Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 05:07 AM   #1
TomReb3l
TomReb3l began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD resize covers

Hello. I have a Kobo Clara Hd and i manage my books with Calibre.
I convert my pdf to epub with ABBY Fine Reader and then i add them to Calibre. The problem is that even i change the cover in my library with high quality pictures, when i sent the book in Kobo, reduces the size of image to tiny pixels (64x58).
I already tried to configure the Kobo driver to not keep aspect ratio, i tried resize image plugin but always i have the same problem.
Any idea???
I searched the forum but i didn't find any solution so i opened the thread...
TomReb3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReb3l View Post
Hello. I have a Kobo Clara Hd and i manage my books with Calibre.
I convert my pdf to epub with ABBY Fine Reader and then i add them to Calibre. The problem is that even i change the cover in my library with high quality pictures, when i sent the book in Kobo, reduces the size of image to tiny pixels (64x58).
I already tried to configure the Kobo driver to not keep aspect ratio, i tried resize image plugin but always i have the same problem.
Any idea???
I searched the forum but i didn't find any solution so i opened the thread...
When are you seeing this small cover? As the sleep screen? Or on the home screen or in the book lists? The device generates different sized cover images from the book and uses them the different places. But, they all should look the same. And how do you know they are sized 64x58?

Answering the above, should help to know what is happening. But, the way the covers are handled is:

For epubs, the device renders the first page of the book and uses that as the cover. If the first page is displays the image in the corner, then that is what the generated cover will look like when it is displayed. You can fix this in calibre in various ways: Polish books, a conversion or the using the editor are common ways.

For sideload kepubs, the image to be used as a cover is marked in the OPF. A conversion to kepub or the KoboTouchExtended driver will take care of this. The device will extract the image and resize it as needed.

When you configure the driver to send the cover to the device when sending the book, it will send the cover that is in the calibre library. The driver will resize the cover down to fit the screen to the expected sizes for the device. There are three sizes used in different places, so the
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
TomReb3l
TomReb3l began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I see that in my device books list and yes the image is in the left corner. The other is just White. The exactly size is shown in calibre in my device books. In Calibre library is 500x735 in my device shows 58x64 even if i change cover in metadata settings. I'm always add epubs in my calibre library and then in my device.
I Just done what you say and the cover now is OK in my device.
I will try to make another book and I will reply the solution because I "polish the book" and "edit it" so I don't know which is the right thing to do...
By the way THANK YOU very much. You're great!!!!
TomReb3l is offline   Reply With Quote