Apache
I wasn't trying to say that there were personal conflicts, I was just saying that it's been a long time. If the 5th book was only announced a few years ago, that makes more sense.

Weber has had a lot of health issues over the years and he's at that age (66) where most writers tend to slow down a lot. Personally, I want to see him finish off the War God series now that he's restarted it. Right now, that seems to me to be his only series that isn't mostly wrapped up.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #2388
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
You do know that's CRussel, right?
Opps. Russell was my father's name and I automatically typed the other L without even thinking about it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #2389
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I wasn't trying to say that there were personal conflicts, I was just saying that it's been a long time. If the 5th book was only announced a few years ago, that makes more sense.

Weber has had a lot of health issues over the years and he's at that age (66) where most writers tend to slow down a lot. Personally, I want to see him finish off the War God series now that he's restarted it. Right now, that seems to me to be his only series that isn't mostly wrapped up.
I could have been clearer if I had reread what I wrote before publishing it.

I don't know about all of his series being wrapped up except The War God series. He finished up current arc of the Safehold series, but has a new book due out January 2019. So it seems that the Safehold series will continue. Health issues can seriously impact even a prolific author like David Weber. My wife has some serious health issues and it can make doing even little things onerous.
Apache
Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #2390
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I could have been clearer if I had reread what I wrote before publishing it.

I don't know about all of his series being wrapped up except The War God series. He finished up current arc of the Safehold series, but has a new book due out January 2019. So it seems that the Safehold series will continue. Health issues can seriously impact even a prolific author like David Weber. My wife has some serious health issues and it can make doing even little things onerous.
Apache
Yes, I have the new Safehold book on pre-order.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #2391
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Yes, I have the new Safehold book on pre-order.
Me too.
Apache
Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #2392
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll wait until it arrives, and then likely use an Audible credit on it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #2393
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I abandoned Antic Hay read by Simon Vance; for some reason it wasn't working for me, even though I enjoy that kind of book and Vance is in my narrator pantheon. I'll finish it in text, which will go faster.

I picked up Wodehouse's Money for Nothing read by Jonathan Cecil in place of it. Unfortunately, I'm going to the Wodehouse well too often, to the detriment of my enjoyment. The language is as entertaining as always, but Wodehouse keeps writing the same book (and I'm not slurring the Master) and I need to pace myself better in pursuit of my long-term goal of reading everything he wrote in order. This one is a little too predictable.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #2394
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd agree, issybird. As much as I enjoy Wodehouse, I have to read them with some separation.

For myself, I'm currently listening to Foreigner, the first of the eponymous series by CJ Cherryh. I nominated this for the January read of the New Leaf Book Club, though it looks unlikely that it will be selected. None the less, it reminded me that I hadn't read it in a very long time and it would be interesting to read the first book now that I've read so many later ones. Still a superb book and I'm very much enjoying it. And Daniel Thomas May is an excellent narrator.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #2395
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Finished up A Call to Vengeance. It's a worthy read, good but not great. As I've said before, it's pretty obvious that much of the book was written by the co-writers rather than Weber. It wrapped up the several main threads, but left enough open to write another book if demand justifies it.

Next up, Waylander, which is the third book in the Drenai series as published, but actually takes place before the second book. They used the same narrator for all the Drenai books. I actually have all 11 Drenai books, but I try to alternate between series/authors/styles to keep from getting burned out on any particular author.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #2396
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Listening to Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Good fantasy, but I put it off for a long time because of his arrogance towards his readers. However, since I got this on a sale before I found out about that, it was time to listen to it. Very, very long.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 AM   #2397
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
For myself, I'm currently listening to Foreigner, the first of the eponymous series by CJ Cherryh. I nominated this for the January read of the New Leaf Book Club, though it looks unlikely that it will be selected. None the less, it reminded me that I hadn't read it in a very long time and it would be interesting to read the first book now that I've read so many later ones. Still a superb book and I'm very much enjoying it. And Daniel Thomas May is an excellent narrator.
Well, that was a quite enjoyable re-read. I rather think it's time to do a full re-read of the series, since I am still finding it quite enjoyable. I finished the second one, Invader, also read superbly by Daniel Thomas May. But now a slight side trip to read The Scarlet Pimpernel, narrated by Wanda McCaddon.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #2398
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just finished off Waylander and started Red Falcon book 1, one of Glynn Stewart's series. Wayland was very good.

I just started the Red Falcon series. It's going to take some getting use to, they use two different voice acts, one male, one female. I really liked the ebook, it was my introduction to Stewart, but right now, flipping between the two voice talents is more than a bit jarring to me.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:21 AM   #2399
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just finished off Waylander and started Red Falcon book 1, one of Glynn Stewart's series. Wayland was very good.

I just started the Red Falcon series. It's going to take some getting use to, they use two different voice acts, one male, one female. I really liked the ebook, it was my introduction to Stewart, but right now, flipping between the two voice talents is more than a bit jarring to me.
Finished up the Red Falcon book. I never really got use to how they used two voice actors in this one. Basically, chapters from Captain's point of view were read by the male, while chapters from the Mage's point of view were read by the female. However, all male dialog was read by the male, while all female dialog was read by the female. It just didn't work well for me.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #2400
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Currently I'm listening to Burn Bright, book 5 in Patricia Briggs Alpha and Omega series. The narrator is a fellow named Holter Graham who does all five books in the series. I really like him. He does a really good job with the little inflections and pauses that make such a big difference in story telling.

Going back, I see that I bought this book on 2/4/18 and it's just now getting to the top of my listen list. Counting this book, I've listened to 12 of the 35 audiobooks that I bought this year. I suspect that my driving time will increase quite a bit next year, so I expect that I'm going to start whittling down my read stack a lot faster.

I really have two different sets of audio books that I listen to. One set is purely fiction that I listen to in the car, and one a mix of fiction and non-fiction that I listen to when I'm trying to block out office noise.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations