Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Someone craved, caved....

This is funny, so I couldn't resist

From MSNBC:

My iPad tryst: I craved, I caved, I gave up

---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ifail.widec.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	52046  
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I had to dump the iPad. The longer I had it, the more I felt like I was cheating on my other portable devices and denying their virtue.
lol, I do feel kinda bad for my Sony..just sitting there accusingly.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
lol, but at the risk of stating the obvious, not everybody wants an iPad, not everyone's going to get along with it if they get one; why is that such a surprise? Or maybe it's only a surprise to journalists looking for an easy story to file

I think this response, also from MSNBC:-

A welcome addition to the household

probably sums it up nicely for a lot of people; neither life-changing or magical, but very nice to have around - or as Ferris Bueller might say, 'If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up...'

Last edited by petermillard; 05-22-2010 at 04:09 AM. Reason: bad link
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
lol, but at the risk of stating the obvious, not everybody wants an iPad, not everyone's going to get along with it if they get one; why is that such a surprise? Or maybe it's only a surprise to journalists looking for an easy story to file

I think this response, also from MSNBC:-

A welcome addition to the household

probably sums it up nicely for a lot of people; neither life-changing or magical, but very nice to have around - or as Ferris Bueller might say, 'If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up...'
I think it is interesting-you rarely see articles about "Why I'm not buying a Nook" or "I returned my ZuneHD" or "10 Reasons not to buy an Netbook". But people are so eager to tell everyone why they won't use Apple products. Adamant even.

But I guess its just hand in hand with the overexposure and positive attention they get...everyone wants to chime in

Last edited by kjk; 05-22-2010 at 01:36 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
But I guess its just hand in hand with the overexposure and positive attention they get...everyone wants to chime in
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
To be fair, I've seen more articles about people buying and liking (or buying and not liking, or why they won't buy) for the iPad than most other gadgets in general.

Compared to e-readers, it's a lot more mainstream device. It's getting a ton more marketing as it's Apple, and it does more than read. While it was a silly statement by Jobs, he's right that reading just isn't that mainstream. Very few of my friends read anything other than newspapers and magazines for leisure--and they're mostly people with Ph Ds!

So you're right, it's the hot item, and everyone wants to chime in.

I don't intend to get one, but as everyone here knows I'm dying for a tablet that does fit my needs. So I'm all for the publicity as it shows the interest in tablet devices and will further encourage a deluge of them over the next couple of years.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I think it is interesting-you rarely see articles about "Why I'm not buying a Nook" or "I returned my ZuneHD" or "10 Reasons not to buy an Netbook". But people are so eager to tell everyone why they won't use Apple products. Adamant even.

Yes, I've found that funny, too.

This is the second column of this kind I've seen about iPad. The common theme seems to be, I lusted after a product I didn't need, but bought it anyway, so I had to return it. Um, how about you don't buy things you don't need? If I acted stupidly, I wouldn't go write a column announcing it to everyone, lol. (Next week's column: My new Mercedes made my Toyota jealous, so I returned it.)

I've not owned Apple computers before and have been surprised by how much anti-Apple, anti-iPad fervor exists. Geez, I buy what works and switch if something better comes along. I can't see myself getting amped up about any product I wouldn't want to own. I'm into armchair psychology, though, so I find the whole thing interesting.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It is silly. Reminds me of the fanboy wars you get on video game sites between supporters of the various consoles.

I'm not a fan of Apple's business strategy or most of their products. But I have no hatred of them. Most of their stuff just doesn't fit my needs.

At the same time, it's not just a problem of irrational haters of all things apple. Apple also has a huge following of fanboys that promote and defend all their gadgets to the death. Just like the video game consoles. Hard to have discussions without things devolving into flame wars between haters and fanboys, leaving the neutral people on the sidelines.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It is silly. Reminds me of the fanboy wars you get on video game sites between supporters of the various consoles.

I'm not a fan of Apple's business strategy or most of their products. But I have no hatred of them. Most of their stuff just doesn't fit my needs.

At the same time, it's not just a problem of irrational haters of all things apple. Apple also has a huge following of fanboys that promote and defend all their gadgets to the death. Just like the video game consoles. Hard to have discussions without things devolving into flame wars between haters and fanboys, leaving the neutral people on the sidelines.
Yes, I've seen those posts, too. Apple apparently can do no wrong in some people's eyes. Yikes. They're just products. Some work better than others, depending on individual need. I figure that's life. Petite-size pants fit me best; I don't go around insisting that everyone wear 'em, or that they must otherwise be crazed fans of longer pants, lol.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:

Actually, when the Kindle first came, there were sites with Top 10 Things I Hate About The Kindle, and even on mobileread there were a number of threads about what features the Kindle is missing, or how ugly it is, or how the competition is better.

It's just that more of the Apple crowd is made up of zealots.

It reminds me of the Muhammad cartoon where the prophet says "OTHER PROPHETS HAVE FOLLOWERS WITH A SENSE OF HUMOUR!..."

I can just picture Wozniak on the couch

Anyway, I thought the piece was well-written an often funny, and the photo was hilarious.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard

If iPad turns out to be a success (too soon to say for sure), it won't be Apple zealots who turn it into one. Apple didn't sell tens of millions of iPods, iPod touches and iPhones to zealots; there aren't enough of them.

Zealots will always buy, so the test is non-zealots like me. I bought one because there's no real tablet competition right now. So let's see what competitors deliver now that iPad has set the bar. I want more battery life. I want to buy and use right away, without tinkering. I want to read books from as many vendors as possible. I want apps that match or better what I already use. I don't care who makes the device.

It's probably best to split the market, to have Apple focus on tablets that are simple and streamlined, for non-techies like me, and to have Android device makers make more complicated ones for people who like lots of flexibility. Judging by the Android tablet thread, most of the stuff the techies want to do with a tablet isn't anything I want to struggle with.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I just don't get the people who waited for days to be the first to buy an iPad. Waiting in line to get tickets for a once-in-a-lifetime concert or sporting event, I can understand (having done so myself), but for a commercial product that's going to be released every day thereafter by the millions? Nope.

That's what makes me not want to get an Apple product - the over-zealousness of its fans. I'm always suspect of unquestioning devotion.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I just don't get the people who waited for days to be the first to buy an iPad. Waiting in line to get tickets for a once-in-a-lifetime concert or sporting event, I can understand (having done so myself), but for a commercial product that's going to be released every day thereafter by the millions? Nope.

That's what makes me not want to get an Apple product - the over-zealousness of its fans. I'm always suspect of unquestioning devotion.
I assume you don't have a playstation, xbox, psp, ds,games....

I don't buy things because of what others do or think about them. I buy things because I find them worth the money

Last edited by athlonkmf; 05-23-2010 at 06:37 AM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
This is funny, so I couldn't resist

From MSNBC:

My iPad tryst: I craved, I caved, I gave up

---
Thanks for that. I suspect there are many similar stories. I'd love to have a fully-functional tablet computer but it just doesn't exist yet.....maybe soon...maybe soon...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I've seen plenty of those....particularly about the Nook.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote